How long did it take for results?

Options
Hello,
I am a little frustrated today at my scale, and thought I would ask you guys. I started 2 weeks ago with exercising 60 min of cardio 6 times a week, and 1200 calories (i eat my calories from exercise back). I stepped on the scale this morning and I gained 1 pound. How is that even possible?
How long did it take you to see results when you started exercising and calorie deficit?
Please help I am about to ready to give up on this

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? How tall, how old are you? Are you female? If that is you in the picture, you need to be eating way more than 1200 Net calories. You may want to reset your Goals.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    How do you figure out your calories burned? If by HRM, that's OK, otherwise be careful of what the machines tell you - they are not reliable or accurate.... If in doubt. only eat back half of it....
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You need to cut back on the cardio and add some strength training too. You need the muscle in order to burn the fat. Is your size shifting from the change? (sometimes you will add muscle but lose fat and inches which would be a gain in weight) That is one of the reasons to take measurements too. Weight is not always the accurate measure of toning up...
  • danawright14
    Options
    You've probably gained some muscle from exercising that much or you could just be retaining water too your weight fluctuates around a pound or 2 a night try weighting your self like once a week. Keep up the good work though!
  • lutkica01
    lutkica01 Posts: 65
    Options
    How do you figure out your calories burned? If by HRM, that's OK, otherwise be careful of what the machines tell you - they are not reliable or accurate.... If in doubt. only eat back half of it....

I use a chest strap HRM.
  • lutkica01
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? How tall, how old are you? Are you female? If that is you in the picture, you need to be eating way more than 1200 Net calories. You may want to reset your Goals.

I have about 20 pounds to lose, I am 5'5 29 and right now I weigh 180. I am a female.
  • lutkica01
    Options
    You need to cut back on the cardio and add some strength training too. You need the muscle in order to burn the fat. Is your size shifting from the change? (sometimes you will add muscle but lose fat and inches which would be a gain in weight) That is one of the reasons to take measurements too. Weight is not always the accurate measure of toning up...

I notice that I feel much better, and my stomach is a little smaller, I have not taken my measurements yet I will do that later on today. IT's just very discouraging to see that scale number go up when I have been working so hard.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is never linear. There will be weeks you lose, weeks you stay the same, and even weeks you gain. Happens that way for everyone. A higher number on the scale when you've been eating in a calorie deficit and exercising is not fat gain or even muscle gain, it's just fluid retention... normal and temporary.

That said, a lot of people get better results netting more than 1200.
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat you were, as far as doing and not seeing the weight come off. I gave up for a few months because it was frustrating.
    When I came back this time. I was serious about losing. I read a lot of articles on weight loss and I have learned a lot. I think the most important thing I learned was that strength training is just as important as cardio if not more when you are trying to lose.
    I added strength training to my routine and I am now finally losing. My ticker says 3 lbs lost but it is actually 6 lbs since I started again.
    That is in two weeks.
    But to see a real difference I have read and heard it would take at least a good 6 weeks. I usually get pretty discouraged by week 4. So my goal is to make it past week 5, where I usually get fed up. It looks pretty good to me so far though.
    I also take measurements, because when you don't see the scale move, sometimes the measurements are different and you can see a loss there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

I have about 20 pounds to lose, I am 5'5 29 and right now I weigh 180. I am a female.

I just did a quick BMR calculation here on MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator and it says your BMR is 1542. That is what you need for basic body functions if you were in bed all day.

Based on what you told us above, using the MFP Goals calculator, your workouts and "Lose 1/2 pound per week" (which is where you should be) MFP tells me you need to be eating 1830 calories a day. Before Exercise.

Read through the posts on this site. You and hundreds of others are just misinformed. This site does a good job of calculating if you use it as it is intended. You need to eat way more.

• privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    Hang in there 'til you find the combination of factors that work for you.

Seriously. :-)

Take emotion out of it, and look at it clinically.

When I decided to try to lose weight, I went the first 2 months with only weight gain! Silly me, I thought that cutting my "normal" calories and beginning a strenuous exercise schedule would, in and of itself, lead to at least some weight loss, right? I mean, I created a caloric deficit. That's what weight loss is, right? But no....I gained weight. ...Not much, but always above my starting weight.

That went on for 2 months, while I theorized, sought advice, and was told basically that I was lying about how little I was eating or how much I was exercising. (In reality, I'm one of those people who underestimates exercise and overestimates food.) I got a lot of the "you've hit a pateau" comments, ven though I had yet to lose a single pound. I'm pretty sure you can't plateau from day 1 of caloric deficit, at your starting weight.

I started to do my own research, read countless studies, learned about conditions that cause results like mine. Eventually I found my way to information about PCOS-related insulin resistance, and the pieces all came together. I was diagnosed with PCOS decades ago, but was never told it can be associated with insulin resistance. Coupled with my existing research on insulin in general, I opted to treat the IR. From the day I started treating it, I started losing weight at the rate someone with my degree of caloric deficit should.

You likely don't have PCOS or insulin resistance. But my piont is, if I hadn't kept working the problem, I would likely still be at or above my starting weight from 5 monts ago or, more likely, have given up.

Please keep working the problem. It might be as simple as reducing simple carb's (so as not to spike the production of "fat storing" insulin), or adding HIIT elements to your workout, to make them more strenuous.

Good luck! :-)