IGNORE THE CALORIES BURNED ON THE MACHINES

Options
Hi, I just did 30 mins sprints/intervals on a treadmill. My HRM said 245 calories. The machine said 461 calories!!!! Hugely important point if you are eating back your calories . Obviously if I was trying to lose weight and eating back my calories and went off the machine, I would over eat and not lose a thing.
Which probably explains why I have always been quite anti eating back your calories. Only a good theory if you know how many calories you are burning!!!

This must sabotage so many people. I bet MFP is just as bad I wouldn't go off their guesses at exercise calorie buring either!!!

Replies

• RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That's why I always ate some back, but definitely not all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I've always used MFP and treadmill estimates, and lost weight on schedule while losing.

Trial and error. If it's working for you, it's right for you. If it's not, it's tweak things until it does.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i always try to leave about 25 percent of my exercise calories for this veryreason. my treadmill puts me at 360 for 30 mins of intense intervals....lately tho i have been tracking everything as circuit training as it seems to have a lower (and more realistic) calorie burn number. i guess i should invest in a HRM :)
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I thought some calculations seemed weird, so what I have been doing is going to other sites, and entering the same information and taking an average of them, and overriding the MFP number with my own.
    Works for me.

I may be breaking down and buying an HRM though, because it bugs me to not be accurate. (Yes, I'm a little OCD, but I don't care!) :smile:
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I only eat back what my HRM says. Cardio equipment does the opposite for me. It always says I burn WAY lower than what my HRM says.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So far I trust the machines and I'm losing at a good pace. I eat a lot of mine back.