More females than males in MFP? Could it be?

Options

Replies

• Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    We guys don`t have a TOM so we have a lot less to talk about. :smile:

smiley-scared003.gif

Good thing you hid under that chair....I'm having a bad day and bringing that butthead TOM into the discussion just isn't nice! Lol
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i think more women TALK about it to each other, where as I think men (who I know) tend to think about it and do it their own way, without being public about it

i think talking to other ppl is great, helps me to get some info and ask questions, and means other ppl have the chance to see if they fancy any meals i'm eating - i'm not a big exercise person, so im trying to get my portion sizes under control before jumping into the gym
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    plenty guy friends on my list are amazing, lost a lot of weight. :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    In real life the ratio of men to women is naturally 49 to 51 around the world (except in China). There are naturally more women than men.

Besides that, I believe there is more pressure for women to be thin and beautiful while there is more pressure for men to have big wallets. That is probably one reason why degree programs which "get people high paying jobs" are usually dominated by men (ex. engineering, business, etc).

Thus, it does not surprise me that MFP reflects regular society.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    well, since weight itself dont discriminate, I dont think we, as species should be discriminating the weight-loss methods based on gender either. However, I have noticed that there are far more females than males on MFP. Heck my friends list is about 2/3 females...

That's cause you're a player riz!! And that's why all us gals luv ya!!
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i agree with her that woman do it more. i mean hey- WW didn't get a male weight watchers spokesperson till this year with Shaq & in his commercial he even says to men they shouldn't be embarrassed to do WW. Many men definitely diet, calorie count, exercise though.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am willing to take a bet that there are more women... however.. I think its because as a guy we are allowed more leeway. As a 6 foot tall male i've had family members tell me I dont need to lose any more weight at 205. (Which is still considered over weight for BMI). I am 190 right now and by my waist measure says I could still stand to lose more. I could have easily just said... blah... 205 is fine and I doubt anyone would think I needed to lose more weight. However, i think our society is a LOT less forgiving to women... I doubt a woman could be 30 pounds over their ideal weight and hear "don't lose any more.. youre fine where you are".
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have nothing of value to contribute to your topic, but I just wanted to say....

Your signature...

Me gusta.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    sandwichm.jpg

there is no doubt who is in control on mfp. the sooner you conform the better. :grumble:
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So, my girlfriend has said that calorie counting, fitness logging, and just general good eating habits online is a habit suited for women. Saying that -usually- men don't focus so much on things like this. We had a light playful debate, but I am still not able to convince her that calorie counting stuff is unisex and not just for females. I dont think that I am wrong, because watching what youre eating and focusing on making your body healthier is something everyone can benifit from. So I am really looking for all the guys on MFP, whether watching what youre eating to loose weight, maintaining weight, or building muscle, to stand up and show her that its not just a girl thing.

If I am wrong, I guess I am just gonna have to get myself a beer and burger and watch football or something of that nature until I get heart disease...

Burgers and beers......those were the days *sigh*
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    So, my girlfriend has said that calorie counting, fitness logging, and just general good eating habits online is a habit suited for women. Saying that -usually- men don't focus so much on things like this. We had a light playful debate, but I am still not able to convince her that calorie counting stuff is unisex and not just for females. I dont think that I am wrong, because watching what youre eating and focusing on making your body healthier is something everyone can benifit from. So I am really looking for all the guys on MFP, whether watching what youre eating to loose weight, maintaining weight, or building muscle, to stand up and show her that its not just a girl thing.

If I am wrong, I guess I am just gonna have to get myself a beer and burger and watch football or something of that nature until I get heart disease...

Burgers and beers......those were the days *sigh*

oh god I know.. I havent had a burger grace my lips in the longest time.. feels like forever...
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think she is partly right...lol

Women tend to be more obsessed with their weight on average than men. Our bodies tend to gain more fat naturally because of our hormones and pregnancies... That being said, there are quite a number of men on MFP too and I think there is nothing wrong with logging your food! It is the right thing to do and will help you achieve your goals.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Seriously...I think there many more women on MFP....but I think the program is appropriate for men and women. So, as much as I hate to disagree with a woman..I think you're right.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Tell her she's right. And tell her you're a lesbian trapped in a man's body.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Tell her she's right. And tell her you're a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

but.. wouldnt saying I am a lesbian trapped in a man's body mean that I would also prefer to have a different "set" below the belt? I like my current "set" and wouldnt want to trade it for the other "set"

..or have I thought too much into this..
  • nursedb
    nursedb Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This has been really funny to read as well as informative...lol Def more women than men on here!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    they are over at bodybuilding.com.
  • tenas
    tenas Posts: 121
    Options

For me it's either do all this calorie counting stuff or prepare for an early death.... I know my choice.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Do a search on Find Members, and search by Gender.

That will actually give you numbers.

Edited to note: You will actually have to do a bit of math, however. But you can estimate by how many pages of each gender there are.

Ok, because I'm a total geek, I had to check this out... and unless there is only 1000 people (split 50/50 between gender), this ain't gonna work... :wink:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In an regards... I agree, this site is for both men and woman.... I don't remember seeing any studies that said only women benefit from food journaling...