HRM: With strap or strapless?

Im thinking about buying one HRM. but dont know which is better: with or without strap.
What is your opinion?

Replies

• amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    I had one with a strap and it was so uncomfratable when I started sweating that I decided to go with a non strapless one and it is sooo much better,plus with 3 kids I didn't have the money to put out for the extremely expensive ones so I got one at Kmart yesterday and it's a touch screen one and so far it is right on track with my strapped on so I think it's a personal choice some people may think the strapped one is better but for me the strapless was definitely right for me =)
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    I got one with a strap. It is right for me because I don't ever have to stop what I'm doing to take a measurement. It will constantly and consistently measure my heart rate and calories burned without me having to even think about it during my workout.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    strap cause its more accurate!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Strap. The elastic strap around your chest may take a little getting used to but the results are far more accurate.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Strap. The elastic strap around your chest may take a little getting used to but the results are far more accurate.

ditto this ^^^
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    With strap
  • scompton54
    scompton54 Posts: 90 Member
    with strap. I don't find it uncomfortable at all...it sits under my bra and I don't have it super tight..
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Strap! I started with a watch-only HRM and it was so frustrating to have to slow or stop my workout to take a reading, and to do it often because the more readings it gets, the more accurate is should be, right? And often it wouldn't read the first time, causing a longer pause in the action as I stopped to take it again...

I finally bought one with a strap - I got a New Balance N4 with a strap - super comfortable and works great. I press start at the beginning of my workout and forget all about it until I'm finished & press stop. The Polar models are also very popular.

The models with straps tend to cost more, but if you do your homework & figure out which one you want, you can look 'em up on eBay. I found mine for $26, brand new in the box with instructions. They retail for $70 at Target, so that was a huge savings. I'd have saved even more if I'd gone with that in the first place instead of buying the strapless one first. :tongue:
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Definitely go for one with a strap, they're more accurate.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    STRAP!
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Strap! I have both, a Mio that I have to check my pulse rate every few minutes in order for it to average the calories burned, and a Polar FT4 which has the strap and watch...SO much easier to use and much more accurate IMO because it gives you constant readings.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Strap or you will be sorry!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    If you don't get a decent one with a chest strap, save your money and don't even bother.
  • afiraz
    afiraz Posts: 19
    Strap. I am using the Polar FT4.

15335691.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • akay213
    akay213 Posts: 1 Member
    Agreeing with everything said above. I started with a just a watch HRM and I hated having to stop my workout to check my heart rate. Sometimes it was able to pickup my heart rate and sometimes it wasn't. Other times it would take up to a minute to find it.

I just recently purchased a Polar FT4 with strap. It's so much easier. I never have to stop my workout. Because it's a continuous reading, it's more accurate. I don't find it uncomfortable but it did slip a lot in the beginning (I have a narrow torso). Now I place the strap underneath the band of my sports bra except the transmitter.
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    thank you for all the answers
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    I have a HRM in my cell phone, but doesnt measure calories.
    Here there is no polar FT4, only FT2...dont know if it is good...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I have a HRM in my cell phone, but doesnt measure calories.
    Here there is no polar FT4, only FT2...dont know if it is good...
    Look up all the various models on Amazon - Polar, New Balance, etc, and read all the customer reviews. Lots of good information there, too.