Atkins? Again?

Options
Maybe I am being impatient but I had fantastic luck with Atkins 5 years ago. It actually became a lifestyle change. Since being pregnant and gaining 60+ lbs I was certain just eating healthy and exercising would do it but here it is over a month into it and I have only lost a pound. I am worried that my metabolism is :the exception" and has been slowed by years of crash dieting/no carbs. I am feeling desperate and wanting to start crash dieting again even though everything I have read on here has said thats a big no no. Any one on here feel that limiting carbs is healthy? If it sounds like I am asking for permission to do Atkins i guess I am!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. What works for some, may or may not work for someone else. I personally gained weight while on Atkins. My body struggled with all the protein and even drinking a gallon or more water a day? I was completely miserable.

If it worked for you in the past and you think you can sustain it long term, then go for it. The reason people are against "diets" is because as a rule they are not sustainable for the rest of your life. If you think you can do it for the rest of your life, go for it. After doing the "eat anything in moderation" lifestyle change, there's no way I could do a fad diet again.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I doubt your metabolism has slowed down much. Chances are you just eat more than you used to naturally. Losing a pound in a month is fine, as well.

Doing Atkins is fine (it's only semi-fad), but why not just track calories and aim for high protein low carb?
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Do it! If that's what works for you. I can only lose weight by cutting cards, don't care what anyone says, I've had this body for over 40years and I know how it deals with food. Do what works for you and what you can stick to for the long haul.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with low-carb. I also don't call it a "crash diet" if it's something you can sustain for the long-term but it doesn't sound like it was very sustainable for you. I've kinda gotten to where if I can't do it forever, I'm not going to do it at all, which isn't to say you can't cut quickly for an event or something if necessary, but just work on what you can do. Slow and steady is better, and I read an interesting reason why-when we crash diet we lose muscle as well as fat and that makes the lower weight much harder to sustain, making it likely we gain again, and when we gain, it is fat, so it's a cycle when you yo-yo. Does that make sense? I feel like I am not explaining it very well!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Doing Atkins is pretty drastic and unless you are really committed then it's probably not what you are really looking for, just try lowering your carb and sugar intake and see how that works, most of the time if you just cut out the really processed and sugary stuff then you will see things start to happen.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Limiting carbs and/or being selective with the carbs you eat isn't a problem if it's a lifestyle instead of a crash/fad diet.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Try it. Might be great! And if it isn't, just stop :happy:
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If Atkins is too restrictive take a look at Rob Wolf - Paleo Solution, might be what your looking for. Focuses on natural foods as close as possible to their natural state and limited carbs. What puts people off is the lack of grains and legumes (havent missed them really....) and its more of a attainable life style goal (PERSONALLY SPEAKING...please dont flame me) for me than Atkins was. Just a thought =)
  • seoid
    seoid Posts: 151
    Options
    I did atkins for a week and lost 10 pounds. but i can't live without carbs....i become this angry psycho *kitten*.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I personally can't eat a stick of butter,
    and not have a slice of bread. I just
    watch what I eat now, and track it all
    with MFP. That and exercise a couple
    of times a week works for me.

Actually the number one thing I look at
    is sodium. Everything else just seems
    to fall into place.
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    My fiance and I started MFP together at the beginning of the year and neither of us lost weight in the first month. The numbers given to you by MFP are pretty generic and you need to find you magic numbers for caloric intake and calories burned through exercise. Once you find those, the pounds will start coming off.
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Over six months and I didn't loose anything significant until the last six weeks where I have now lost a total of 15 pounds! Finally, it is starting to work. Don't give up by eating only one type or kind of food. Your body really needs the nutrition from all sorts of foods, just not as much as we seem to think it needs in some circumstances. Good luck! BTW: I am a professional dieter, but not a nutritionist, so take my advice as you wish!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Why not ease towards Atkins by going on a restricted carb diet that doesn't actually indice ketosis... maybe something like The Zone (40c / 30f / 30p)? It might be more sustainable and you should see good results so long as you maintain a calorie deficit.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I can't do Atkins
    Carbs are good for brain tissue
    Moderation wins
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins in 2003 and I lost a lot of weight. Looking back, I lost more than I needed to. I'd be tempted to do it again, but I will never forget what else I lost along with the weight: My hair was coming out in the shower by the handful, my nails became thin and brittle, and I blacked out multiple times... Granted, I abused it. I would become so afraid to go over on my carbs that I would go too far under on them. For 3 months. Maybe if I had followed it as recommended, I'd have been fine. Again, it was my own fault that I had those results. Good luck to you in whatever you choose. Tracking my calories is working great for me. Best wishes.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you!
    The girl that sits next to me, loss weight by watching calories and fats
    And for me it is calories and carbs.
    So it depends if limiting carbs helped you in the past, then try it again, but as somebody above stated, maybe try the zone where you have less carbs but not as drastic as Atkins. But I am doing Atkins trying to "jumpstart" my wightlost
  • JakinsandPeykins
    Options
    Thank you all. I feel like I am trying my best but going nowhere. It helps to know that others got results after stick-to-it-tiveness. I could definitely try to be pro protein, or even semi South Beach. Just having one of those days where I don't even know what the hell I am doing anymore if i can't lose more than a pound in a month while working out every day. I'd like to learn more about the sodium thing, because I have never even thought of it before.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    OP: Remember that the goal of Atkins is to find the right number of carbs for your body to lose weight with and then the right number to maintain at...and I think that's a perfectly reasonable lifestyle change. Try easing into it and just slowly cutting out some of your more starchy carbs at first before deciding to go all the way. :flowerforyou:
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs the first week I did Atkins. I stopped bc I had trouble eating as much food as it told me too. Also have lots of friends that did the diet and gained all the weight back as soon as they quit.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs the first week I did Atkins. I stopped bc I had trouble eating as much food as it told me too. Also have lots of friends that did the diet and gained all the weight back as soon as they quit.

That's because you don't "quit", nor is Atkins a "diet". It is most definitely a lifestyle change, just like people who change what they eat and watch their calories. Same concept.