Washing your workout clothes.... do you....

Options
13»

Replies

• Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I treat them the same way I treat my slacks and blouses. I wash them on gentle and then hang them to dry.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why no dryer sheet? And does vinegar help with static?

I live in a dry climate and if I don't use dryer sheets, I can't get the clothes apart.

I have read on some tags that say not to use dryer sheets on dry-tec type fabrics as it interferes with the wicking properties.

I wash everything except towels and sheets in cold water (they go in hot). If I have enough I do an all workout clothes load. . No special soap. I avoid washing my Clothes with my work clothes because my work pants have pockets with Velcro and it pills the fabric.
    I hang all my workout clothes to dry. Apparently the heat from the dryer can break down the spandex or whatever.

I am a direction follower. Lol. Read and follow the labels strictly.
    I have a lot of Lululemon so I am really careful with it but it works because it lasts forever. .
  • ChristinaK69
    Options
    I was them all together. When the weather is warmer I hang them out to dry. Good detergent makes a big difference though. Tide is my favorite. When I get cheap and buy cheap, I always regret it.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I wash my workout stuff with my regular clothes.
    However, you aren't supposed to put your technical or lycra in the dryer.
  • angelaclassact
    angelaclassact Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I put all my workout clothes in the blue basket in my bedroom closet, and two days later, they reappear in my dresser drawer.

AWESOME!

I wash mine with other tees and light-weight clothing. Regular detergent, NO fabric softner. That stuff ruins wicking material (makes it so it doesn't really wick anymore).
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but why no dryer sheet? And does vinegar help with static?

I live in a dry climate and if I don't use dryer sheets, I can't get the clothes apart.

I have read on some tags that say not to use dryer sheets on dry-tec type fabrics as it interferes with the wicking properties.
    This! Every wicking fabric item I've ever owned says no fabric softener because it jacks up the wicking. Don't mess with the wicking! :tongue:

And occasionally separate the colors of my workout stuff, but hate doing two loads, so usually wash them all together. Cold water,delicate cycle, homemade detergent, no fabric softener (see above), quick fluff with no heat in the dryer, and hang 'em all over the house to dry. :bigsmile:
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a snob with laundry in general, and most of my techincal stuff is from Lululemon and their signature is Luon - it pills easily and gets abrasions. I separate all my techs from all of my other clothes and what not. I usually wash with cool water or warm (the hottest) depending on if it's particularly smell. All my techs are hung/air dry. :) I usually use method detergent but I'm curious as to how the Tide w/Febreeze gym detergent is. LOL

I have a lot of Lululemon clothing too, but if I didn't wash it with my regular clothes, it would take too long to make a full load, so I sort lights and darks, but other than that, I wash everything together. I do see wear on my Lululemon stuff, but I still can't be bothered treating it more delicately. I never put my workout clothes in the dryer though, but I hardly ever use my dryer in general. In the summer I hang clothes outside on the clothesline and in the winter I dry them on a rack by the fireplace.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Normally wash them all together on delicate and then always hang them up to dry and never put them in the dryer... They seem to last alot longer....
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My workout clothes are spandex shorts, sports bra, and a tank top.. I throw them into my regular laundry. Since I go to the laundromat and I'm cheap, I have two loads in the washer (darks and everything else) and then they all go into the dryer together. I use downy dryer sheets to keep the smell :)
  • lucky_74
    lucky_74 Posts: 30
    Options
    I wash only workout clothes together on gentle and hang them all to dry. Only my socks go in with the regular clothes.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I do laundry like your average man does...
    I separate darks, brights, towels, and whites.

Beyond that, you're asking for too much.

this
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I put all my workout clothes in the blue basket in my bedroom closet, and two days later, they reappear in my dresser drawer.

That is complete awesomeness. Where do I get one of those magic laundry baskets? I'm willing to put some serious peso's into purchasing that little gadget!

LOL - I am a lucky guy. My wife of 20 years, who is an avid runner, does the laundry for me. I am spoiled for sure!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I hang all my workout pants out of fear that the dryer will make them too short.

I agree, there is nothing worse than wearing pants that flap around the top of your sneakers!

I want that blue basket!!!!!

I wash my clothes separately. Because everyone want softener in their wash. I do mine with liquid detergent and vinegar in the rinse cycle. Hang/air dry only.