All burned calories are not created equal...?

Options
bluroses
bluroses Posts: 90 Member
Every day, I wear my heart rate monitor while exercising so i can track everything. I do my best to eat those calories (or most of them). This morning, though, I did 45 minutes of yoga with the Wii Fitness Coach program. I saw that, at the end, I had burned 372 calories (which is actually 3 more than I burned doing cardio for the same amount of time yesterday!). I am assuming those calories burned were not fat calories. Should I still try to eat those or not count them in terms of my caloric goal for the day? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Replies

• bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Every day, I wear my heart rate monitor while exercising so i can track everything. I do my best to eat those calories (or most of them). This morning, though, I did 45 minutes of yoga with the Wii Fitness Coach program. I saw that, at the end, I had burned 372 calories (which is actually 3 more than I burned doing cardio for the same amount of time yesterday!). I am assuming those calories burned were not fat calories. Should I still try to eat those or not count them in terms of my caloric goal for the day? Thanks in advance for any insight!
  • alligator1970
    Options
    I woudl count them..

209247.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Energy used, is energy used. Just like gas in a car....doesn't matter if it's premium or not, it still gets burnt.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If my HRM says I've burned a calorie doing ANY exercise, I count it. A calorie burned is a calorie burned.....(at least I choose to tell myself until someone proves me wrong) :tongue:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Energy used, is energy used. Just like gas in a car....doesn't matter if it's premium or not, it still gets burnt.

Great analogy! I'll remember that!
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    "I am assuming those calories burned were not fat calories. Should I still try to eat those or not count them in terms of my caloric goal for the day? Thanks in advance for any insight! "

As for "fat calories" being burned I'd look at it from the other end. If you consume a lot of your daily calories by eating high fat foods, the odds are you won't be burning any of your stored fat when you exercise. If you follow the guidelines in your calorie counter for numbers of calories and for types of food consumed (carbohydrates, fat, and protein) you will lose the weight and the fat will burn off.

I wnet from over 20% body fat to 15% at last measurement by exercising regularly and using the my fitness pal calorie counter, I also lost 32 pounds.

If you are exercising, especially resitance training, and building lean muscle your metabolism will burn calories at a higher rate. Combine that with a restricted calorie intake and aerobic activity and you are pretty mucg guaranteed to lose the weight you want to.