Proteins????

Options
What is the difference between meat proteins and whole grains and fruit protein?

Replies

• WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact answer to your question. However, if you eat lean meat protein you will be getting more protein per calorie of the food. If you eat 100 calories worth of filet, the majority of those calories are going to come from protein. If you get your protein from nuts and grains you will also be eating calories from carbohydrates or fats. That isn't bad, it just depends on your goals!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The amino acid profile.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Meat is primarily protein, and most grains and fruit have minimal to no protein.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Meat is primarily protein, and most grains and fruit have minimal to no protein.

Sorry, but this just isn't close to true....
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options

so a 6 oz filet mignon has just as much protein as 6 oz of wheat thins? whatever!!! it is true, MOST fruits and grains have very little protein.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

That wasn't the question...

Yeah, the amino acid profile of the proteins is different, as that's what makes it meat/vs a plant! :)

On a side note, if you get proteins from meat, it's one of the better kinds for us humans as it's similar to ours so useful, also it's easy to get lots of it quickly for the same calories..i.e. a 100g lump of steak is going to have more protein more than likely than 100g of beans! Beans would also contain a lot of starches/carbs and water for that same 100g so you won't get quite as much protein from it. However. Protein and carbs have the same caloric density of about 4kCal/g, Fats 9kCal/g and alcohol about 7kCal/g...

:)
  • packersfn7
    packersfn7 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein.....a bunch of amino acids. The body needs 9 essential amino acids to function. Generally, meat contains all nine amino acids in the amounts we need them. Generally grain and fruit proteins have all nine but not in the amounts we need. But you can easily choose foods that have a higher concentration of amino acids. I am vegetarian and this is very easy for me.
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    From the Harvard School of Public Health, some good info about protein: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/

Quote: "Animal protein and vegetable protein probably have the same effects on health. It's the protein package that's likely to make a difference. A 6-ounce broiled porterhouse steak is a great source of protein—about 40 grams worth. But it also delivers about 38 grams of fat, 14 of them saturated. That's more than 60 percent of the recommended daily intake for saturated fat. The same amount of salmon gives you 34 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat, 4 of them saturated. A cup of cooked lentils has 18 grams of protein, but under 1 gram of fat."
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between meat proteins and whole grains and fruit protein?

Lean meat protein is usually unaccompanied by sugars and usually is low in fats....
    Whole grains and fruit protein is usually accompanied by higher portion of sugars, but relatively little fat...
    Nuts are high in protein, but higher in fat content.
    Fruits and veggies are lower in protein per serving, but come with sugars, though they are also usually low in fat.
    Legumes have all three.

Read labels or check the database to understand better.
  • meerkat70
    Options

so a 6 oz filet mignon has just as much protein as 6 oz of wheat thins? whatever!!! it is true, MOST fruits and grains have very little protein.

Don't be silly. I didn't claim that the protein level was equivalent. I disputed the rather ridiculous suggestion that vegetables and fruits contain 'minimal to no' protein. I imagine in your rush to be scathing you didn't quite grasp what I was taking issue with?
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Don't be silly. I didn't claim that the protein level was equivalent. I disputed the rather ridiculous suggestion that vegetables and fruits contain 'minimal to no' protein. I imagine in your rush to be scathing you didn't quite grasp what I was taking issue with?

My understanding:
    all meat, fish, and poultry have protein
    most fruits have little to no protein
    most legumes and grains have protein in varying amounts per serving
    some vegetables have protein but not as much as legumes, grains, or animal parts

Many many years ago, scientists determined that our bodies need all the amino acids to function well. Because meats have all those amino acids, they were labeled "complete" proteins. Plant-based proteins were labeled "incomplete" because they had to be combined to get all the amino acids in one serving. But you don't have to get all the aminos in every serving, as long as you get them all into your body. Rice & Beans together are "complete," but you can have rice today and beans tomorrow and still be OK, as long as you pay attention to your overall intake.You can be a vegan and get all the protein you need, or you can eat some combination of protein-rich foods and get all you need too. Whatever direction is best for you.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    And all without the help of fillet mignon... :-)