A calorie is a calorie.......or is it??????

Options

Replies

• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump
  • egdanger1
    egdanger1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE!! PLEASE teach me what a macronutrient is and how i can eat the right amount of low carb/high protein diet so i can get those illusive abs everyone feigns over!!! really, i am all ears!

I have just started on this particular part of my journey. But I started by researching good v. bad carbs. What I gleaned from this was to strive for more whole grain products (cereals, rice, bread, crackers) and products without a lot of added sugar. To stay away from baked goods (cookies, cakes, pies, white bread), white rice and regular pasta. As far as protein, instead of eating a starch with my meal, I will usually eat 1/2 extra serving of the meat (lean meat). Also, I have learned that eggs are not the enemy. I have not totally deprived myself of these things. But I have made a significant cut in my consumption.
  • egdanger1
    Options
    Thats funny that you posted this as I was thinking the exact same thing today.........you can most definitely stay within your calories, but are they healthy choices? Are they loaded with fat, sugar and salt? I have a very big problem in that area. Thanks for posting:bigsmile:

This was also my problem. I was all happy about staying within my calorie goal, but I was always wondering why I was not loosing my Soft spots. Well, there you have it.
  • egdanger1
    Options
    I agree-- 150 calories worth or oreo cookies isn't the same as say a bowl of fruit that is 150 calories. I'm glad that you're sharing your thoughts-- I find it truly amazing when someone says something and people start attacking them!

So true!!!
  • egdanger1
    Options
    very well said. I was trying to explain this to my friend...when she started on a "diet" and I told her that the orange was worth more than...say a cake pop. And she said that she felt like she was wasting her calories on the orange. 0_o

:sigh:

Thats funny!!!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are not created equal... that's for sure! :)
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.....and I'm still learning. (Don't look at today.....I ate out too much but really had no other choice).

Bumping to read the articles when I'm not tired!!
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have learned one truth during this long journey to a healthy, fit, well-toned, tight body, the hard way............

A calorie IS a calorie when it comes to general weight loss....... BUT

A calorie IS NOT a calorie when it comes to health and nutrients

A calorie is NOT a calorie when it comes to defeating the "SOFT AREAs"

A calorie is most assuredly not a calorie when it comes to MY ABDOMINALS........Ughhhhhhh

This has been the missing piece of the puzzle for me going from "nice body" to "wow, I love your arms/abs/etc

By they way, if anyone is peeping my diet, don't judge me (lol), yesterday was a BAD CHEAT day, out for lunch and on top of that I couldn't resist the pizza anymore that my husband bought 2 days ago.

There is NOTHING wrong with mimosas for lunch! lol!

What foods do you think are affecting your abs?
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Macros = protein, fats and carbs

Shoot for a minimum of 1g of pro per lb of lbm, .35g of fat per lb of bw and fill in the rest of the cals how you please. Maintain a caloric deficit and profit
    Please confirm for me that "1g of pro per lb of lbm" means 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass? I'm really trying to learn, also. Thank you!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Great post. I totally agree. My wife (hootsmamma) and I have been slowly changing our eating habits and slowly deleting processed foods and moving to healthier whole fresh foods. We are working at eating for lifestyle changes and not to have super fast weight loss. I'M eating at least 2350calories a day and it's been slow but very steady and my health is greatly improved. pre-diabetes gone and HBP way down to almost normal without meds and below normal with only one med as oppsed to five meds and a patch a year ago.

Ps. I apologize for the post pic, but my wife who has MS was having a down day so I shaved the first initial of her name on my chest to give her a laugh and pick up her spirits.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Shoot for a minimum of 1g of pro per lb of lbm, .35g of fat per lb of bw and fill in the rest of the cals how you please. Maintain a caloric deficit and profit
    Please confirm for me that "1g of pro per lb of lbm" means 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass? I'm really trying to learn, also. Thank you!

Correct and note that is a minimum so going over isn't a big deal
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Me too!
  • cookiesrgood15
    cookiesrgood15 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i enjoyed reading this thanks!!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

These are guidelines I follow:

1. Shop the perimeter of grocery stores and not the aisles
    2. Avoid/limit starches: white rice, white bread, pasta, potatoes
    3. If I can crumble food to dust, avoid it
    4. No pop, juice, or other liquid sugars - just drink water instead
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this philosophy, and am working toward all my calories being good ones. For me, the first step is cutting calories and exercising daily, and incorporating as much fruit and veggies into my daily diet as I can (I'm trying for at least 5 servings a day), little or no fast food, etc. I think it would be overwhelming for me to completely overhaul my diet all at once, but I'd definitely like to work toward that, ultimately.