Beginning Runner - Overcoming Aches and Pains?

Options
How do you overcome the pain of shin splints and progress with 5k training?

Replies

• nora110
    nora110 Posts: 24
    Options
    Don't ignore shin splints. They will go from bothersome to BRUTAL in short order. Be sure you are stretching before and after, ice those painful shins, and do not increase mileage more than 10% a week.
  • buffbecca
    buffbecca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is something I'm struggling with right now also- would love to hear others thoughts!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    its taken me several months but im alot less stiff now and it actually feels good to stretch. I try for 8 miles a day with half of those at a slow jog.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Get some good shoes. Go to one of those places where they measure your stride and all that and have yourself fitted for good running shoes. Not cheap, but worth it.

I just started running too and it's on my list of things I need to do. I was getting awful shin splints (incredibly flat feet). I'm doing better now as my legs start to get used to it, but still good shoes are a must.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    good shoes and stretch before AND stretch after.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints all the time, even though I run throughout the year for my Aussie Rules team. My trick is to make sure I have plenty of arch support for my very high arches, to really, really, really stretch my calves, ankles and hamstrings (before and after a run) and using KT Tape to tape my arches and my shins before I go to play. It helps a lot!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Running shoes. Make sure they're right for you.

Trail running is easier on you than asphalt and concrete.

Treadmills can be bad for shin splints if you're not varying the height and speed.

If you have pain after a slow warmup, you're done for the day. Rest.

Take it easy.

Don't increase your pace or distance drastically. And don't do both at once.

Take it easy. (worth repeating...)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    do all the proper stretches and all that stuff. spend 10 mins warming up, and 10 mins cooling down and stretching.
    if you're doing c25k, don't overdo it and stick with the times. if the pain is ongoing, stop.

the other thing that may help is doing stuff on a cross trainer or treadmill if you have access- less impact so may be easier on your legs, just to begin with.

get some proper shoes- get fitted. your feet may be rolling putting extra pressure on your legs, and thus making shin splints worse. and you can always get properly fitted, then buy them cheaper on the internet.

i had shin splints to begin with. they don't last forever, but they do hurt!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    #1 Get good shoes - go to a running store and get fitted. an 85$ pair of shoes saved my feet.
    #2 don't run too fast. in general, the C25K program advises against this because you need to find a comfortable pace and build endurance, but in addition if you are a person prone to shin splints, trying to run fast may mean you take too long of a stride. hence,
    #3 take shorter strides, even if this means you go slower.

hope this helps - i went from painful-can't-walk-without-pain shinsplits to running regularly without any shin pain, so it can be done but you have to be patient and be nice to your body!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have an ongoing problem with shin splints. Shin splints are actually inflammation of your tendons. I agree with the post that said "Do Not Ignore Shin Splints". I pushed through the pain for a while but the inflammation got worse and worse. I had to see a doctor and get a few weeks worth of physical therapy. I had to stop working out for a little while and it made me so sad. I got better and went back to exercising but did too much. So now I'm back on the couch resting my legs again. Use plenty of Advil or Motrin, aka Ibuprofen and make sure you ice your legs. If you can find someone to massage under your tibia where the tendons connect to the muscle that would be good too. Ohh one more thing.. my physical therapist told me to buy Asics Stability Shoes. She stressed that stability shoes are most important. Please take care... Shin Splints are are no joke. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Ice for as long as it hurts! 15-20 minutes a few times a day. Make sure you have some good shoes, too, that makes a world of difference. Give yourself some rest, too. Ice and time off is the best thing for shin splints.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Stretch A LOT, find a resource with some good running stretches- Runners World usually has some good routines. Take your time stretching. Stretch on the floor/ground, standing, against a fence or wall. Warm up, Cool down. Do all of those stretches again after your workout - this is the one that's easy to skip sometimes, but don't do it. Another thing- make sure you have good shoes that are right for your foot type. Other things that help: I have to tape my shins - from just above the ankle to just under the knees until the pain goes away. Ice those shins after you run. My coach use to take me off the road/track and put me in the pool for a rest on some days because my shins have always given me trouble. That helped too! I hope yours feel better soon :) Mine are worse when I get started back into serious running and I have to baby them for awhile, but they do get worked out eventually.
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! I did go to a place called "The Running Room" and they fitted me and it turns out I have pronating ankles. I ended up getting a pair of "Brooks" shoes, which I had never heard of that brand until this store and apparently they're a great brand for running? So I do agree on the good shoes - I think I'm just scared to even try and run again because I don't want to be disappointed if I get the splints again even though I got shoes that were fitted to me. I'm sure that sounds silly and most people will probably think, "You won't know unless you run and find out..." but honestly, I don't stretch before or after (I know - yikes), I've never iced, I always run on the treadmill, and I think I was pushing myself too hard before because I thought I could fight through the pain. So I'm really glad I posted this question because I can take all this advice and literally hit the ground running. Any of you guys start out pretty over weight running and made a go of it? (like 100 lbs over weight...)
  • LeanLorraine
    Options
    This used to be a big problem for me as well. First, make sure your stride is normal - not too long or too short. Next, make sure your running shoes are supportive. Lastly, one of my runner friends taught me a strengthening move. Sit with your leg stretched out & foot flat to a wall. Flex your toes toward your shin 15 times and repeat. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • fletchbo
    fletchbo Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes - not quite that much - gained 75lb in school and now trying to get back to normal size. At first I was just walking , now starting to run a bit.. I was having issues with shin splints just by walking up hills or anything around 2 miles or more. You will have plenty of aches and pains when you first start but it will get better pretty quick. The trick is not do it every day and let your body recover a day or two in between- least that is what is working for me. After reading some of the comments I think some of my issues are not just weight but shoes- I have been wearing cheap ($20) walmart shoes. Will see if I can find something better. Good luck !
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've always been prone to getting shin splits until just recently. The only thing that I changed was my shoes. I am in love with Nike Air Max. Now I just need to work through this thigh muscle soreness and increase my stamina. Glad you got some new shoes hope you get back out there and give them a try as soon as your shin splits heal. :smile:
  • LeanLorraine
    Options
    I had that issue when I first started running. First, make sure you have supportive shoes. You may want to check stop by a real running store that specializes on runners and manned by runners. From experience, they tend to offer great advice and looks at your gait, stride, etc. Super helpful. Next, be aware if you are over or under striding. The right stride prevents shin splints. Lastly, don't forget the value of RICE! Good luck; don't give up!