food food food

Options
Nich0le
Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
We have a lot of discussions on this site about what kinds of foods we should be eatting, there are those that like quick and easy prepackaged processed foods and there are those that are die hard real food fans.

I thought everyone should take a look at a book I am reading, its called "in defense of food". This book really brings to light how we americans have become obsessed with food, we spend more time obsessing over it and trying to alter it to make it healthier than the rest of the world yet we die from more cancers, heart disease and obesity related issues than other "civilized" countries.

It is referred to as the "western diet" and what they have found since the 1960's is that whenever a country adopts the western diet they start to die younger, get fatter and basically be unhealthier than they were before they changed their idea of food.

It really makes you think about what you are putting in your body and so far, my theory is right, that since the introduction of artificial sweetners and "healthier" food (low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol etc) people just keep getting fatter and unhealthier.

It's time to throw out the western diet and go back to basics, eatting food that is natural, not enhanced or chemically grown. One of the most shocking facts about food, a century ago when people ate what we consider a high fat unhealthy diet they lived longer and died from less cancers, heart disease and the obesity rate was nearly non existent. hmmmmmm.

Replies

• Nich0le
    Options
    We have a lot of discussions on this site about what kinds of foods we should be eatting, there are those that like quick and easy prepackaged processed foods and there are those that are die hard real food fans.

I thought everyone should take a look at a book I am reading, its called "in defense of food". This book really brings to light how we americans have become obsessed with food, we spend more time obsessing over it and trying to alter it to make it healthier than the rest of the world yet we die from more cancers, heart disease and obesity related issues than other "civilized" countries.

It is referred to as the "western diet" and what they have found since the 1960's is that whenever a country adopts the western diet they start to die younger, get fatter and basically be unhealthier than they were before they changed their idea of food.

It really makes you think about what you are putting in your body and so far, my theory is right, that since the introduction of artificial sweetners and "healthier" food (low fat, high fiber, low cholesterol etc) people just keep getting fatter and unhealthier.

It's time to throw out the western diet and go back to basics, eatting food that is natural, not enhanced or chemically grown. One of the most shocking facts about food, a century ago when people ate what we consider a high fat unhealthy diet they lived longer and died from less cancers, heart disease and the obesity rate was nearly non existent. hmmmmmm.
  • Nich0le
    Options
    In addition, there are a lot of us that try to find a way to get some kind of "dessert" into our daily diet, using 100 calorie packs etc. If you think about it, when you were a kid how often were you allowed a soda or given candy or dessert? We don't need this daily, these items used to be considered a treat and now we are spoiled and want it everyday. Our way of thinking about food in general is really messed up and driven by the food marketing.

Ok I'm sort of off my pedestal now that it is time to get my big *kitten* on the treadmill! :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hey move over, up on that soapbox.

Yes, I'm a hard core "real food" advocate. I would much rather have a six hundred calorie, full of delicious butter treat once every week or two than a processed, refined, full of chemicals "low fat" "treat" every day.

I don't think that fake treats really satisfy, or low fat foods or refined foods. The politics involved in what we eat are disgraceful.

I love the book. "Eat. not too much. mostly plants." Best diet advice EVER!

:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Options
    great, more reading for me!

There is plenty of room on my soap box for everyone. The reason I am up here is I have tried the "easy" way, the buy it so you don't have to think about it way and all it got me was more weight and less energy and more zits!

My husband is a chef and a die hard organic foods user and so I have some help in this area but I have come to realize that until I quit doing it the way the food industry and diet industry want me to do it I will never reach my goals, real food all the way and a real treat when I am out for dinner or special occasion, no crappy unsatisfying 100 cal packs.

ok, im done.
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    No I agree with you completely. I live way out in the country so fast food was never an issue for me until I went to college, then Arby's became my best friend and I started gaining weight. Even now I can tell a difference when I cook from scratch at home or when we go out to eat. I eat a ton of elk meat, and not farm raised elk either. Also we have all home grown pork and beef. I find if I eat what I cook for the rest of my family I have a hard time getting all of my calories for the day. However when I eat packaged crap I always go over. I think that people are so far off the farm that they have no idea where food comes from anymore or what's in it and they don't even realize what they are eating. Having said that I don't know if I agree with the whole organic craze either. I think that America's farmers and ranchers are doing a fine job providing food for over triple the amount of people on less than 2/3 of the ground than there was 50 years ago. And if people would take the food from the grocery store and make dinner, not out of a box or can and definitely nothing that you just nook America wouldn't have the obesity problem that we do. I understand that everyone is busy, but our ancestor's were just as busy and they managed to do it. I never want my children to struggle with weight so I take the time to feed them what they need and yes it would be easier to just go through a drive thru somewhere but in the long run is it worth it? I didn't mean to get on a soup box here but I just think that if everyone would start making small changes this would be better place for our kids and us. The saying goes work on the 2x4 in your own eye before you point out the sliver in mine. I do practice what I've said here and I've seen first hand the difference that it makes. Just something to think about and try. Good luck everyone!!
  • Nich0le
    Options
    I do a lot of organics but not everything, but aren't organic farmers still farmers? I do stay away from meats treated with hormones and I get milk that is RBST free, in my own home study since my kids were little I find that my daughter has way less emotional ups and downs when I use rbst free milk, most milk is becoming rbst free now anyway. I think you are right, we are so far from the farm that we forgot what is right for us.

The thing that I think most people forget, is like you said, fast food. Fast food is mostly processed, full of salt and sugar and you don't know what is in it. Did anyone here know that Taco Bell has replace most of their ground beef product with soy???? Soy is not really as great as the media says.

An average fast food meal contains almost a full days calories (1400-2100). So if you eat just one meal a day at a fast food joint you are already set to overeat, even though the food does not satisfy or keep you full for long. YUCK

Also, as a mother, it is my job to teach my children how to be healthy productive adults and if I don't teach them how to eat real food and teach them that everything comes from boxes or cans or whatever then I am just setting them up to become obese adults, like me...and I don't think that is what I or anyone else really wants for their children.
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    Yes organic farmers are still farmers. However they do still use chemicals to help their production, things like dish soap and such rather than pesticides. As for the hormones and such I don't think that they are as bad for us as the media has lead everyone to believe. They have to blame the weight problem that our country has on something so if they tell us that the farmers are making food bad for us with chemicals, hormones or whatever the monster may be then that gives them a great way to solve the "problem" with more processed foods or you can go "all organic"( which by the way most of those animals still get vaccinated and the produce still has something put on it to keep the bugs from getting it) and pay out the wazzoo. I agree with you that we all want better for our kids but I think that the answer to that is to look back to when our ancestor's had to work in order to eat. They ate what they needed and didn't over do it. They didn't use food as an award the way that we do. I mean how many times have we all used food as an award for a job well done? We as a country have totally lost touch with reality as far as wants and needs. And it shows in our economy and weight. I think that it's great that you are doing what you are for your kids. I know that sometimes it's not easy but it is the best.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    You know, I've had some pretty interesting internal debates about the idea of food ingredients in the US. What I have come to after lots of research and some pretty scary movies (watch fast food nation if you want to really be grossed out about our fast food industry) is that our biggest problem as a society IMHO, isn't the ingredients we put in the food we make at home, but the fast food/restaurant food we eat.
    Americans eat more fast food then anyone else on the planet, and when you look at averages, you have to take into account that fast food is basically all bad carbs and sugars (with some well processed, steroid laden protein thrown in), add the insane Cola industry to the mix and presto, instant fat country. Our childeren are extremely obese and as a result, they grow up to be bad eaters that have depression issues that fuels even more bad eating habits. Right along with that is the food the chain restaurants use, I.E. chilli's, the outback, Applebees,...etc. These places also use high fat, highly processed "bad" carb products AND they give you giant portions to boot.

Add to this that we no longer require nearly as much physical activity from our schools whether it is because of $$ shortages or lack of other resources, and the fact that 50% of adults do not get the physical activity they should be and you get today's America.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    yes, natural is better in most ways. one reason the people in the past could eat a diet higher in fat and 'bad' foods, is the fact they worked for a living. of course by that I mean in a physical way. most jobs have gone computerized or in someother way less physical and it makes a huge difference in what the body can handle. I believe in real butter, real sour cream etc. but do use the artificial sweeteners. although I try to stick with stevia. I believe I read somewhere, the organic plants actually produce their own natural pesticides that protect them from disease and its even more toxic to humans than the chemicals we spray on. the bottome line for me is wash everything twice. grin. I get stressed at all the empty crap out there to choose from. and those same things are put into mini bags for us to give to our children. of course a hundred calorie bag of carrots would be too big to fit into the lunch box, but you get the idea. keep spreading the word....real food. is real good.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that the types of foods we eat are a factor, I don't beleive it's the whole story. Our jobs have changed dramatically from 100 years ago. Most of us sit at a desk all day with very little physical activity. We stress about EVERYTHING.: Drugs and alcohol are much more prevalent. We takes pills to sleep and caffiene to wake up. We pride ourselves on working 60 hours a week and skipping vacations. We are far less connected to our extended families and our communities. The western diet isn't as much a culprit as the western lifestyle.

And....despite our unhealthy lifestyles, our average lifespans have increased dramatically from that of our great grandparents.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that the types of foods we eat are a factor, I don't beleive it's the whole story. Our jobs have changed dramatically from 100 years ago. Most of us sit at a desk all day with very little physical activity. We stress about EVERYTHING.: Drugs and alcohol are much more prevalent. We takes pills to sleep and caffiene to wake up. We pride ourselves on working 60 hours a week and skipping vacations. We are far less connected to our extended families and our communities. The western diet isn't as much a culprit as the western lifestyle.

And....despite our unhealthy lifestyles, our average lifespans have increased dramatically from that of our great grandparents.

I completely agree with this. Western World needs a change. I went to Italy a few years ago and the lifestyle is so different. They actually close businesses for a couple hours so people can go home and sit, a have a good meal. Here in the US, we rush to get drive-thru so we could be back at work in 30 minutes or hear an ear-ful from our managers why we are late. And they go to a coffee house and sit and drink their coffee or whatever instead of getting it in a cardboard cup. And I don't think I saw anyone there that was overweight except for maybe tourists.
  • Nich0le
    Options
    See, we all have great points.

Fresh food yay
    organic yay too, yes they still use pest deterrants but no it is not more costly, at least not where I live, I can get the same price whether its organic or not and there are a lot of farmers markets near me.
    Yes we eat too, no way too much fast easy food in this county
    Yes our jobs and physical requirements have changed a lot in the last 100 years, heck since I was a kid physical movement has changed a ton.

But it got us all thinking and realizing that we need to change. One of the points in my book that I am reading is that this is the first time in history that we have had so many food options available to us, from "food like" products to farm fresh, organic, etc. Maybe it's time we all just said no to fast out of the home and yes to fast meals prepared at home. It isn't all that hard and I know I definitely feel great about what I am putting in my families mouth, I just seem to still be putting too much into mine :laugh:

I hesitated about the original post, I was sure I'd get a lot of angry responses, I am glad to see that we are all thinking and trying to do something better than the food industry and food marketing has done for us! :happy: :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I completely agree with this. Western World needs a change. I went to Italy a few years ago and the lifestyle is so different. They actually close businesses for a couple hours so people can go home and sit, a have a good meal. Here in the US, we rush to get drive-thru so we could be back at work in 30 minutes or hear an ear-ful from our managers why we are late. And they go to a coffee house and sit and drink their coffee or whatever instead of getting it in a cardboard cup. And I don't think I saw anyone there that was overweight except for maybe tourists.

See, THIS is why I want to move to Sicily! My grandpa had it easy over there! :bigsmile: One of my friends went to Italy....you can imagine my jealousy! Well I was near anger when she said she didn't like it that much because, "It's hot and you have to walk everywhere." :noway:
    The Western Diet is based on carbohydrate, which isn't a terrible thing, but they make fats look evil and make all carbohydrates look like their created 'equally', but they're certainly not. We are taught to monitor fat and not sugar, and that's just recently begun to change since the Atkins and South Beach diets came into popularity. Of course, people find a way to ruin those (ooh bologna and McD's without the bun all day!) but I am a strong proponent of a diet with only complex carbohydrate, high protein and moderate fat. It's the polar opposite of the high carb, low protein, no-fat phase that's plagued us since the 50's.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes...I agree with it all. The fast food, the restaurant foods and the lack of exercise or movement that we make in this country makes for horrible health.

Just last week I went to a friend's house for dinner...for what promised to be a "homemade" meal. I'm single and live alone, therefore my friend thought that since I seem to eat "quick meals", that it would be great if I can sit down with their family for a "homemade" meal. I have to tell you, I appreciate the thought, but my quick meals are usually either raw organic veggies or steamed veggies along with natural chicken breast or some kind of fish and sometimes brown rice or something.

I sat down to dinner and was served quick fix meals from the freezer of Costco. Full of sodium and other preservatives, very little protein and high in fat. And green salad out of a bag along with bottled dressing and fake bacon. Is this what Americans think "homemade" meals are? Something to take out of the freezer and stick into the oven? :cry: I'm sad that we have gotten to this point in our society.

We need to educate, educate, educate...
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes...I agree with it all. The fast food, the restaurant foods and the lack of exercise or movement that we make in this country makes for horrible health.

Just last week I went to a friend's house for dinner...for what promised to be a "homemade" meal. I'm single and live alone, therefore my friend thought that since I seem to eat "quick meals", that it would be great if I can sit down with their family for a "homemade" meal. I have to tell you, I appreciate the thought, but my quick meals are usually either raw organic veggies or steamed veggies along with natural chicken breast or some kind of fish and sometimes brown rice or something.

I sat down to dinner and was served quick fix meals from the freezer of Costco. Full of sodium and other preservatives, very little protein and high in fat. And green salad out of a bag along with bottled dressing and fake bacon. Is this what Americans think "homemade" meals are? Something to take out of the freezer and stick into the oven? :cry: I'm sad that we have gotten to this point in our society.

We need to educate, educate, educate...

Another big change in our country......

My mother and my grandmother started teaching me (and my brother) to cook when we were just little. (I still have my very first cookbook and consider it a treasure). It was part of the family tradition to prepare meals together and sit down and eat together. Now, I can't even count on one hand the friends I have who know how to cook. One of my best friends has 4 children and until recently, when her doctor put her on a strict diet, had NEVER cooked at home. Her children were being raised on fast food, pizza and take out. WOW! Think about it, an entire generation that doesn't know how to do more than order take out.
  • stratton
    Options
    Here Here......if you look at port. siz. it is truly so out of wack......a kids meal at Micky D's is the real sizr we should have...everything is bigger and we want our $ worth so we eat the whole thing. We need to get back to the orig. size and proper food....not chemicals and junk....when will we ever learn...go organic............fresh from the ground...........not blasted with body alter...chem......
  • flachix
    Options
    fast food, is an opition, its not mandatory. dining out is an option, porton sizes....option. what I am getting at is they can't FORCE us to eat this crap. I ordered a salad at a small restaurant yesterday, it was huge. filled with fresh toppings, and bacon, and boiled eggs. I asked for salsa instead of salad dressing. I took what I wanted off of the plate. and left the rest. which I took home and made into 2 more servings and shared with my DH. just because you get a tub of caramel with those Mcdonalds apples, you don't have to eat it, toss it in the trash. its a shame they feel they have to do this though. I was picking up a pkg of those baby carrots for lunch, and right next to them is the serving size packs and guess what, they had full fat dressing included. now why would someone take a lovely sweet carrot and smother it in grease? ugh. I agree the fast paced life we live here in America has begun to take its toll. but in small places like this one, people are beginning to rebel and make changes, and all it takes is a small group of dedicated people to change the world. I'm on board with it. now, if I can only get the carlot to close every day between 2-6 so I can have a life. laugh. cooking at home isn't easy, especially if you get home at 6 and don't want to eat at 8. we need to start a thread of 30 minute meals. come on everyone. we can do this. let's change the world, starting right here!!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, I like.

How 'bout a "real food challenge" recipe thread? I must consult my cookbook cupboard. . .

I try not to judge, but 100-calorie packs are the low-tar cigarettes of our generation.

There, I said it.

:flowerforyou: I still love everyone!
  • flachix
    Options
    great...you start the thread and I will look at my recipes. and I totally agree with the 100 cal pack definition!!