Question on Weight Loss Pace

Options
Hi,

I've been on MFP for about 32 days now and I've lost 6.5 pounds so far (YAY!). My goal is to lose around 37 pounds all together. My question is can I continue to lose 6 pounds each month. I hear that weight loss slows down after a while, and I was wondering

1) when this usually happens
2) how much it actually slows down

Also, is there anything that I could do to try and make my weight loss consistent?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    6 lbs/month is a reasonable number. I think you could do that till you hit your goal.

Your body burns less as you lose weight, but the drop isn't really that much. As long as you're eating at a 6lb/month calorie deficit, you should continue to lose at that rate.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well, it depends on your deficit--everything comes down to deficit. I would expect the weight loss to slow down as you near goal because it might become uncomfortable/difficult to keep a deficit of 750 for 5 months straight. It's not a race--cross that bridge when you come to it. congrats on the loss.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep eating well and exercising - don't go too low or too high on either.
    As long as you are doing these things then your body will respond, but you don't get to dictate the pace. It's almost inevitable that for one reason or another you will see more or less weight loss now and again. Don't lose sleep over it, in the big picture it really doesn't matter what pace the weight comes off, it's more important that you get healthy and develop good habits so you can stay that way for the long term.

My latest thought is that losing weight is like waiting for hair to grow... it will happen (if you do the right things) but you can't make it happen overnight, no matter how you want it.
  • nullmom
    nullmom Posts: 10
    Options
    I talked to a couple people about this issue including a personal trainer and they say you have to trick your body. never keep your caloric intake the same. 800 to 1200 then 900 to 1150 etc. keep your body guessing so it will not store anything as fat and wont put you into starvation mode. I am down 45.6 pounds so far and it is working wonders for me. I hope this helps you achieve your goals!