Opinions on workout DVDs

Options
I workout mainly at home and have been focusing mostly on cardio. I want to add some strength training but I'm not sure how much I can get out of a workout at home. For others that workout at home, what do you do for strength training? I have been losing weight steadily, but I'm still a wuss and want to feel stronger, not just smaller.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Jillian Michaels DVD's. I have completed Ripped in 30, which put me in the best shape I have been in since I was a teen. This DVD is only 30 minutes long (plus 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down = 40 minutes total) which is completely doable. I also really like her No More Trouble Zones which is absolutely all strength training. This one is a total of 50 minutes though, but it definitely does the job. To be honest, I have not come across a DVD of her's that I don't like...so I would give any one of them a try.
  • goblue443
    goblue443 Posts: 50
    Options
    I absolutely love Jillian Michaels DVD's. I have completed Ripped in 30, which put me in the best shape I have been in since I was a teen. This DVD is only 30 minutes long (plus 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down = 40 minutes total) which is completely doable. I also really like her No More Trouble Zones which is absolutely all strength training. This one is a total of 50 minutes though, but it definitely does the job. To be honest, I have not come across a DVD of her's that I don't like...so I would give any one of them a try.

I completely reccommend Jillian as well. I am a fan of her Extreme Shed and Shred DVD. It mixes yoga, martial arts and strength training with some high-intensity cardio intervals. It's quick moving so it's hard to get bored with it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of workout DVDs.

Free/ inexpensive ideas to help you figure out what you like: Library, Nteflix streaming (few) or rental (lots). Hulu.com also streams videos

collagevideo.com is a great resource for finding DVDs to buy. They have video clips & reviews. Information on each video includes; fitness level, equipment required, impact level, choreography level

For strength training I like Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 Minutes to Fitness series. These DVDs have 2 - 30 minute workouts plus premixes to help keep it fresh. Kelly is motivating without being annoying.

30 Minutes to Fitness Body Training requires no equipment

30 Minutes to Fitness Body Weights (tougher) uses various dumbbells
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    head to your local library and see what they have. I often test drive my workout DVDs before I buy them this way:)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Jillian Michaels, for the win! Ripped in 30 kicked my butt (in an awesome way).
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    If yo have netflix, I would try to "10 minute" workouts. each one has five 10 minutes workouts and you can ease into how much you do. there is a kickboxing one I do and i have seen a boot cam one also.

If you want to try some DVD out before you buy any, check out your local library. For a starter I would look at the Slim in Six series. good beginning strength training.

But remember, all my advise is worth what you paid for it. :laugh:
  • fitnessbudget
    Options
    I only have experience with Jillian Michaels '30 Day Shred'. It is fantastic for strength training - primarily using your own body weight. Good idea to up the strength training - great for the core!!

Best Wishes!:flowerforyou: