Ugh, I hate stevia! Now what?

Options
Truth out: I can't stand artificial sweeteners. They leave a nasty after-taste in my mouth. I've been using agave nectar or honey in place of cane sugar. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eat regular sweeteners. That artificial stuff is horrible for you anyway. Sugar doesn't have that many calories.
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ^agreed! Once I finish these splenda packets im going right back to the real stuff..
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    Brown rice syrup
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Eat regular sweeteners. That artificial stuff is horrible for you anyway. Sugar doesn't have that many calories.

Yep. Just use less. You'll be fine with real sugars.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Truth out: I can't stand artificial sweeteners. They leave a nasty after-taste in my mouth. I've been using agave nectar or honey in place of cane sugar. Any other suggestions?

We use coconut sugar in our house for my husband or organic raw sugar.

The white stuff has been stripped of its nutrients and agave nectar and honey both can contain HFCS if you buy from mainstream stores, such as Wal-mart or grocery stores.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand. Not all stevia is created equal. I like Sweetleaf liquid drops (although my hubby still thinks it's a little bitter.)

I also love pure maple syrup, maple sugar, coconut sugar, molasses and Xagave. I've been wanting to try Lakanto too (body ecology).
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You know what gets us into trouble is not the thing. It's all the things we do to avoid the thing. Eat sugar. Real live normal sugar. The devil is overdoing sugar in all forms. Go with "natural" which sugar is. Today I put sugar in my oatmeal. Big whoop. I feel healthier than when I use chemicals someone made to taste like sweetness, and it tasted good. And my diet overall is not skipping sweet stuff, just using it in a healthy balanced way.

If you skip the artificial for long enough, you will find that you can't stand it. It tastes like something dangerous.
  • Michelledru
    Michelledru Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like Silverspoon sweeteners. I tried Stevia myself and really didn't like it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

This is because you're a super taster like me! It's like tonic water, sweet at first and leaves bitter after taste! yuk!
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    Has anyone tried stevia in plant form? A bunch of leaves in a sun tea jar or something along those lines?
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I only use Wholesome Agave, but be careful which Co. as some brands also add crap to them.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I hate all stevia, except for powdered Kal brand. But, I use that selectively in things with a lot of flavor like hot chocolate. Another sweetener worth considering is erythritol. It isn't as sweet as sugar, but has no calories. ZSweet is the brand I like best. Not good for baking though. Cook's Illustrated magazine did a great article last month on baking with alternative sweeteners. I highly recommend reading that if that's what you hope to do with these sweeteners.

I use agave and maple syrup for occasional uses, but those are calorie-for-calorie the same as granulated sugar.
  • MarkHawks
    MarkHawks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My wife and I try to stay away from Agave and Honey since they are so high on the glycemic scale, of course they a radically better than artificial sweeteners and refined sugar.
    There are several brands of stevia that I hate too, a couple of the good ones are Kal brand powder (comes with a tiny spoon) works good for cooking, like when making sweat potato fries in coconut oil with cinnamon. For drinks I like the sweatleaf brand. They have lots of flavors, the critical part is not to get past a "tipping point". I find it good unless I put in too much, then it tastes bitter. My wife also uses the Kal powder and xylitol for baking, you would never know it wasn't made with sugar. Breads, cookies, muffins mostly with almond flour. Really good for you and great tasting! This type of cooking (getting off man modified foods and back to natural only) along with a few other lifestyle changes has made huge improvements in my wife's multiple sclerosis (anyone want to buy a really good motorized wheelchair? We don't need it anymore!)
  • ChattaChick
    ChattaChick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suggest regular or raw sugar, or (best) local honey. Also, I learned that agave nectar, though it sounds natural, is highly processed juice from agave (a cactus-type plant) that has been heated or chemically treated to convert most of its complex sugar into fructose. Whether from corn or agave, high-fructose syrup is something I choose to avoid.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I use local honey or agave nectar. I like it better than white sugar. It is a tad expensive if you use it for baking though but I can deal with that to have better taasting baked goods.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My wife and I try to stay away from Agave and Honey since they are so high on the glycemic scale, of course they a radically better than artificial sweeteners and refined sugar.
    There are several brands of stevia that I hate too, a couple of the good ones are Kal brand powder (comes with a tiny spoon) works good for cooking, like when making sweat potato fries in coconut oil with cinnamon. For drinks I like the sweatleaf brand. They have lots of flavors, the critical part is not to get past a "tipping point". I find it good unless I put in too much, then it tastes bitter. My wife also uses the Kal powder and xylitol for baking, you would never know it wasn't made with sugar. Breads, cookies, muffins mostly with almond flour. Really good for you and great tasting! This type of cooking (getting off man modified foods and back to natural only) along with a few other lifestyle changes has made huge improvements in my wife's multiple sclerosis (anyone want to buy a really good motorized wheelchair? We don't need it anymore!)

Excellent on the MS. I have had others tell me that diet changes helped.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If sugar a concern of yours, use regular sugar...just start cutting back. Your taste buds will adjust. Trust me. And use fruit in its place sometimes. I use other sweeteners (coconut sugar is the new *hot* thing). But if I'm honest with myself, if you're using a teaspoon of sweetener, it doesn't really matter what it is. But if you're eating a pound of it...well, it also doesn't really matter what it is...that's a lot of sweetener! Cutting back is what you want to do, if that's a concern.

If its the calories that are of concern, pick and choose your battles. Example 1: I've replaced sugar with 1 blended banana in my hot rice cereal. But that's because sugar *is* a concern of mine. If your concern was just calories...well...a banana is about 100 calories. Three teaspoons of sugar is only 45. Calorie wise...the sugar is clearly the winner. It really depends on your goals.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If sugar a concern of yours, use regular sugar...just start cutting back. Your taste buds will adjust. Trust me. And use fruit in its place.

^^^This

I've reduced the Iced Sweet Tea we drink (we do live in the south lol) from 2 cups of sugar per gallon to 1/2 a cup of sugar per gallon. At first I reduced it to 1 cup but found I could take it even lower and still taste the sugar as my taste buds adjusted. I mostly drink water but like to have a little sweet tea on occasion to break it up. I've cut out most artificial sweeteners and I too am not that fond of Stevia.

If I could I would use unrefined sugar like we had in my childhood in the Caribbean but even the stuff that claims to be unrefined in the stores I have nearby is a far cry so I just stick to white sugar for now.
  • loseit4good52
    Options
    XYLITOL...it tastes just like sugar and is actually good for your teeth!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried stevia in plant form? A bunch of leaves in a sun tea jar or something along those lines?

Yes, we did last year. I am good at killing plants so it didn't grow new leaves.