Is it supposed to be this hard?

Options

Replies

• dayhadley
    dayhadley Posts: 46
    Options
    Before I moved across the country, I was working out 5 or 6 days a week, more than an hour at a time, jogging, elliptical, core exercises, etc. and I was pushing myself, but it wasn't super-hard once I built myself up to that. Fast forward to now - I gained 30 lb's in the 3 years I've been in the southwest. When I started exercising for real a few months back, I couldn't even do the Kinect Adventures Reflex Ridge for a half hour straight w/out feeling like I was going to have a heart attack.

You really have to find what you like. I go bicycling every weekend now (and will after work when it stays lighter later) and this is now my favorite form of exercise. Throw on some tunes and let the wind blow thru your hair. Do it at your own pace... whatever it is. I've lost about 17 lbs (give or take) since December 2010 and I tried so many forms of exercise, from P90 to L.Sansone walking dvd's, the Kinect Adventures and Dancing games... it really helps to change it up so 1.) you don't feel like you're killing yourself, and 2.) to keep it fun and interesting.

The $170 I spent on my bike might have been the best $170 I've ever spent! Good luck to you... you will get there if you keep at it - don't lose hope and if you continue to do any kind of exercise - big or small, long or short - you will eventually build that stamina you're hoping for.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's going to be hard. I'd focus more on time instead of calories burned. I can sometimes burn as much as that in a half an hour depending on how fast I'm running or how much I'm exerting myself. So focus on 30 mins twice a week, and yeah it's going to be hard. You've been doing nothing physical your whole life, give it time.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it. Don't ever give up. Ever. Also it gets easier.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    But it gets easier.
    My husband, who has pretty much always been fit, told me something once that SHOCKED me. It was earth shattering. When i was huffing and puffing and feeling like, after a year, this is still just so HARD for me, he said it's supposed to be. When you're working hard, you're working hard. But what changes is how long it takes you to recover. I think he's right.

You know... you can take a little break, catch your breath, and go back to it. Do your best. And one day, maybe you'll find you can go longer without a break or your breaks are shorter. You can do it. If it was easy, though, we'd all be 110 pounds of lean muscle.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    Yes. When you are that out of shape it takes a while to build up strength and stamina. Me and my sis-in-law started at only 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer. We slowly pushed ourselves 5 minutes more each workout. Now we do 30 on the treadmill, 15 one the stair stepper and 33 on the elliptical. We have also recently added weight training, and again, starting small and building up. It will get easier and you WILL feel a lot better, it's worth it, keep up the good work! ;)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be easy, that's for darn sure.
    You didn't get this way in a day, and you won't change it in a day.
    But one single day can start you on the right path.
    So what... you burned "ONLY 276 cals"? That's a hell of a lot more than zero, wouldn't you say?
    Keep it up. You're gonna get there! :D

She said it. Burn the extra 30-100 buy doing some extra jumping jacks through the day. 1 minute = about 8 calories burned. so break it up and do small sets of them in the day and you're on to a winner not quite as exhausting but if you go at them hard you'll be doing yourself a world of benefit. Do inclined pushups on the workbench/kitchen top when you have a moment standing around... !
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Unfortunately everyone has to learn how to "crawl" before they can "walk/run"...Chin up, you'll get there at your own pace!!!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you've been sedentary your whole life, you should probably start out slow and work your way up. Expecting a straight 30 minutes right off the bat seems like a bit much. I think someone already suggested this but splitting it up to do 15 now and 15 later does help in terms of starting out - it's helped me anyway! And don't worry about the calories you're burning at the start, just worry about keeping your body in motion. So long as you're on your feet and moving around, you'll be working to get your body in a better place than just sitting around.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    Wow that seems crazy. I do Zumba, kickboxing and a spin class for an hour each class and according to my heart monitor I only burn 450 calories in the hour of each class. That seems a bit extreme in my opinion.

It really depends on age, gender and height/weight. I work out with someone and they always burn more calories than me no matter what the work out. Once she gets down to where she wants to be, we will probably burn about the same.
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    It will get easier as you go along. Try doing 15 minutes 4 times a week or 10 mins 6 times a week and that way you get in 1 hour per week. Just remember to pace yourself (but don't cheat yourself) and listen to your body... You'll get to the point where a half an hour isn't long enough. Keep it going :-) Best of luck in your weight loss journey.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've been in and out of gym membership for years, including after quite long absences. If it's a workplace gym, I would get a routine of doing 15mins four days a week, say Mon thru Thurs. that way you're getting a into great routine of exercise established in your life, and your gaining confidence that you can complete the task you've set yourself. You want to ease into it, not put yourself off
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    when I first started working out I could only do about 10 minutes on the elliptical now I can do an hour It take time and dedication but you'll get there go at your own pace and then try to add a little more every time you work out. Dont be afraid to push yourself when you dont think you have anymore in you either. Good luck add me if you want for encouragement
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It does get easier...but it is supposed to be hard. It is going to be hard. Unfortunately, it is going to be hard for quite a while. But it is so worth it. I remember when my trainer would push me to tears regularly. Try to get rid of the word can't. You can. Now, having said that, as many have said, you have to listen to your body. But know that it is going to be hard and your biggest battle is with yourself. If you say you can't, then you won't. If you say you have to stop, then you won't keep going. I'd say, go for 30 minutes. Maybe you have to go at a less strenuous pace, maybe you have to slow down for a bit....but hang in for 30 minutes because if you give yourself permission to say can't, it is not going to happen. Take care of yourself because your trainer is not inside your body. However, your body is going to tell you mind that you can't do it. That is what makes us fat. You have to put your mind in control. And exercising will virtually always energize you.... the hardest part is getting started. But ditch the word can't. You CAN.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You have made a HUGE step in the RIGHT DIRECTION!!!! Don't get discouraged this early in the game. Keep your chin up and take one day at a time. The more you work out the easier it will get. Good luck and GO FOR IT!!
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. I mainly use my elliptical for exercise and when I first started I could barely do 15min without feeling like I was dying. Now I can make it to 45min and a moderate-vigourous pace. I feel as though I am almost ready to make it to 60min. I was very sedentary when I started. You will get there. I don't know what type of cardio you are doing, but ellipticals are great for burning a lot in calories in minimal time.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It will get better, and more fun. As others have said, if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be worth it. Working out is called "work" for a reason - you find yourself in this place now because you (and everyone else here) have taken the easy way out for many many years.

As you begin to notice changes in your body, you'll begin to feel actualized and energized by your efforts, however difficult they feel at the time. In time, the effort will become part of your identity - you will no longer be the woman who is having exercise done to her, but instead will be the woman who does the exercise because she *can*, and will not give up because she *simply will not*!

Make this journey part of your identity - find yourself in the work and you'll find a better you in the process.

Also, I find that when I'm really working (between 130 and 170 bpm), I burn somewhere around 10 calories per minute of exercise. So 300-400 calories for 30 minutes is pretty normal, especially if you're busting *kitten*.

Keep it up!
  • feministsahm
    feministsahm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your trainer. If you've been sedentary your whole life, you probably shouldn't jump right into half an hour of intense exercise, and 700-800 calories/hour *is* intense. myfitnesspal says that to burn 400 calories in half an hour running you need to run at 7mph (8.5min/mile), and there is NO WAY a sedentary person could do that the first week! Or month! Maybe not even the first year.

Exercise is hard, but a regular cardio session shouldn't leave you wrecked for the rest of your day, so please, talk to your trainer. Starting out slowly and sticking to it is better than working too hard at the beginning, getting discouraged or hurt, and giving up.

Good luck and keep moving!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I'll definitely talk to him next time. I just couldnt make it. But I will get there :)
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    "If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great."
    Tom Hanks
    A League of Their Own

:flowerforyou:

FWIW, I've gone from minutes on the treadmill, zero incline, feeling out of breath to 30 minutes on the hill setting on the treadmill, followed by another 30 on the elliptical, level 10 hill setting, and every other day doing C25K (I'm on week 5). I find it is really amazing how quickly the body will respond to repeated exercise. My heart rate is much lower when walking than when I started, and when I "run" (which is really more of a jiggling-jog) my heart rate comes down much faster when I slow down than it did at first. And BONUS - I'm no longer out of breath from climbing the flight of stairs in our house (that was one of the things that tipped me over the edge into exercising!).

Keep going, keep trying, and keep slowing adding to the challenge when you attain your immediate goals. You WILL see a huge improvement if you keep at it!
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I recently started working out for the first time in my life. And I'm 49. I thought it was going to kill me and I could only do 10 minutes of Jillian Michaels - and I did the exercises poorly. That was about a week ago. I'm up to 18 minutes today and my form is much better. I figure I'll just keep on plugging away at it and I get a little better each time. I've been working out twice a day (when I'm not too sore) to try and make up for my poor performance.

I have back problems so I have to be careful. It's slow and frustrating but I'm getting there. Just keep at it!