• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I like it anytime:wink:

images.jpg
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I only eat a small snack first thing in the morning if I'm riding my bike to work or i'm hitting the gym before work. Then I eat a meal at about 9 in the office. Everyone is different, you may not need to eat in the morning, just go with what your body is telling you.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    With going to the gym regularly mid-morning to early afternoon, I have to eat breakfast or I get sick to my stomach. I used to never eat it and wondered why I gorged at lunch/dinner. Like others have pointed out though, I don't think it necessarily helps metabolism. It just helps me balance my day food wise.
  • Cheetahgirl88
    Cheetahgirl88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Actually, "The whole metabolism thing is myth" is WRONG!!!!!!!! Metabolism is definately not a myth. I have taken biochemistry and know how everything is metabolized in your diet. It is imperitive for your health that you eat on a regualr basis, whether you are hungry or not. If anything eat a piece of toast or something small in the morning because when you sleep you are not taking anything in,but you are still creating heat and burning calories. if it doesn't get any intake when it is awake the body will start breaking down your muscles before fat because muscle is easier to break down and provides more energy. This reaso you are probably not hungry in the morning is that you have tricked your brain to think that way, but your body still works the same no matter what your brain says. (Trust me, I have the same problem in the mornings!!). I will usually make one or two pieces of toast and sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on it for flavor.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    I like it anytime:wink:

images.jpg

grrrrrr im @ work & cant see this pic!:grumble:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Actually, "The whole metabolism thing is myth" is WRONG!!!!!!!! Metabolism is definately not a myth. I have taken biochemistry and know how everything is metabolized in your diet. It is imperitive for your health that you eat on a regualr basis, whether you are hungry or not. If anything eat a piece of toast or something small in the morning because when you sleep you are not taking anything in,but you are still creating heat and burning calories. if it doesn't get any intake when it is awake the body will start breaking down your muscles before fat because muscle is easier to break down and provides more energy. This reaso you are probably not hungry in the morning is that you have tricked your brain to think that way, but your body still works the same no matter what your brain says. (Trust me, I have the same problem in the mornings!!). I will usually make one or two pieces of toast and sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on it for flavor.

Short term fasting (<48 hours) increases metabolic rate:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry then I eat before I work out in the morning. If I'm not hungry then I wait until after my workout to eat.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I like it every morning and can't last long before having some ;)

I woke up this morning at 7am, and my belly was growing so loudly my hubby said it woke him up.

I eat breakfast every day, and sometimes have more cals at breakfast than at lunch

My favourites are

Scrambled eggs and bacon
    Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on a toasted muffin
    Mackerel or sardines on toast
    Cheese on toast topped with baked beans

I try to make sure my breakfast has protein, but sometimes will swap for cereal - porridge, or Superfruity Shredded Wheat.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Well I get up at 5am to take my hubby to work, but then my son and I come back home and nap until 9ish, he get his milk first, then around 10am we have breakfast. I love breakfast but I don't always eat it in the morning!
  • ummnadir
    ummnadir Posts: 48
    Options
    I try to workout in the morning so I eat breakfast everyday
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think you bring up a very good point. I have wondered that myself. I actually wonder how the cave men/women did it. I mean, do we seriously think they got up and "ate" right away - within the hour? I doubt it.

I sometimes wonder if eating first thing in the morning doesn't promote "more eating" the rest of the day. :grumble:

I guess I need to do some online research about the topic.

Cheers,

:drinker:

~Tamie
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, I listen to my body pretty well now and I wake up hungry so I eat. Usually within 30 minutes give or take, sometimes about 45. I used to skip breakfast all the time thinking I wasn't hungry, go all the way until lunch then I'd be starving, then I'd eat a lot. Other times I didn't even eat breakfast or lunch but had huge dinners, usually fast foods. LOTS of it!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    it was funnier when i saw this last week! WHEN I DID IT!!
  • rrcaudill
    rrcaudill Posts: 87
    Options
    I have found that my body is backward from most people. If I eat in the mornings, I am hungrier all day than if I don't eat. I had always heard to eat before you get hungry because hunger is the first sign of starvation. Well, we all see where that thinking got me...181 lbs at only 5'3". Now I only eat when I'm hungry and have lost a little over 7 pounds. It's working for me.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Does a cup of low sodium Hot & Spicy V8 count?
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    it was funnier when i saw this last week! WHEN I DID IT!!

Hmph! ;-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Short term fasting (<48 hours) increases metabolic rate:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

This! It's always better when someone can present research and facts rather than opinion. In my opinion it's always better also, to realize that as much as we are all similar, we can be different. There are people who eat less later in the day if they don't eat breakfast and there are people who will eat more. To say," this is what works for me so it must work for you" is just fallacious. I'm too lazy to look it up right now but there is info that is research based on either Lyle McDonald's or Alan Aragon's site that says the conclusions reached regarding timing of nutrition is that timing of the nutrition is insignificant. Total nutrition and composition is critical. If I'm feeling more ambitious later I'll look it up and post the link.

To those that tend to eat more later in the day I'd ask if your breakfast is mostly protein based or carb based or mixed. A carb based breakfast may increase insulin in some and make them more hungry later. Protein with some complex carbs less so.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have found that my body is backward from most people. If I eat in the mornings, I am hungrier all day than if I don't eat. I had always heard to eat before you get hungry because hunger is the first sign of starvation. Well, we all see where that thinking got me...181 lbs at only 5'3". Now I only eat when I'm hungry and have lost a little over 7 pounds. It's working for me.

Hard earned wisdom!:wink:
  • MzLisa25
    MzLisa25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do both. During the week I get up at 4:30 and am out of the house at 5:30 so all I have is a cup of coffee. I just cannot stomach more than coffee at that hour! At 8 am another cup of coffee and if hungry a low cal yogurt or slimfast bar or fruit. I drive a school bus and have to grab quick meals on short breaks. I find eating less calories every 2 hours or so all day then a bigger dinner works for me.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I like it all the time :)