Underactive Thyroid

Options
Anyone else here suffer with this? I've had it since birth and it's always hindered my size and I'm fed up of all the slim "friends" I know telling me I'm just using it as an excuse - I'm really not. It takes ages for the weight to fall off me and when I don't see results as quickly as others who don't have it I lose all hope and give up.

I know I'm never going to be a size 12, I don't want to be. Am currently a 24/26 (UK sizing). Happy to get down to a size 18 again like I used to be.

So, anyone else got this same health problem? Sometimes feel like I'm alone and getting no support :(

It doesn't help much that I have a partner who doesn't seem to be interested in helping me. She's fairly big too and likes me the way I am but I'm fed up of being fat and frumpy - so the weight loss is for me

Replies

• mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I hav an under active thyroid, had it since...1980 something!!! I hav a very strict no excuses policy! just becausey thyroid makes it harder dosent mean I can't hav the body I want! just because hubby works a lot and i hav a lot of children to look after dosent mean I can't find the time somewhere in my day to exercise. you can have what ever you want. and in my opinion, if yr partner loves you she will respect what you want and support you all the way :) good luck
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Go to your doctor and ask for thyroxin
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are you on medication? The correct dose will even out your thyroid levels and you will be able to lose at a normal rate. I have no thyroid and live on synthetic hormone. I have no trouble losing weight. Talk to your doctor about this.
  • Stinkybug
    Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have had an under active thyroid for about 8 years now. I found out because I went into the Dr. thinking I had depression and found out I had an under active thyroid instead. I got on meds for a while and then quit taking them for a few years (big mistake). I got back on the meds about 3 years ago and finally started feeling well enough to exercise and work on getting healthy again. I did not start losing weight just because of the meds. They just help to keep things working right so that I can lose weight when I put in the effort.
  • srathfelder
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease in the early 1990's and take replacement medication. I guess I used it as an excuse until January. Since January 5th of this year I've lost 26 lbs and it has come off fairly steadily. I do walk at least 30 minutes 4 to 5 days a week and try to make one or two of those walks a full hour.. My dr did change my bp med and I think that is helping a lot. I was on atenolol (beta blocker) and now take losarten. Since the change in the bp med I have had a lot more energy, it may have been interfering with my thyroid medication. I take generic levoxythyrine for my thyroid replacement.
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yep am on 175mcg of Thyroxine - taken daily. Every time I go for a blood test it's no different so they don't change the dosage

And I'm finally being good and excersising at last because I'm fed of hearing myself whinge - lol

I aim to drop at least 2 clothes sizes by July :)
  • me1283
    me1283 Posts: 14
    Options
    Great! Keep it up :)

I just wanted to say that I suffered from hypothyroidism for eight years now. I visit the doctor every few months and get my thyroid hormone levels checked and never skip my medication, but I always felt tired and fatigue. I kept blaming it on the thyroid until someone told me to check my vitamin D. I did and I had VD deficiency. I strongly suggest that you get that checked. Unfortunately, most doctors will not check it unless you ask for it. I've been on supplements for 6 weeks now..and let me tell you HUGE difference in energy.
  • modine43
    modine43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    there is a thyroid group on here, why not join it.
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 4 years ago and i think it contributes to slow weight loss (even if the meds are correct). My mom also has an lost so i know that it's possible! Good luck!!!!
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your levels are consistent it should have no impact on your weight loss. I have been on Synthroid for years, since my radioactive iodine therapy, and I have still managed to lose my weight. Just give it all you've got and at the end of the day just be able to look back at your day and be happy with every food/exercise choice you made for the day. The rest will fall into place.
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I found out two years ago that my thyroid wasn't working and it took almost the full two years to figure out the dosage... but it seems to be working now. I can tell by keeping track. i add up my deficits daily and match it with the scale... if I think I should have lost 3 - 5 pounds and haven't lost anything, I go get my blood work done.

I also can tell because I wake up a lot at night but am always tired and my hair falls out...
  • Dayna_Dax
    Options
    I too am hypothyroidic. I have been all over the chart until i had chemo to destroy it back in '09. I think now im stable. To where my meds are not changing. At one point i was down to 200 lbs. So it is possible that the weight will come off. Just keep working out switching out the routines, n eat all of your calories, n you will succeed. Im here to help you along the way.:glasses:
  • Pengi81
    Pengi81 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

but I always felt tired and fatigue. I kept blaming it on the thyroid until someone told me to check my vitamin D.

That sounds like me - Always feeling tired even though I get the right amount of sleep.

Thanks for the tip :)