Ladies, It's not about the sugar....

Options
Ladies,

When TOM strikes and you go all ape and try to kill the poor guy stocking the chocolate shelf, you aren't doing it for the sugar. Really, it's NOT about the sugar.

Women in general are more likely to be anemic (iron deficient) than men are. This is heightened whenever TOM strikes. You are losing iron by the second! When someone is asked to give a good source of iron, one of the first few responses is typically Steak! (Mooooo!!!!!)

Well, there is something better than steak. It is our wonderfully delicious friend, Mr. Chocolate. He's absolutely delicious!

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-iron.php

Stop those chocolate cravings in their tracks with an iron supplement when TOM strikes! It works. I started taking iron a day or two before and during TOM and NO. MORE. CRAVINGS!

So, remember, it's not about your sweet tooth because you don't want it for the sugar!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did know that - I remember being told to eat chocolate while doing exams, for the iron content. The thing is, I hate chocolate, and even more so when I have TOM. It makes me feel sick to think about then. I crave apples and other fresh fruit.
  • mlindahl
    mlindahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did not know that is why I crave Chocolate esp before and during TOM days.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RachelK40
    RachelK40 Posts: 17
    Options
    TOM=TIME OF THE MONTH. :)
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    TOM= Time of the Month

I eat Peanut Butter off the spoon. :wink: It satisfies that creamy sweet flavor but the protein is sooooo good for you and helps with the iron requirement. And the best part is it still feels like a guilty pleasure... :)
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Bump

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TOM = Time of Month.....
  • luvnjbeach
    Options
    Time of Month....it seems i crave everything.....sugar, salt....especially chocolate!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That's odd...I never crave chocolate.. *eyes start to glow green* Hmmm...
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Stupid TOM. I'm anemic to begin with but when TOM strikes, I'm pretty heavy and lose so much that I almost become non-responsive. I'm on iron supplements to help and BC to staunch some of Aunt Flow's damage. Good to know there is a reason behind the chocolate need!
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'll have to give this a try next month. thanks for the info. :smile:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i never crave chocolate :]
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I alaways crave salt....anything salty!!
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    i can eat like a ravenous beast during my T>O>M until I eat some red meat... then my body feels satisfied.
    Im anemic anyways and that week i feel like a vampire snack.... (all drained of life and blood ):laugh: :laugh:
    thats even with iron pills...
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I never crave chocolate..the only chocolate I really LOVE is white..and it isn't a chocolate at all :)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm on iron supplementation for medical reasons, and I still crave chocolate at TOM just as much as ever. Interestingly, though, now I crave dark chocolate (as dark as possible), while before going on iron, I craved milk or white...hmmm...something to do with sugar content? You may be onto something here.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • jbrehm28
    jbrehm28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So what is exactly a "normal amount" of water weight to gain during TOM? Does anyone else find that their weight loss completely slows down or stalls? Mine tends to for about 10 days.. thoughts?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bumping thread