Yes I peak at your food diary and must ask you...

Options

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with sugar in my life.

I've always been within healthy weight range for my height, even at my highest (12 lbs. ago), and I enjoy sugar, even plan to allow calories for sweets consumption multiple times a day (gasp!).

I work out 6 days a week, and I have an athletic body fat percentage.

That's why not.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like many others I just don't really care.

I don't track anything except calories (well the other stuff shows up but I'm sure it's wildly inaccurate since half the stuff I eat I've never entered the details for).

I know that my basic diet is healthy, it's portion control I have to watch. I don't have a particularly sweet tooth and so sugar just isn't really an issue. I probably go over based on my fruit but frankly that's fine with me.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, an Oreo Blast from Sonic produces faster runs the next day.
    :laugh:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, an Oreo Blast from Sonic produces faster runs the next day.

interesting...I'm gonna have to test out this theory :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Because after the Macros, Fiber and Sodium are the next most important to me and there is more room to monitor anything else.

Fiber aids in digestion and helps you feel fuller.

High sodium causes me to retain water and I have high blood pressure so I need to make sure I keep this down.

This ^
    (I don't have high blood pressure, but do want to avoid the water retention issues. And Fiber has been linked to cardiovascular health as well!)
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't always come in under. I mainly monitor my sodium though. I often wonder why more people don't monitor that.

Ditto! Maybe because they wouldn't be eating much or would have to change a lot! Salt is EVERYWHERE and is so important. Not sure if people realize the importance either. I have to watch everthing since my husband has high blood pressure and we are working on getting him off the meds.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    Because I think it's silly that a kiwi, a banana, and a sweet potato will put me 'over' on sugar. And, I just really don't care.
    exactly!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't have any insulin related medical conditions and consequently I don't believe it's important for me. I also do not subscribe to the "sugar is poison" model of nonsense.

(Having said that, I also hit my macronutrient goals and consequently, I couldn't eat candy bars all day nor would I. This common sense being applied to my food selection is another reason that I don't bother tracking it).

really like this response so I'm borrowing it. :drinker:

While I drink my Bailey's n milk...mmmmmmmm.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Because I calculate my calories on my own (I swear the packages lie. I've counted a THIRTY calorie difference in some foods) and I enter them through Quick Add and entering each and every category would take time that I don't have.....

That said sugar isn't my kryptonite. Fat is. So I take mental notes of fats in my diet. I also work out a lot, (700+ burn daily) so I make sure to really keep up my protein.

Carbs - 4 cals per g
    Protein - 4 cals per g
    Fat - 9 cals per g
    Alcohol - 7 cals per g

Knowing this information, I like to do the math myself so I can make SURE I stay under. Because the rounding that the packages do really adds up and depending on your diet you can be eating an extra few hundred cals a week.
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Because i always go WAY over my sugar but it all comes from fruit and honey i always ignore it when i try and track it so i dont even put it there
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Because I eat ice cream every night!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    There are no medical reasons I need to monitor my sugar, no one in my family has ever had diabetes or high blood sugar.

My smoothie in the morning puts me over my sugar for the day from fruit so i stopped tracking it.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Because the sugar monitor on here is immensely inaccurate. You should be watching refined sugars but a lot of my sugar comes from fruit.

I'm definitely more preoccupied with iron and sodium.

You should also watch how much "natural" sugar you consume also. It is metabolized the same as refined sugar and can lead to chronic inflammation in the future.

It's not like I'm binging on fruits either. But eating two or three servings of fruit will easily put you over the limit on here.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    First off, how did you guess my password?

I've been failing at dieting for a long time. I'm going with KISS (Keep It Simple Silly). I weigh X, my basal metabolism is Y, I want to lose Z pounds a week. Right now for some personal reasons a lot of exercise isn't possible. Hopefully that will change with some medical stuff and weight loss. I'm eating Y-(700*Z) calories a day. I just worry about my protein numbers, because I'm trying to avoid lose muscle mass, so right now keeping that at 25 percent of my calories.

Sugar and protein powder all day? If it's less then my formula sure.
    Lard and protein powder all day? If it's less then my formula sure.

Like everything else here, your mileage may vary, but it's working for me for now.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Because I haven't found sugar to make a difference in my weight loss or my overall health (based on bloodwork and how I feel). I do tons of long endurance-type cardio, and to be honest - my best workouts are often fueled by jellybeans. :-)

This.

Sugar is the first immediate source of energy that the body draws upon. To begin movement, the body requires sugar. It reverts to fat after the sugar burns away. Sugar is like lighter fluid. The body uses it to get the metabolic "fires" started, but it burns up quickly. Fat is used to keep the fire going; consumed fats and then stored fats.

Edit: This analogy isn't necessarily the best in terms of describing metabolism because that is continuous and doesn't really go out like a fire, but the relationship of sugar to the metabolism fits the analogy.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I really don't care about my sugars. I put a ton of effort into my fats, proteins and carbs along with calories and fiber. Why should I worry about sugar as well when it doesn't matter and I should be able to enjoy a little sugar since I hardly get many carbs as it is!

AGREED!!!!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Because I eat ice cream every night!

:heart: This.

And what Sidesteal said. :drinker:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't always come in under. I mainly monitor my sodium though. I often wonder why more people don't monitor that.

Ditto! Maybe because they wouldn't be eating much or would have to change a lot! Salt is EVERYWHERE and is so important. Not sure if people realize the importance either. I have to watch everthing since my husband has high blood pressure and we are working on getting him off the meds.

I don't really track or worry about sodium because my blood pressure is well below 120/80 as it is, my family has always eaten salt and has no history of high blood pressure, and I'm more worried about keeping the potassium up as I find the research on sodium/potassium balance versus sodium alone to be pretty compelling.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Because I don't have issues with sugars, carbs, sodium etc .. as long as I am under my calorie goal, I'm fine.

And I ask you in return:

Why do you give a hoot what I monitor and don't monitor?
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor the sugar very closely. I try to limit processed sugars to once a day. Some days I don't have any, some days I have a little more, but it probably comes close to averaging once a day, and I am OK with that.