What to do when you do not know the info on the food you hav

Options
I had lunch with a girl friend of mine today, we went to Bangkok Kitchen (a Thia place in the Toledo Ohio area) I asked if they had the Nut. info on the meals and thet said no.

How do I add something to the day when I don't know what it is?

Replies

• rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I had lunch with a girl friend of mine today, we went to Bangkok Kitchen (a Thia place in the Toledo Ohio area) I asked if they had the Nut. info on the meals and thet said no.

How do I add something to the day when I don't know what it is?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If you had items that can be found at similar restaurants like it, use those. Check out a few different ones and see if you can find an average calorie amount....it may not be very accurate, but it's a start and you'll have some idea of how much you ate.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Look for similar items in the food database. This is one of the hardest things to do because you have to measure portions and assume ingredients are similar. I usually err on the larger side and overestimate the portion and calories when I go out and don't know the calories. Its better to overguess and eat a little under your calories than to go over. GL!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    What I do is break it down into elements that I do know. Another trick is to find something similar -- so if I have chicken teriyaki at one restaurant, I'll use the info from another restaurant's dish. But I wouldn't use a Lean Cuisine or home-made version of the dish because those are likely to be too different from what a restaurant would do.
  • jagodragon
    jagodragon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    try this web site, it looks like it might have what you need, or at least a rough estimate.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    p.s. I have that same problem with most arabic restaurants. I love the food, and I'm pretty sure its fairly good for you, but I hate trying to log it because I just don't know.

Restaurants without nutrition info is very frustrating :explode:
  • rmccully
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I think every food place what ever it is should have the info to give if asked the question. Don't ya think. :)

I think how bad can a bunch of veggies and some rice be. I probably don't even want to know.
  • rmccully
    Options
    And these palce should give real portions. I swear the amount of food that was on my plate was at least 4 servings. So I was good and only ate about 1/4 of what was there.
  • 949golfgal9
    Options
    I'm new here, so forgive me if I'm posting something everyone already knows. Have you seen this web site:

http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html

It's geared around Weight Watchers and their points systems, but nutritional content is there for restaurant meals, as well.

Robyn
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Remember to check if the restaurant has their own web site with nutritional info. A lot of times the workers there don't even know anything about it, but it may be on their web site.