At home workouts

Options
yes before everyone has a go I KNOW there are no such things as an quick easy workout..

Being a busy mum of two finding time to do full workouts is usually hard anybody got any quick easy tips for spliting exercise up through out the day?

Replies

• missbaker89
    missbaker89 Posts: 245
    Options
    yes before everyone has a go I KNOW there are no such things as an quick easy workout..

Being a busy mum of two finding time to do full workouts is usually hard anybody got any quick easy tips for spliting exercise up through out the day?

love :tongue:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Use your kids! I use mine as weights. I put them on my shoulders for squats, I lift them for curls, I run with them through the house. You can get amazing workouts just playing with the kids.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've started sneaking in a 20 minute workout at work! I keep 5lb weights under my desk and just do a few exercises everytime I can....I also have 2 kids, 3 1/2 and 9 mo, and I've started working out at work right at the end of my day 3 days a week. I just change and run-with the weather getting better it is do-able. On the weekends I've been getting to the gym at like 7 am-my husband hangs with the kids and I take an hour all to myself. I've been doing fast and high intensity workouts trying to get as much as I can out of the least amount of time. I find that my 3 year old loves to do jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, planks, and run around WITH me! The little one seems to get a kick out of watching us bounce around together. We count up to twenty or thirty together...it has actually been fun. Pretty basic stuff, but at least it is something. I've dropped 18 lbs since Jan 20th. I do log everything I eat and try to stick to the 1200 calories. I'm 5'4 and in my midthirties.

Good luck, I'd say try to get an hour to walk/run when you have someone to watch the kids, and sneak the other stuff in with the kids-we find it to be a great effort to do the exercises but they seem to love it! Plus, maybe it will be good for them in the future!
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    also, you can "On demand" workouts.....i've been doing that too!
  • StarIsMoving
    Options

Depends on what you have at home :) If you have an IPod/Iphone, there is an app called Body Fitness that is free and has a number of workouts you can do - you choose the time and area.... or... if it's a DVD workout, pause it... you can squeeze in 10 mins here and there it will add up. No matter what kind of time you have, you can split things up and fit it in where your Mommy-duties allow :)
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do 30 Day shred on the days I dont have time to get to the gym, its only 20 minutes and very effective.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was told that working out 3 times a day - 10 mins each is just as effective as a 30 min workout. I am trying that out - take 10 mins to go to the gym at work and ride the bike, then maybe in the afternoon another break - I equate to the breaks that smokers take - I don't normally take those breaks. Then at home I can do another 10 -15 mins and I haven't taken time from anybody but have given me the benefit of a workout...
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I went and bought a treadmil. I saved up and it was my Xmas present to myself.
    My 3 year old is good and just watches me run or I put on one of her shows to watch. I get my run in when my 5 month old is napping. I also do 15-20 mins of squats, crunches, push ups, lunges, jumping jacks, I just do a min of each exercise and repeat, if I have more time during another nap I'll follow my yoga DVD.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Being a single mom of two for most of their lifes I had to find ways to exercise with my kids. When they were little I used a jogging stroller to take them to the park, This trailer had the attament for a bike also so I would take them on bike rides. While we were at the park, I would find a bench and a pole near the park to do the workout while they played. I took resistance bands with me every were I go. While I am cooking I would do calf raises, plie squats, counter push-ups. We had a dog that we took for walks together. We also enjoyed goechaching which is a tresure hunt. we even did weight training together. I would use the 12 pound dumbells and my son would have his little 2 pounders and do the exersices.

As the kids got older, I found more time to myself by having them help me around the house, they needed to make one dinner a week so I had time to myself for my workouts.

just be creative and find ways of doing it together so they understand the importance of an active lifestyle.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Jillian michaels dvds are short and workout the top and the bottom! 30 day shred is like 28 min total. Does strength, cardio and abs. Then the kickbox fast fix, is 20 mins! Then there is 6 week six pack thats about 35 mins total! Focusing on abs! I just moved up in time, and got no more truble zones which is about 50 mins total...concetrating on strength training and abs! And banish fat boost metabolism, which is cardio! Also about 50 mins! Love her cause she combines lower body with upper body and cardio! For maximum burn!
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump:tongue:
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    play with your kids. exercise video games, dancing

run up and down the stairs. push ups, squats, lunges, jumping jacks,
  • missbabygirlx
    Options
    Thanks to EVERYONE some fab tips will defo be working on most of them!

I have Zumba and wii fit but while im doing them no doubt one of the kids want something so then i dont feel the full effect of doing them because i end up pausing half way through,
    although my son has just started morning nursery 9-12 so i try to do one of them in that time while my daughter has a quick nap but with her being 9 months she doesn't nap much anymore and find myself falling over her walker while dancing around the room haha!! :laugh:
  • newve
    newve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds at Home. Her DVD has
    5 miles on it that are 14 mins and the last one is 12 min. I also do
    on demand workouts through my local cable network. I have a six yr old and a 6 month
    old so I know how it can get. I also work full-time. I find my self at work wishing
    I could go home to workout.