Blood work on Atkins (December and April)

Options

Replies

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    LeanLioness,

have you done your bloodwork for July yet? Really curious to see where you are at now..

Michelle

Yes, I just got it done again on my birthday, July 24th.

Here is the comparison, notice that I have started adding fruits in and I have went a little overboard and my triglycerides are a little higher than need be. Dr told me to cut back on fruits and replace with veggies, so that is what I am working on for next quarter. Bloodwork drawn again in October.

December 29, 2008 Blood work

Weight: 240.2 lbs
    Total Cholesterol: 220 (100-199 normal ranges)
    HDL: 59 (40-59 normal ranges)
    VLDL: 28 (5-40 normal ranges)
    LDL Cholesterol 149 (0-99 normal range)
    Triglycerides: 62 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 5.8%

April 24, 2009 Blood work

Weight: 221.4 lbs
    Total Cholesterol: 187 (100-199 normal ranges)
    HDL: 51 (40-59 normal ranges)
    VLDL: 21 (5-40 normal ranges)
    LDL Cholesterol 115 (0-99 normal range)
    Triglycerides: 102 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 5.5%
    July 24, 2009 Blood work

Weight: 201.4 lbs
    Total Cholesterol: 172 (100-199 normal ranges)
    HDL: 62 (40-59 normal ranges)
    VLDL: 18 (5-40 normal ranges)
    LDL Cholesterol 92 (0-99 normal range)
    Triglycerides: 117 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 5.8%

I would love to see an example of your food diary. My cholesterol was at 200 at my last appointment and he wants me to lower it by eating low fat and exercise. I have been doing that since late february(not strict) and yet the blood work I did a week ago had me at 200:huh: So why did he tell me to keep doing what I have been doing. Last time that my cholesterol was checked was Jan2008 and it was 197 then . I was eating lousy at that time
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hi Momma2four -

I follow Atkins and eat a ton of veggies and get my fats from ANIMAL fats (chicken skin, fat on my steaks) and mostly from olive oil and coconut oil, I eat a little avocado as I am not the fondest of it either, but it is good for me.. I eat a little butter as I am not the biggest fan of dairy, but I do eat Fage yougrt.

I eat a lot of salads, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli (have an intolerance to it and makes me bloat), tomatoes, celery, spinach, stir fry veggies, green beans, brussel sprouts, spaghetti squash, zucchini, acorn squash.

As far as fruits, I eat berries, cherries, melons, plums, nectarines, peaches, apples and occasionally some fresh pineapple and grapefruit.

I eat raw nuts and seeds. Natural nut butters, now trying to stay away from peanut butter, but that is a hard one - cuz I love peanut butter.

Here is the kicker..................eat natural and exercise. Forgo the breads, pastas, rice, cereal, sugar filled, fat-free yogurts. Opt for full fat varieties and have it checked in 6-8 weeks from when you started eating this way and see how it goes..............
  • jjcunningham85
    Options
    I was on Adkins in the early 2000's back when it was eat strickly meat to get into Ketosis. I weighed 275 and got down to 196 in about 6 months. But I got off the diet and ballooned up to 314 pounds. Your body is just not meant to eat only meat, that's why I am glad to see that the revised Adkins is so much healthier.

I just started the Paleo Diet (aka the caveman diet or stone age diet) Have been on it a couple days and have lost about 3 pounds. Basically what the diet calls for is eating anything a caveman could have gotten his hands on. Rational is that that is how are bodies are genetically apt to survive and thrive. You can not eat any processed foods, you have to stick to veggies, fruitss, roots, lean meats, and nuts. So far I have really enjoyed it, and I know I am eating a ton healthier than I was. My concern is that I love the fruits so much I am neglecting the veggies, I still eat some squash, zuccinni, broccli or cauliflower everyday, but I eat more cantaloupe, apples, grapes, pears, and berries. Regardless of whether I eat enough veggies, am i still on the right path by eating so many fruits because it's within the diet? What is the downside of eating too many frutis in relation to veggies? where do I stand to gain by eating more veggies, weight loss wise and health wise?

Thank you very much for any help or insights that you a have.

Jay
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I was on Adkins in the early 2000's back when it was eat strickly meat to get into Ketosis. I weighed 275 and got down to 196 in about 6 months. But I got off the diet and ballooned up to 314 pounds. Your body is just not meant to eat only meat, that's why I am glad to see that the revised Adkins is so much healthier.

I just started the Paleo Diet (aka the caveman diet or stone age diet) Have been on it a couple days and have lost about 3 pounds. Basically what the diet calls for is eating anything a caveman could have gotten his hands on. Rational is that that is how are bodies are genetically apt to survive and thrive. You can not eat any processed foods, you have to stick to veggies, fruitss, roots, lean meats, and nuts. So far I have really enjoyed it, and I know I am eating a ton healthier than I was. My concern is that I love the fruits so much I am neglecting the veggies, I still eat some squash, zuccinni, broccli or cauliflower everyday, but I eat more cantaloupe, apples, grapes, pears, and berries. Regardless of whether I eat enough veggies, am i still on the right path by eating so many fruits because it's within the diet? What is the downside of eating too many frutis in relation to veggies? where do I stand to gain by eating more veggies, weight loss wise and health wise?

Thank you very much for any help or insights that you a have.

Jay

If you went by the book, it was never meant to be Meat only. I have the 1972 edition and the 2002 edition.

I will not buy the current versions as they are written to include too many processed foods.

Atkins is also not written to go off the plan, neither is the Paleo plan either. So I hope you are doing something that satisfies you to stick with for life.

I don't know if you are diabetic or insulin resistant, but I would not be eating that much fruit in a day's time. Even though it is natural sugar, it is still sugar and the whole thought behind Paleo eating is to control insulin levels. With that much fruit daily, you will not control insulin.

I am switching over from Atkins to The Primal Blue Print plan. I am reading the book and will be switching over when I go grocery shopping.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I am looking over the primal diet and noticed legumes are not allowed. That would mean giving up the green beans unless and exception is made b/c of their high water content.
    Hi Momma2four -

I follow Atkins and eat a ton of veggies and get my fats from ANIMAL fats (chicken skin, fat on my steaks) and mostly from olive oil and coconut oil, I eat a little avocado as I am not the fondest of it either, but it is good for me.. I eat a little butter as I am not the biggest fan of dairy, but I do eat Fage yougrt.

I eat a lot of salads, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli (have an intolerance to it and makes me bloat), tomatoes, celery, spinach, stir fry veggies, green beans, brussel sprouts, spaghetti squash, zucchini, acorn squash.

As far as fruits, I eat berries, cherries, melons, plums, nectarines, peaches, apples and occasionally some fresh pineapple and grapefruit.

I eat raw nuts and seeds. Natural nut butters, now trying to stay away from peanut butter, but that is a hard one - cuz I love peanut butter.

Here is the kicker..................eat natural and exercise. Forgo the breads, pastas, rice, cereal, sugar filled, fat-free yogurts. Opt for full fat varieties and have it checked in 6-8 weeks from when you started eating this way and see how it goes..............
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I can have green beans - they are referring to legumes as in the dried variety. Sugar snap peas and green beans are still allowed as they are in a pod.
    I am looking over the primal diet and noticed legumes are not allowed. That would mean giving up the green beans unless and exception is made b/c of their high water content.
    Hi Momma2four -

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Lioness, have you tried Omega 3's to lower your triglycerides?
  • Timothy2000
    Options
    I am so confused I am diabetic type 1 and I take insulin three times a day two pills at breakfast and dinner and then a shot at night. My doctor told me just to watch portion control and eat a balanced diet of whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean meat, and diary. So far I have been following this, But everybody is saying that pasta, breads, rice is bad for you. I do not understand how if there suppose to be part of a balanced diet.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Lioness, have you tried Omega 3's to lower your triglycerides?

I eat plenty of nuts and fish and I supplement with the Fish oil.

The reason that my triglycerides stay high is because I am still eating too much fruit and some of the veggies I have been eating are higher in carbs.

I really need to eat NO fruit for about 6 or 8 weeks and they will sharply drop. I get my blood work drawn on Monday, so we will see where they are at then.
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How did the blood work go?
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I haven't gotten my blood work done since last fall....................

I had fallen off the wagon BIG TIME with everything that is going on in my life. I lost control for a while - now is the time to gain control of my life again............

I got blood work done this morning and will post my start over stats when I receive the results.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!!!
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bump
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    bump

I will get this posted today.

For me not "low carbing" for some months, I am surprised my numbers weren't worse than they were.

I am on the cuff of "reversing" my diabetes back to pre-diabetes (insulin resistant) and hopefully I will be able to continue on to reverse that too soon.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner.....................

This is my results from falling off the wagon, gaining weight again and just eating the Standard American Diet over the past few months.

Weight: 245 lbs
    Total Cholesterol: 214 (100-199 normal ranges)
    HDL: 38 (40-59 normal ranges)
    VLDL: 35 (5-40 normal ranges)
    LDL Cholesterol 141 (0-99 normal range)
    Triglycerides: 62 (0 - 149 normal range)

A1C was 6.4%
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    bump

For me not "low carbing" for some months, I am surprised my numbers weren't worse than they were.

I am on the cuff of "reversing" my diabetes back to pre-diabetes (insulin resistant) and hopefully I will be able to continue on to reverse that too soon.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    ]I am under the impession that you can control being a diebetic . But that you will always be a diabectic. There is no known cure ,just being able to control it. But I would be happy to do just that. No reversing at this time Just control. Tight control. That is what am working on.----Marie
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    bump

]I am under the impession that you can control being a diebetic . But that you will always be a diabectic. There is no known cure ,just being able to control it. But I would be happy to do just that. No reversing at this time Just control. Tight control. That is what am working on.----Marie

If a person has Type 2 diabetes it is able to be reversed. The A1C level of someone that does not have diabetes is 5.5% or less.

So, my doctor told me if you get your A1C down to 5.5% or less for 2 testings in a row then you are no longer diabetic.

There is a lot of information on the internet about reversing diabetes also.

My naturopath told me the Dr's and pharmaceutical companies will tell you that it is not able to be reversed so you won't change your eating habits because then they will lose money.
  • keyguy13
    keyguy13 Posts: 1
    Options
    That is awesome :) Way to go!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    thanks for the post. My husband is doing atkins and I am constantly defending it to people. The truth is, I had gestational diabetes with both of my pregnancies, and was on a modifiied atkins on doctor's orders. You are doing a great job! Keep it up!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Thanks Keyguy and Dmags.

I don't defend low carbing any longer..................... I always ask what is so unhealthy about a serving of protein and some type of veggies and a salad?????

Doesn't sound unhealthy to me. That usually shuts people up.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I had to educate a lady in the herbal store who said ketosis was a dangerous state. I hate pulling out the master's degree in biology card but I had to do it on this occasion. It really ticks me off when people pass misinformation especially when a low carb/ketogenic diet can be very beneficial to those with metabolic disorders. My aunt died from diabetes related complications and i do not intend that to be my fate.
    Thanks Keyguy and Dmags.

I don't defend low carbing any longer..................... I always ask what is so unhealthy about a serving of protein and some type of veggies and a salad?????

Doesn't sound unhealthy to me. That usually shuts people up.