Weight Training - few days in a row?

Options
I recently joined a gym with a few determined co-workers and we absolutely LOVE it! This gym offers a variety of classes, one being a strength training class. After speaking with an instructor, she recommended we do the strength training class (which includes the use of free weights) twice a week, and cardio 3 times a week at the minimum. The problem is, the only strength training classes I can make are Thursday and Friday. I have gotten some mixed advice, while majority say it is VERY important to have a rest day between strength training, others say it's not that big of a deal.

What are your thoughts? Because the only two days I can make the strength training classes are back to back, would it be harmful or less effective if I did both days in a row? How important is a rest day?

Any thoughts would help, thank you! :smile:

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Are both classes exactly the same? If yo could only work out -- lets say for example your upper body -- on Thursday, then your lower body on Friday... that would be ideal.
  • AleenaRose83
    AleenaRose83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's the same class, and I have a feeling its like a total body workout with the free weights. I know ideally it's best to work out upper and lower every other day
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    IMO if you're not lifting really heavy weights and you're not too sore the next day to do the class, then it's fine and I wouldn't worry about it. If you decide to start lifting heavy though, I would definitely take at least one day off between.

Edit: I only say this because you'll have 5 days to recover. I personally wouldn't go more than 2 days in a row doing full body though
  • AleenaRose83
    AleenaRose83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't think about how heavy the weights would be...so I guess I'll try it out on Thursday and see how it goes before I commit to going on Friday as well. The rest of the days are committed to cardio (zumba, cycling, kickboxing,elliptical). I just think I would really benefit from a strength training class than doing it myself (and getting bored) or an expensive personal trainer.

Thanks for the input! =)
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    you definitely need to leave a day in between strength training workouts if you are working the same muscles. The muscles need time to repair themselves. If the workouts were varied, say upper body one day and lower the next you'd be fine but tearing up the same muscles 2 days in a row would be counterproductive and could be damaging.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: consider taking the class one day and two days later go back to the gym and do the same workout on your own and the again two days later.......and aim for heavier weights....start small until you learn how to do the lifts, etc, and then increase the weights and do fewer reps (8-12)...everything I've read says that the rest day in between is where your muscles get the benefit. :bigsmile:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Strength training is about building muscle. If you want to do it right, you need to give the muscles worked about 48 hours to properly recover or whatever you're doing is going to be counterproductive. Don't train the same muscle group 2 days in a row. It's more detrimental than helpful.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, so don't take this as expert advice. Rest days are important but if you are only lifting 2 days in a row and a not lifting at all the rest of the week I would say it's not a big problem. It would really be a problem if you were lifting 3 or 4 or 5 days in a row without giving your muscles time to repair. Also, even if you are sore after the first day, stick with it the second day. You may not be able to lift as much on day 2 but you need to try and fight through the soreness. After a few weeks of lifting you should quit feeling sore after your work outs, at least that has been my experience
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If it is circuit training you could do one day light, the next heavy and since you will have 5 days to recover you should be fine.