Gaining weight with heavy lifting (female)

Options
13»

Replies

• Katemarie34
    Katemarie34 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mangohead100
    Options
    I'm new to this forum.
    What the heck does 'bump' mean?
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm new to this forum.
    What the heck does 'bump' mean?

The most recent posts show up at the top of the forum, so "bumping" is a way to get people back into the conversation.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    just curious ladies......what is your definition of "heavy" weights? I've been doing weights for some time now, but since closer to my gw, being more focused on toning and building more muscle.... thnx for your input! Gayle ** btw I'm 5'4, 130 lbs....

Lifting "heavy" is different for everyone. There is no set weight where suddenly it's considered heavy. What it means is that you're lifting at a weight where by around the 6th-10th rep or so you are really struggling. If you are not hitting muscle fatigue by around this point, you are not lifting heavy. Obviously, the amount of weight it takes to hit that point is different for everybody, and will increase the more you lift and the stronger you get. But, if you can breeze through 20 reps of something than it is not heavy! lol

But if you're struggling so much that you lose form, then it is too heavy. In my opinion, the best is when you feel an unpleasant burn that you can push through, but not when you get really shaky or wobbly. Pushing to failure is a bad idea. Start doing that with compound lifts and it's an injury waiting to happen.

True. Safety first. Good form is KEY
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Your muscles retain water when you lift.
    My weight loss (appeared to have) stalled big time when I first started lifting heavy because of that.

switching up the cardio later on is what I did and it broke my plateau, but I think that mainly has to do with simply switching up the routine.

Keep up the great work!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    This is something I would like to know as well...Great topic b/c I have the same issue with gaining or staying at this weight...
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I wouldn't add cardio AND drop calories, do one or the other.
  • trudemeanor
    trudemeanor Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...For reference...Great thread!! :)
  • ZB17
    ZB17 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!