Picking a personal trainer

This summer I'll be joining up with a gym that I had a 1-month membership with over winter break. I was happy with my experience.

However, I really want to push myself this summer and get more definition. I think a trainer would help push me. It is my plan to ask for one as a b-day present. He or she would most likely work a the gym I plan to join.

What are some good ways to deduce if we'll get along and that I won't be wasting my money? I want a trainer who will push me, but safely and wisely...teehee, like Jillian Michaels.

Any good questions to ask that could set off a BS detector? Any steps I should take?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    This summer I'll be joining up with a gym that I had a 1-month membership with over winter break. I was happy with my experience.

However, I really want to push myself this summer and get more definition. I think a trainer would help push me. It is my plan to ask for one as a b-day present. He or she would most likely work a the gym I plan to join.

What are some good ways to deduce if we'll get along and that I won't be wasting my money? I want a trainer who will push me, but safely and wisely...teehee, like Jillian Michaels.

Any good questions to ask that could set off a BS detector? Any steps I should take?
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    ask the club manager who has what kind of reputation.

go for a few weeks and watch how the different PTs handle their clients.

see if the PTs will offer you a 30min trial training session (so you can try on the dress before you buy it:wink:)

Make it VERY clear what you want from your trainer... and don't be afraid to dump someone if you're unhappy.
  • tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    Ask the people you see working with trainers at your new gym how they like their trainers and who they would recommend for you. People who use trainers regularly have often used more than one at a gym.

Enthusiasm sometimes counts for more than experience. Some trainers will go above and beyond for you (in terms of preparation, offering you "choreographed" cardio workouts to do on your own time, printing out your workouts for you so you can do them between sessions, bringing you in articles to read) and others (especially the most experienced) will show up and wing it.

A trainer that prepares ahead of time won't blink an eye if you ask whether you can have a copy of the workout to use on your own between sessions.

Good luck!

(ps, I am a trainer)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    There are a couple of things you should do. 1st ask the trainers you are thinking of using to schedule a sit down, 15 minute talk. If they can't do this, or won't because they are too busy, they aren't for you.
    If you sit down with them and don't immediately like them, they aren't for you.
    Ask them for client references, if they can't immediately give you a couple, they aren't for you.
    Ask them what routine they would like you to follow, if they give you something that sounds wrong, or not your type of routine, they're not for you.

FOLLOW up with the references, if any of them raise red flags, they are not for you.
    Ask for their certification credentials, and research them. If they are certified by some no name group, or a group that doesn't require CPR certification, they aren't for you.

these are some of the things you should do.

Hope this helps.
  • tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    one more thing ... please give your trainer feedback. Is it too easy? too hard? Want to focus on simpler exercises you can repeat on your own time? want to do only the creative stuff during your PT appointments because you can already do all the "simpler" exercises on your own? Want to do cardio on your own time? trainers aren't mind readers, and really want YOU to be happy and to progress.
    Good luck.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Ok, thanks guys!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    The advice already given is great.

If your trainer works at your job watch them in action. Ensure they are actually pushing their clients and not just socializing. If you have the chance, approach someone you've seen the trainer with to get their opinon. References are great but of course the trainer will refer you to someone they know will say positive things about them :laugh:

Also, personally, I choose a male trainer. A hot male trainer. I figured I'd be more inclined to push myself and less likely to argue. Plus, he was easy on the eyes which was a nice reward for the hard work I was doing :blushing: