Help Recently purchased a polar FT7 HR MONITOR

Options
Help I recently purchased a polar FT7 HR monitor and the 3 workouts that I have used it on the treadmill my calories burned have been cut in half.I usally burn 450 on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 4.0 and a incline around 8 or more, I am a male and 49 years old and weigh 270 lbs since I have been using the HR monitor it says I burned 200 calories. I also did 20 minutes on a bike and was closer but still way off. I am averaging less than 7 calories buned per minute. I knew my numbers would be lower with the HR monitor but not 50% lower. Has anyone else had any similar experiences or is my HR not woring coreectly. I have double checed my info in the watch and everything is ok.

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    you set your age, weight, resting heart rate and gender correctly? if so what is your average heart rate? i would trust the HRM... machines notoriously overestimate. i use the FT7 and love it- make sure you wet the chest strap so it communicates correctly with the watch.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Were you using the treadmills calorie burn? If you were, they are so incredibly far off! I have the same monitor, and it's served me really well. Hang in there and don't get discouraged- your readings will be accurate from here on out.
  • paigemlong
    Options
    I agree with the question about proper setup of the watch. Also, if you don't wet those electrodes, you may not get a reliable reading. If you still don't feel like you are getting the right numbers, try a product called bah bump (a cream- you put it on the electrodes). It helps your body conduct the proper readings. Good luck! You will love your monitor, eventually! :)
  • fran1515
    fran1515 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I have double checked my setting everything is good.I have wet the correct areas, maybe I will try some gel. I do have alot of chest maybe this could be the problem. I went for a very strenous hke today 4.5 miles with alot of climbing and I averaged 6.5 caloreis bunrned per minute it just seems very low. 620 calories for the hike. What do other pepole average per minute on there workouts.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i am a 5'5 150lb 30 year old female... but in 20m of HIIT i burn almost 200, and in a 4 mile walk in just under 60 minutes (no hills its flat) i burn between 280-320. i would trust the hrm.