C25k again + minor weights to help lower body fat

Options
I am a 40-year-old male.
I'm 6'2" and currently weigh 243# (though my frame is such that whenever I divulge my weight to someone, they usually stand in disbelief that I weigh that much)...regardless...my ultimate goal is to lose body fat.

I'm from Iowa, sit in a chair all day...have 3 kids and lovely wife. Entered my 40s and realized staying fit only gets tougher from here. Have changed diet to mostly plant with white meat when eating meat. Other than trying to minimize the hormones my three little ones might be ingesting from processed meats, there's no other real reason our household has gone to a more plant-based diet. Though some might consider my build "husky", I'm not the "must eat meat" type -- if it tastes good and is healthy....I'll try to get more of it in my body.

About a month ago, a buddy of mine an I started a body fat loss challenge between the two of us. I started off, initially, by just thinking I'd be fine curbing my diet....

After discovering a package of Chips A'Hoy Reeses Peanut Butter cookies my wife snagged from the Dollar Tree store, I realized if I couldn't resist the periodic caloric detours, I needed to inject more exercise into my lifestyle if I was going to have a chance at our challenge. So yesterday, after over a year off from running, I started back up on the wonderfully effective (at the very least, for me) Couch-2-5k program. It worked for me back in 2010 to run a sub-10 min/mi 5k pace after nine weeks. Not bad, I think, for someone who has never run for exercise in their life.

Since I sit all day @ work and have an Olympic weight bench in my basement, I thought I should probably fire that up and get my metabolism at least acting like it belongs to a little less sedentary individual. :)

I don't recall how I stumbled across MFP but I thought I'd give it a try.