Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

gained weight after eating 1600 calories a day

Hi everyone! recently I have achieved my goal weight by following 1200 calorie diet...i decided to stop and switched to "maintain my weight" option which suggested to follow 1600 calorie diet...so now i've been on it for 2 months and i'm up for 5 pounds! i don't know how that happened! should i reduce it to 1400 to stop gaining my weight back? anyone else had it?

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Ya i would reduce it! Dont wanna gain!
  • Kait1215
    Kait1215 Posts: 61 Member
    i would reduce it to 1400 and see what happens, you might have to play with the numbers a bit to find your specific maintenance calorie goal
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    you probably need to give it a little more time. 1600 is not really that many calories.

how active are you? if you're not very active your TDEE may be lower. look on here on tools and what does it say your BMR is? you should eat more than that for sure... but your TDEE (if you look it up on google) will be a lot higher than your BMR. you need to eat between BMR and TDEE. if you're still gaining weight, you probably need to check some other things like thyroid, etc.
  • Think about it. If you went from 1200 to 1600...and stopped exercising or really reduced your activity then it's no wonder you gained some weight back. Try a 1400 calorie diet for starters and see how that works for you.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    I mean it could also be a slow water weight gain? It's really hard to tell with just 5 lbs.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I mean it could also be a slow water weight gain? It's really hard to tell with just 5 lbs.

agreed. 5 lb could be time of the month water gain, could be muscle water gain, coudl be anything... sodium, you name it
  • absolutely the last two posts are dead on... esp if your extra 200 calories are in carbs or sugars etc.
  • I hope it's water :D i'm a student who studies all the time..i go to gym twich a week and don't eat junk food...and basically i increased my calories by eating more fruits and healthy fats
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    You might have gone up a bit too suddenly, or it could be water weight. I don't think it'd hurt to go for 1500 and see what happens in another month. I'd make adjustments slowly at this point though.