Bread or Carb substitutes - HELP! I'm always still hungry!

Options

Replies

• kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Mashed. Cauliflower.

It changed my life!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I like Thomas's English Muffins (Healthy Start? the blue box) as a substitute for sandwich bread. 100 calories plus a ton of fiber.

While not completely on topic, I find the bars and brownies from Fiber One to be surprisingly filling. I love my carbs, too, so I was pleasantly surprised.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins are awesome -- 100 calories.

I second sandwich thins! Sara Lee's multi grain smells and tastes awesome.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    FLATOUTS!

They are so good and for one whole one it is 100 calories but you only need to use half of it because it is so big.

If you need a good Breakfast option here is my egg wrap recipe:

Ingredients:

2 egg white
    1/2 of one yolk (you can obmit this but it gives it a bit more flavor)
    1/2 oz. of deli meat (your choice I use Boars Heads low sodium chicken)
    sprinkle of cheese
    1/2 of any Flatout
    1 TBSP of light mayo

Directions:

1) Take Mayo and spread on Flatout and then put on plate and save for later.
    2) Separate yolks from whites. Then put both egg whites in bowl and scramble [you can put in 1/2 of yolk at this time if desired].
    3) Add deli meat (torn up) and cheese into eggs.
    4) Mix.
    5) Place Eggs into frying pan and cook eggs until desired dryness.
    6) Once cooked completely, place scrambled eggs on Flatout and fold in half.

Then Enjoy :happy:

Calories: Roughly 150 calories (without yolk) Roughly 180 calories (with yolk)

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • babs24
    babs24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    potatoes potatoes potatoes! all kinds, cooked all ways (minimal oil/butter/fat though) has been a lifesavor for me. I just search for different recipes online. almond flour and coconut flour have also been awesome, like this recipe
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-bread/
  • yogi62
    yogi62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Mock Cornbread

• 1 can Great Northern Beans drained and rinsed
    • 4 eggs or equivalent of eggbeaters
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • ¼ cup Splenda
    Combine all ingredients in a blender and put into a baking dish at 400 degrees. Bake for 20 -25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=9cfae9cf26d9fe46d239499a6031c768
  • 228lrt
    228lrt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Increase your protien intake and lower carbs.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I stick to the complex carbs. Whole wheat bread, tortilla, and pasta. Also brown rice, Couscous, quaina. I always feel drained after a workout if I do not have some carbs in my diet.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have been using Carbquik to get my fix. I have made homemade blueberry muffins, a pumpkin cake and pancakes so far. They have all tasted great! You use it like you would Bisquik. But it only has 2 net carbs per serving. I order it online from netrition.com
    They seem to have the best price on it. just a suggestion.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need bread or carb substitutes, just eat the healthy ones. Chips are not really good though, unless you bake your own or buy expensive baked ones. My munchie substitute is raw veggies like baby carrots, cucumbers, green peppers, dipped in hummus. or about 20 raw almonds, you'd be surprised at how filling that is.
    I'm going to try baking my own pita chips out of whole grain pitas and dipping those in hummus.

edited typos
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The below website is Joseph's Pita. They operate out of Massachusetts and their "Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread" is amazing. They are 60 calories a piece, have 8g of carbs and 4g of fiber, no sugar.

I have not tried any of their other products so can't speak to their taste, but the Flax, Oat Bran, & whole wheat is worth the shipping to buy in bulk and freeze. I've used them to make sandwiches, pita pizza, whatever you might use pita for. I wish you could try it to see what I mean, but these have been a life saver when I'm doing low-carb. Can't say enough good about them, only bad is their location. I now live in Denver, so pick them up when I go home to visit family and now will be ordering them online.

http://www.josephsbakery.com/SubPages/Products/FeaturedProducts.aspx

I need some ideas for bread or carb substitutes for lunch or dinner. I have a few good recipes for low calorie dinners, but unless I have a starch to go with it, I'm hungry again a few minutes later. My husband does not do "chick food" and needs something of substance to eat - and to be honest, if I cook it for him, chances are I'm going to give in and eat it, too.

So what do you guys use instead of bread for sandwiches, pasta, rice, chips for tacos or dips, etc? I had a salad for lunch the other day, and felt really good about it, until I calculated the chips and salsa I had to go with it, just for a little extra "weight" to the meal, and realized just those couple tortilla chips alone blew my daily limit by 300 calories. :(

18526686.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't give up carbs. I eat them in moderation, but I still eat them. It's worked for me so far, 25 lbs down in 3 months.
    This! It's all about portion control.
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    I buy Ole Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Tortillas and use those a lot. I use them for wraps, pizza crusts, baked shell for a taco salad, etc. They are 71 calories, 12 g. fiber, 8 g. protein. 220 mg. sodium. They taste really good too...

I also use Pepperidge Farms 100% whole wheat thin sliced bread, Weight Watchers 100% whole wheat bread, multil grain sandwich rounds (these make awesome pizzas too-the kids love them, and they're only 50 calories per half before toppings).

Can you get those tortillas at Walmart and are they the large or the small size-
  • Gingersnap1017
    Options
    I have the same problem. Have you tried Oroweat Sandwich Thins 100% whole wheat for a sandwich. For one roll (which is 2 pieces) it is only 100 calories. I use these for lunch.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Try "starchy" vegetables. Even most "low carb" diets allow sweet potatoes. Have at them. You can roast them/steam them ahead of time.

If you are just trying to cut back on processed grains and not all carbs, I find white potatoes to also be fantastic for starch cravings. Because...its a starch! Instead of craving it...eat a more nutritions variety of starch from your friendly tubers! If you can find varieties other than Yukon Gold, try those---they have more nutrition and are less starchy (not to mention, are tastier).

If you are committed to limiting starch of any kind, you have two choices.

Choice one: eat a higher fat diet. Fat is satiating and will help with starch cravings.

Choice two: just wait until your body adjusts and stops nagging you. Eventually, it will. The human body can adjust to anything...veganism, heavy reliance on processed foods, high fat, low fat, all meat all the time, near starvation...whether you are making it adjust to something optimal? That's your decision.
  • mingram09
    mingram09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hopefully you are not cutting out all carbs.. it is vital to have them... just be smart about the carbs you eat..
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Josephs pitas and wraps. They come in multiple sizes. The mini pita is 45 cals, 8 carbs, 5 protein, perfest size for a burger or egg sandwich
  • scman111
    scman111 Posts: 4
    Options
    To lose weight you are going to feel some level of hunger. That's what I notice. Some sacrifice must be made. No way around this one.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I discovered miracle noodles and Shirataki noodles, both help when the noodle craving hits, and House Shirataki (Spinach fettucini) is amazing with spaghetti sauce, they are filler no carbs but fill you up and make you think you've had carbs, lol. Pretty much Amazon or coops or health food stores are the only place I've found them, you get them in the cold case.
    There is a great recipe for carb free crackers here:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/flaxcrackers.htm

Other than that, just plan your carbs into your day. Moderation and accept the occassional spike in carbs if you want to have regular spaghetti or something like that.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I was on low carb, I had two recipes that I made up myself and LOVED! Mock-a-roni and Cheese - Cheese sauce over cubed tofu instead of macaroni and I'd also make a Lasagna with sliced tofu instead of noodles. Both were so satisfying (probably because of the cheese) and SO yummy! Also, here's a GREAT snack/appetizer. If you're dong low carb then I assume you are eating more fat than us low calorie dieters, so...mix 50/50 mayo and parmesan cheese. Spoon this onto Zucchini slices and bake at approx 350 until the topping is a nice golden color. You don't need to grease the cookie sheet or anything. They are SOOOO yummy!!! ENJOY!