39 yr old male doing 30 day shred

Just thought I'd pass on my experiences after starting this.

Wasn't sure how tough it would be so I watched the DVD first. It didn't seem that tough.

Did it yesterday for the first time using 3kg hand weights. I have to admit I found it tough going in parts and had to take the 5 seconds jillian allows :). Went again today and again found it tough. It's the strength parts that trip me up and I'm thankful I went with the 3kg weights rather than the 7kg I normally use for my squats. Though I've found it tough I expect the rest periods will stop and my endurance will increase, hopefully leading to me progressively increasing the weight.

Anyway, I Intend to stick with it and if any other males are considering it or a bit dubious I say go ahead. It's a great accompaniment to my 48 hour weights rotation and cross trainer cardio. I fully expect to achieve my goals by the time I go on holiday in may.

Replies

• nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    I used 5 lbs weights and it kills me. I do not have 3 lbs ones. I am on day 7 and I still do modify anterior raises (one hand at a time). I expect it will get easier with time.
  • bcunning
    bcunning Posts: 81 Member
    Funny, it is the cardio that kills me, especially the circuit 1 cardio (jumping jacks alternating with jump ropes). The strength circuits always seem a bit too easy for me, the only problem I have doing those is that I am usually still catching my breath from the cardio. The abs circuits are relatively easy. I have just upped my weights from 5lbs to 8lbs, so we will see if that makes the strength circuits more in-line with the cardio.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    It's good to see a male doing the 30 day shred. I'm trying to convince my hubby to give it a shot, he's reluctant so far and feels that it's a girl's workout. I'll have to show him your post!
  • It does get easier - I used to 'flake' a bit during the strength bits (oddly the cardio was OK - maybe because it's shorter). But I can do all of level 1 without flaking now. Level 2 is good but now I'm struggling with the plank positions. But having had the experience of getting better at level 1 keeps my spirits up!
  • Pamela259
    Pamela259 Posts: 74 Member
    hi
    my fiance calls it my girly exercise, i made him do it with me on thursday and on friday he was moaning about all the aches he he he.
    keep it up
  • chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    I thought perhaps the weights were too heavy at 6.6lb, maybe I should have started lighter but as I've been lifting 26lb on bench press, chest fly and bicep curls in my usual weights program with no problem I thought I'd be ok.

I guess I was wrong.

Keep it up everyone, I'm having a rest day today. First in 9 days.