Getting a bit discouraged.

Options
I'm getting a little discouraged. I try to only weigh myself once a week, but I slipped up today and weighed myself a day early. The scale said I weigh almost a pound more than last week. I've lost 7 pounds so far since I've started myfitnesspal. I am doing everything right, exercising like crazy everyday, sticking to my calorie goals, trying to stay active. I know that the number on the scale is just one way of measuring your progress, but it sure gets depressing when the numbers don't change. I know that my sodium intake is usually too high, so I'm thinking that could be causing me to retain water. But, I could really use some encouragement about now. :)

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Read thread THROW OUT THAT DAM SCALE!
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a little discouraged. I try to only weigh myself once a week, but I slipped up today and weighed myself a day early. The scale said I weigh almost a pound more than last week. I've lost 7 pounds so far since I've started myfitnesspal. I am doing everything right, exercising like crazy everyday, sticking to my calorie goals, trying to stay active. I know that the number on the scale is just one way of measuring your progress, but it sure gets depressing when the numbers don't change. I know that my sodium intake is usually too high, so I'm thinking that could be causing me to retain water. But, I could really use some encouragement about now. :)

Throw away the scale! Put it out of sight, where it won't even tempt you. I've felt SO much better ever since I got rid of mine. I've been losing inches, but not lbs. However, I'm fitting into clothes that I wore when I was 10 lbs lighter. Inches really do matter more than the number on the scale. Are you measuring yourself, or taking pictures to track your progress?

You said it yourself: you're doing everything right. Don't worry about it! Just keep going and you'll get there eventually. :)
  • roseeerickson
    roseeerickson Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am measuring myself every 10 days -- my next measuring day is the 21st. I do feel a difference in my body-- it feels tighter, smaller and stronger -- so I will just try to focus on that instead of the numbers on the scale. Thanks guys. :)
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It may be because you are losing fat and gaining muscle changing your body composition but not your overall weight. Keep it up! =)
  • AshleyMoe86
    Options
    I have the same problem, I get discouraged when the scale doesn't show a weight loss but i can tell in my body that i'm losing inches. I am just trying to stay away from the scale and remind myself that as long as i'm losing inches i'm making progress. Stay away from the scale as much as you can and keep doing what you are doing, you'll be just fine! The number really isn't that important as long as you are losing inches and can tell in your clothes, that's success! Be proud!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Break up with your scale for a while. Put it in the back of the closet, basement, garage, whatever...

and if you think you are eating too much sodium, drink some water...flush it right back out!
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hugs. My scale didn't show a loss yesterday. I was mad and sad. But I feel healthier and know I am working out a lot more and eating better so I am going with that. Hang in there.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was just reading your post and thought this might be helpful. Sometimes we have weight flucatations due to various body functions and this may be part of your trouble. Another thing is did you weigh in the same clothes?? This can make a huge difference. I weighed in denim one day and the next day in a cotton outfit and it m ade a huge difference!! I usually quote this bible scripture to lift me up when things are not going as well as I wanted them to! Let us not be weary in well doing for we shall reap if we faint not!! Hope this helps you !! Have a great day!
  • la8dcruz
    la8dcruz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    HEY!!! Remember that muscle weighs more than fat... don't worry about the numbers on the scale, look at the numbers on your frame. If you're measuring yourself and you see that you are getting smaller or that you are getting tighter... than you are accomplishing what you want. I always go by how my clothes fit and how I feel when I get to go shopping & see that I'm a size down or the clothes are fitting a lot more comfortable. :smile:
    Keep up the great work.......Don't be too hard on yourself
  • blpannmarie
    Options
    You could be on the right track in regard to the sodium. I know when I started monitoring my sodium and grain intake and started seriously cutting both back it helped me drop weight quickly. So use MFP to check out your sodium and carb intake and see if that helps.