1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 large egg
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 medium apple, peeled, cored & grated
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 tsp powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pie spice in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, beat the egg and add the buttermilk, grated apple, and pumpkin.
Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir until blended. Do not overmix.

Spoon into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.
Cut into 10 slices. Each Slice is a serving.

Here's the nutrition info, which I already entered into MFP
1 serving is 137 calories, 1g fat, 0g sat fat, 0 trans fat, 22mg chol, 243 mg sodium, 28g carb, 1 g fiber, 4g protien, 57mg calcium.

Replies

• LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin- Apple Bread
    2 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 large egg
    1 cup low fat buttermilk
    1 medium apple, peeled, cored & grated
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
    1 tsp powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pie spice in a large bowl.
    In a small bowl, beat the egg and add the buttermilk, grated apple, and pumpkin.
    Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir until blended. Do not overmix.

Spoon into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
    Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.
    Cut into 10 slices. Each Slice is a serving.

Here's the nutrition info, which I already entered into MFP
    1 serving is 137 calories, 1g fat, 0g sat fat, 0 trans fat, 22mg chol, 243 mg sodium, 28g carb, 1 g fiber, 4g protien, 57mg calcium.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    oooooh that sounds good, bet you could use whole wheat flour and make it even better for you. Thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    oooooh that sounds good, bet you could use whole wheat flour and make it even better for you. Thanks for sharing

Yep, totally can use the whole wheat flour. I used egg beaters too in place of the egg.

I doubled the batch cuz everyone in my house loves this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Cyndi,

I've been trying to come up with a good recipe for my canned pumpkin - I'm trying it......wonder if there is some sub for the buttermilk.. . . .anyone?

ooh, Thanks Amy_B for that "vinegar" idea!

edit to add. I just went to mayoclinic.com and learned there is Nonfat Buttermilk., who knew? :laugh:

Cyndi,

I've been trying to come up with a good recipe for my canned pumpkin - I'm trying it......wonder if there is some sub for the buttermilk. . . .anyone??
    I know you can use 1T vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup to make a sub for buttermilk.