Rowing Machine for full Upper Body Workout?

Options
Just curious, is the rowing machine a full upper body workout or are toning exercises necessary?

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Just curious, is the rowing machine a full upper body workout or are toning exercises necessary?

I rotate the rower in for 1-2 workouts per week. It is less upper body than you think. Most of your power comes from your legs, and then you follow with your arms. I find it is MUCH MUCH harder than the elliptical. I finally made it to 20 minutes straight last week. It is also really easy to get your heart rate up really high (and it doesn't seem like you are working that hard).

You still want to do some strength training too. It will make the rowing easier. Start with pushups since they are full body and great for your arms, chest and back if you don't want to use weights.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It will work the "pulling" muscles: middle back, lats, rear delts, biceps

It won't work any of the "pushing" muscles: chest, front delts, triceps
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll stick with my regular routine which is 30 min strength training three times a week and the rower 30 minutes three times a week. Now I just have to focus on that interval training on the treadmill. I'm also going to add an hour of yoga twice a week.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    As stated, a typical rower is driven by the legs, if you're pulling with your shoulders or back, you risk injury because until you get the flywheel going, you're gonna be pulling a brick wall.

It's not really a strength machine, so it's not the same as using free weights.

It is however, a beast of a cardio workout.

If you want to make it more of a strength training workout, you can always lower your stroke rate down to the lower teens and set the resistance up to 10. It's like taking the first stroke of a race from a stopped heavy boat every single time. You can also set the slide end up on a pair of milk crates and row uphill.

There's a lot of "fun" drills and modifications that can be made to train technique and get a bit of variety in your workout. If you want some ideas you can send me a message. I used to coach a high school team so I have a huge book of evil erg workouts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ...... I used to coach a high school team so I have a huge book of evil erg workouts.

Evil erg workouts :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I might just take you up on that! I try to get on mine 2 or 3 times a week for 30 minutes at a time (usually in the low 6,000m), I find it's really helped my swimming.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    One thing I try to do when I use the rowing machine is what my trainer has me do when we are strength training: When I pull back I try to squeeze my scapulas together. It makes it harder for me and really increases the pull I'm getting.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    I did a google search on proper technique and realized I wasn't using my legs enough. That would explain why I thought it worked the upper body so much. What a difference proper form and technique makes. What a workout I got in today!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I did a google search on proper technique and realized I wasn't using my legs enough. That would explain why I thought it worked the upper body so much. What a difference proper form and technique makes. What a workout I got in today!

my legs are sore after a rowing workout! :)
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    my legs weren't sore but my back and abs were. I'm apparently doing it wrong.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    Jade;
    Oh, I felt it today, that's for sure. Looking forward to our challenge. Great idea! :)
  • newmein2013
    Options
    As stated, a typical rower is driven by the legs, if you're pulling with your shoulders or back, you risk injury because until you get the flywheel going, you're gonna be pulling a brick wall.

It's not really a strength machine, so it's not the same as using free weights.

It is however, a beast of a cardio workout.

If you want to make it more of a strength training workout, you can always lower your stroke rate down to the lower teens and set the resistance up to 10. It's like taking the first stroke of a race from a stopped heavy boat every single time. You can also set the slide end up on a pair of milk crates and row uphill.

To Withvein: (Apparently I don't have the hang of the "Quote" yet, lol.

Thanks. I think I'll take you up on that offer but not just yet. I just started interval training and I don't want to make too many changes at one time. I'll send you a friend request.
    There's a lot of "fun" drills and modifications that can be made to train technique and get a bit of variety in your workout. If you want some ideas you can send me a message. I used to coach a high school team so I have a huge book of evil erg workouts.
  • newmein2013
    Options
    my legs weren't sore but my back and abs were. I'm apparently doing it wrong.

Try this video link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3677219739586281796
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One thing that may help your technique as you push off the foot stretchers is to imagine the handle and the seat are connected by a bar. Your butt should not move if your hands don't move. This is called shooting the slide and you end up going from a strong position to folded in half, giving you a banana back and making you recruit your shoulders and back muscles and possibly straining them.