10 months & 1 baby later....

Options
GinaB30
GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
I'm back! =o)

I gained 15 lbs while pregnant and lost 25 in two weeks (breastfeeding is my friend!)...

I have a ???

Now that the baby is OUT and I am breastfeeding, does any one know how many calories a nursing mom needs?

Or where I can find that info out for my height/weight/etc??

I want to start walking and getting on the elliptical but I want to make sure that I am eating enough calories to keep up the milk supply. =o)

I still have a good 40 lbs to lose but I think I'd look good with just 20 lbs one (I'm tallish!...5'8)....

Thanks!! =o)

Replies

• GinaB30
    Options
    I'm back! =o)

I gained 15 lbs while pregnant and lost 25 in two weeks (breastfeeding is my friend!)...

I have a ???

Now that the baby is OUT and I am breastfeeding, does any one know how many calories a nursing mom needs?

Or where I can find that info out for my height/weight/etc??

I want to start walking and getting on the elliptical but I want to make sure that I am eating enough calories to keep up the milk supply. =o)

I still have a good 40 lbs to lose but I think I'd look good with just 20 lbs one (I'm tallish!...5'8)....

Thanks!! =o)
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    The range I have found on most nursing websites say an additional 300-750 calories are needed for nursing moms a day. You'll have to play with it to see what works for you but most importantly is to eat when hungry and to make sure you're eating very high quality foods and not a bunch of crap. 400 calories of cookies are much different than 400 calories of fruit, veggies and cheese! They also suggest that the more fat stores you have, the less additional calories you should be taking in. So, if you started out overweight and you gained a little bit of padding, you probably don't need the maximum 750 extra calories. But if you're like me, I was always STARVING! I was eating more when nursing than when I was pregnant and it didn't stop for three weeks after I stopped nursing!!!

Congrats on the baby and the current weight loss!!!
  • GinaB30
    Options
    Yeah that's the thing: I am starved ALL the time! lol

I've been drinking lots of water though and as of TODAY I am trying to eat much healthier things when I AM eating.
    Eating a bunch of junk just because it's fast and easy is not going to help me!
    I'll probably stick to some where around the extra 400 calories for a bit and see how that goes....I can always adjust it!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good to see you! Congrats on your beautiful baby and your healthy pregnancy!
    MM
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about the breastfeeding calories but I just had to tell you how GORGEOUS your baby is!!!!:love: Congrats!:flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    not sure about the calories either - maybe check with your doctor or the pediatrician...some docs have no clue about nutrition - that's not what they are trained in.

B..E..A..UTIFUL baby!!!
  • pitchaya
    pitchaya Posts: 25
    Options
    How do you loss 25 pounds in 2 weeks I try like 3 months and I didn't loss anything?!!!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the little one :flowerforyou: I don't know much about the mom thing. I'd do a google search on it. Or ummmmmm I forgot what that site was but I sent the link to Tami I think it's babyfit.com???? Great to have ya back. The baby is adorable :love: :flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    Options
    The weight drops off after giving birth lol

Chloe Renee weighed 7lbs 1 oz =o)
  • GinaB30
    Options
    Congrats on the little one :flowerforyou: I don't know much about the mom thing. I'd do a google search on it. Or ummmmmm I forgot what that site was but I sent the link to Tami I think it's babyfit.com???? Great to have ya back. The baby is adorable :love: :flowerforyou:

=o))

Good to be back!!
  • nikos1mom
    nikos1mom Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey! congrats!! I have a 10 month old and am still nursing, and the weight is still coming off!! the answer to your questions, and any other nursing questions is on kellymom.com. Check it out... it's a great website!!:flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Hey Mamapants!!! Same boat here! Just gave birth to my second little boy April 1, 2009. Only I gained a whopping 53lbs!!! Haha! Oops! I have already dropped 28lbs, but need to lose 32 more to get back to my "original" weight pre-baby 1.

I was told to take in an extra 600 calories a day while breast feeding (which I am also doing). I do not go by that though... I have just been eating healthy and DEFINITELY exercising. I plan to incorporate strength training this week... other than that I have been walking my neighborhood! I try to make very healthy eating choices and STOP eating when I am full. It has been working so far. I eat things like lean meats, veggies, fruits, FF milk, FF & LF dairy, whole wheat/grain breads and pastas (but I don't have more than two servings of breads per day). My philosophy is high fiber/protein and low fat... the protein and fiber keep me full. Cutting the fat intake helps me lose the pounds. Anyway, after that long message 600 extra cals is what I have been told for breast feeding moms.

By the way, don't you just love nursing??? I love it! I feel it's the best way to bond with the baby - NO ONE else can do it so it make it that much more special for mom and baby.

Congrats on your sweet little girl! She's precious! I love the name Chloe! :flowerforyou:

:heart: Kris
  • kellch
    Options
    The weight drops off after giving birth lol

Chloe Renee weighed 7lbs 1 oz =o)

My neice's name is Chloe...cute :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    Options
    Hey Mamapants!!! Same boat here! Just gave birth to my second little boy April 1, 2009. Only I gained a whopping 53lbs!!! Haha! Oops! I have already dropped 28lbs, but need to lose 32 more to get back to my "original" weight pre-baby 1.

I was told to take in an extra 600 calories a day while breast feeding (which I am also doing). I do not go by that though... I have just been eating healthy and DEFINITELY exercising. I plan to incorporate strength training this week... other than that I have been walking my neighborhood! I try to make very healthy eating choices and STOP eating when I am full. It has been working so far. I eat things like lean meats, veggies, fruits, FF milk, FF & LF dairy, whole wheat/grain breads and pastas (but I don't have more than two servings of breads per day). My philosophy is high fiber/protein and low fat... the protein and fiber keep me full. Cutting the fat intake helps me lose the pounds. Anyway, after that long message 600 extra cals is what I have been told for breast feeding moms.

By the way, don't you just love nursing??? I love it! I feel it's the best way to bond with the baby - NO ONE else can do it so it make it that much more special for mom and baby.

Congrats on your sweet little girl! She's precious! I love the name Chloe! :flowerforyou:

:heart: Kris

Congrats Kris :flowerforyou:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    no nursing advice either---but chloe renee is just so pretty! and your other 2 are cute, too!

congratulations on a beautiful family:flowerforyou: