Survey: Your Grocery Budget

Options
13»

Replies

• kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    There is only two of us, I shop and he cooks some of the time. I tend to pick up everything around the edge of the store and don't go into the boxed aisles unless it is a little pasta or cereal. I use more chicken than other food. A little red meat thrown in so he doesn't get upset. But it's around $300 a month and thats with 4 kitties to feed and all the dry stock such as paper towels, toilet paper.

Do you live where you could container garden or have a regular garden? That would help you save. We built a root cellar this year and we put by potatos and carrots and canned goods. I don't have to shop as much since we built it. I didn't buy potatos at all since last fall. Same with carrots. I hope you could do something like that if you are interested.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    theres no way in hell you can get all of that for 80$ yea right!! tell him were not in the 50's lol. me and my husband spend about 350-400$ a month. if you take out diapers and baby food we woulld still spend about 250 -300 a month. groceries is one thing we splurge on because theres nothing like having no food in the house

Check out farmers markets, bargain markets, and ethnic markets. You'd be amazed how cheap certain foods can get :)

Also, sign up for all of the local grocery stores' "price clubs" and make sure you sign up to get mailings. Once a week you should get circulars with listings of all of their deals. The deals tend to cycle every 12 weeks so once you get used to it you can start to plan in advance. Then compare and contrast.
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions. It looks like I need to make more efforts to save and he needs to be a little more flexible. Hopefully we can meet in the middle. But it helps to see that I'm not alone. A lot of people are in the same boat (a small budget) and make it work. Thanks again.