low carb - makes you moody?

Options
ellesoul
ellesoul Posts: 125 Member
Today, well yesterday, I started monitoring my carb intake and let me tell you I am soooo moody... I've just been in a funk nearly all day and DYING to eat a cracker, chip, REAL bread, rice, or something...

has this happened to others? If so, does it go away soon?

:-/

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Consuming carbs does boost serotonin (happiness hormone) production, so it would make sense. Maybe it'll go away once your brain gets used to not having that extra serotonin.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to keep my carbs down for a couple of weeks now (I'm insulin resistant) and have to say I have been in a pretty cr*ppy mood at times.

I know some people have no problems, so perhaps it's nothing to do with the carbs but if it continues I'm off to eat some pasta.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It does not happen to me at all, but everybody is different. TONS of people complain of moodiness, headaches, and just plain exhaustion when they go low carb.

When I go low carb, I actually have the opposite effect where I have more energy, less moodiness, and less headaches.

From what I've heard, people generally go through this for about 3-5 days and then it subsides. Some people just give up.

But here's my question, why do something you don't enjoy? Getting healthy, in my opinion, should not be about being completely miserable. It needs to be something that is sustainable. If you go low carb for a while and then decide to go back to a lot of carbs, you're going to gain that weight back fast unless you reintroduce them slowly...

Play around with your diet, put some of those things you love back in your diet.. but do something that makes you happy!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I think some people are more carb sensitive than others. Low carb eating makes me cranky and generally unpleasant to be around. Probably because protein alone does not make me feel full. Everything in moderation is my motto.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out www.marksdailyapple.com - it's a blog and information site about going Paleo. Since i made the change i am very chipper and awake and about to burst out of my skin with energy. Maybe try it for the recommended 21 day cleanse and see what you think?
  • ellesoul
    Options
    i posted in the forum recently and it was suggested that I cut carbs down and calories because I wasn't really seeing any results and it's been a month...

so I decided to give it a go... I guess I shouldve done a gradual transition and worked my way to a lower carb situation, but I sort of just decided to do it yesterday and went for it.

:-S
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I ate low carb/high protein I got tons of headaches. My stomach hurt all the time - like it was full of rocks. And, I was in a horrible mood and had a devil of a time with insomnia.

As soon as I went back to 55% carbs, everything felt perfect again. :-)
  • theycallmepipes
    Options
    I eat lowER carb...but I still have carbs. The key is moderation. Make sure that the carbs that you have will satisfy you. In other words, don't eat crackers that have 47 grams of carbs in them for a serving of 5 little crackers. 5 crackers won't do anything for your hunger and you'll keep eating. And don't make a drastic change in diet. I've done that before and I've been very moody because I just all of a sudden started depriving myself of everything I wanted. And then after a few days I would say "I'm done. Give me a pint of ice cream and anything fried and nobody gets hurt." And also, I do Zumba...A LOT! It's the most fun way to burn calories and have a blast! It really puts a smile on your face. At least it does for me haha. These are just my experiences with counting carbs. It isn't for everybody, so if you don't think it's working for you, try something else. I also did weight watchers for a while too and lost some weight doing that but that was a few years ago in college and I pretty much ran on the frozen lean cuisine dinners because I had zero time to actually prepare things and those pack SOOOOOOO much sodium. My sister has lost over 100 pounds doing it and swears by it! (Of course my sister actually makes her meals and doesn't live off of frozen meals like I did...) So pick what works for you. If you don't like the low-carb diet because it's making you unhappy, I would try a different approach. :smile:
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Today, well yesterday, I started monitoring my carb intake and let me tell you I am soooo moody... I've just been in a funk nearly all day and DYING to eat a cracker, chip, REAL bread, rice, or something...

has this happened to others? If so, does it go away soon?

:-/

I tried Adkins for a few weeks and I had the same exact moodiness you described. I finally decided to go another direction with my diet by still taking carbs into consideration, but not cutting them out competely. It's helped me and my attitude has improved. Good luck!
  • noeys
    noeys Posts: 56
    Options
    I get depressed with low carb. I feel like my life is ending and want to cry all day lol! Low carb is the devil. ;)
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal.
  • kymberly316
    Options
    The first few days of low carb can cause "withdrawl" type symptoms. I had it about 4 days before it went away. I actually feel tons better now that I am eating less carbs. I'm like a new woman.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a year and It has been fine for me -- my moods are more consistent and mellow. Everybody is different, so experiment.
  • ellesoul
    Options
    i still have carbs (you can see from my food diary from today and yesterday)... just not like before

I think I'm gonna just have to up it a bit more... I can't keep stressing about it and feeling like crap
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I get severely moody. I get moody if I eat too low of calories as well. Everyone is different though!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs so it's very difficult for me to cut out/down. It takes about 3 days for me to get over the cravings. I guess it's kinda of like that with a lot of things we are "addicted" to, whether cigarettes, carbs, etc.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've always been moody to be honest..but since I almost completely cut off bread, pizza and pasta i have mood swings :/
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had no energy on a low-carb diet. I tried to keep up my running and felt so terrible during and after my run. And I had a dull headache all day, every day.

Not for me. I'd rather eat cereal or oatmeal before a run and feel fantastic during and after, rather than feel near death the entire time and practically pass out at the end.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes. I hate the world and my boyfriend noticed when I was low-carbing because I would be really irritating to be around...being obsessive about carbs and complaining that I couldn't eat them.
  • Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am low carbing right now..and i feel like this..all moody..tell me it gets better!!