Run for Your Lives 5K Zombie Obstacle Course?

Options

Replies

• AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!!!! I have been trying to find a 5K race that makes me want to run my first 5K, and well THIS LOOKS HELLA AWESOME! I can't wait to sign up!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I did it in Baltimore last year. The course was fun and I 'survived' but I think everyone got the same medal. No zombie t-shirt, just a regular technical race tee...kind of disappointing. It was pricey and parking was a nightmare (but I think they're addressing that for this year's race). I'd recommend you get there way early.

Thanks for the info! I'm disappointed it's not a cool t-shirt. Thought it might be the best race shirt ever! Oh well. Would you consider doing it again? Not worth the money?
  • inside_lap
    Options
    I think it might be cheaper to stuff a kilo of mince into your pants and run through a pack of stray dogs but if you want to do it and have the cash spare then treat yourself... to the run not the mince.

LMAO!!

Sounds like there are a lot of people looking at Austin. That's the one I'm considering! Maybe it can be all of ours first!
  • JeanLew
    JeanLew Posts: 11
    Options
    I was a zombie in Atlanta earlier this month. The parking wasn't an issue, we were scared it would be after the one in Baltimore. I didn't run but I'm pretty sure the medals were different if you survived or if you didn't. If you didn't you got the kind I got, a zombie medal. The zombies also got a different shirt than the runners but I'm not sure if they had different ones for surviving or not.

FYI, the zombies can't really chase you that much, not all of them can grab your flags so it's not like an all out free for all. But that being said I was too chicken to run, I think I would have had a heart attack. There is a really good video on youtube from someone who was wearing a video camera thing so you can see what it is like. It was fun for me and my friends who did run!!
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I am trying to talk the wife into doing the one in Baltimore later this year. I dont run much becasue of an ankle injury and she does not have an ACL in one knee, but I figure a slight jog from zombies will be fun. I also think the stories with friends afterwards will be worth it!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the one in Austin, too. Probably won't stay for the "party" after. Seems cool, though!
  • inside_lap
    Options
    I am signing up for the one in Maryland in October. I had a couple of friends who did it last year and they had a BLAST!

This run is the primary motivator for me to start running this winter... I started Couch 2 5K in January and ran my first 5K race today.

Hopefully by October I'll be a lot lighter and a lot faster... gotta stay ahead of the undead.

Ted

Good to know they had fun! Get's me excited!! Hope you have a blast in October as well!
  • inside_lap
    Options
    I was a zombie in Atlanta earlier this month. The parking wasn't an issue, we were scared it would be after the one in Baltimore. I didn't run but I'm pretty sure the medals were different if you survived or if you didn't. If you didn't you got the kind I got, a zombie medal. The zombies also got a different shirt than the runners but I'm not sure if they had different ones for surviving or not.

FYI, the zombies can't really chase you that much, not all of them can grab your flags so it's not like an all out free for all. But that being said I was too chicken to run, I think I would have had a heart attack. There is a really good video on youtube from someone who was wearing a video camera thing so you can see what it is like. It was fun for me and my friends who did run!!

THX! I'll be sure to check it out... someone mentioned the zombie shirts on here... are they cooler?
  • inside_lap
    Options
    I am trying to talk the wife into doing the one in Baltimore later this year. I dont run much becasue of an ankle injury and she does not have an ACL in one knee, but I figure a slight jog from zombies will be fun. I also think the stories with friends afterwards will be worth it!

Good point!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I did it in Baltimore last year. The course was fun and I 'survived' but I think everyone got the same medal. No zombie t-shirt, just a regular technical race tee...kind of disappointing. It was pricey and parking was a nightmare (but I think they're addressing that for this year's race). I'd recommend you get there way early.

Thanks for the info! I'm disappointed it's not a cool t-shirt. Thought it might be the best race shirt ever! Oh well. Would you consider doing it again? Not worth the money?
    I probably wouldn't do it a second time, but to be honest I've never done the same race twice. The price (~$78) and distance (2.5h from my house) are kind of negatives for me for a repeat.
  • JeanLew
    JeanLew Posts: 11
    Options

THX! I'll be sure to check it out... someone mentioned the zombie shirts on here... are they cooler?
    The back of the shirt has the face logo guy in a red blood splat and it says The Zombie Horde and the side chest place area on the front says "I ate your brains at Run For Your Lives" and has the logo face guy in white.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

The back of the shirt has the face logo guy in a red blood splat and it says The Zombie Horde and the side chest place area on the front says "I ate your brains at Run For Your Lives" and has the logo face guy in white.
    One of the (many) big complaints after the b'more race was the lack of a cool race tee. Glad to hear they listened.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Looks like a riot - we need these in Canada!

you're in luck!
    http://www.thezombierace.ca/
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Lol! The zombie shirts sound cool. Wonder what the race shirts say. Probably not as fun as I ate your brains... Lol!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That is the coolest thing I've ever heard of. I would love to do one.
  • jessicaeclark
    Options
    MAke sure to also check out Hero Rush (Herorush.com). It's the Firefighter-themed 5k Obstacle race!
  • inside_lap
    Options
    MAke sure to also check out Hero Rush (Herorush.com). It's the Firefighter-themed 5k Obstacle race!

Thx Jessica! I'll have to check that out!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've done 5K's before but not one this unique. Considering this or training for a 1/2 marathon. Maybe I should try for both! Lol!

All these runner on MFP and no one who knows anyone who's actually done this? :P

I just did one outside of Boston, MA on Saturday and it was fun!! It was completely a muddy mess, so it was really hard to run actually. My shoes kept getting sucked off in the mud! I'd say it's not too physically challenging besides being stuck in the mud, but it's MUCH different than running normally. The obstacles weren't too challenging, either. It did, however, take me like 3 times longer than my normal 5K pace!! Lol! I was completely soaked, muddy, and wet at the end, but I thought the experience was worth it!

I'm also training for a half marathon, and as long as you're running and have some cardio built up, you'd be fine for the Zombie 5K. I was with some people that didn't train at all, and they were half dead and sore by the end LOL.
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was going to do the Zombie run in Indy, but my friend is getting married the same day. Silly June dream weddings...
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am dying to do this, but I want to be a zombie volunteer!!!