HELP! I need to cut down my minute-miles!

Options
Does anyone have any tips for cutting down running time? My average minute mile is *REALLY* slow (about an 11.25m/m) regardless of the distance (3 miles or 11 miles--11 being the longest run I've done)
In races I average about a 10.40m/m.
I know I'll never be a fast runner, I would just like a consistent 10 or 9.45.
Any tips??
Oh yeah I've been running for about 10 months now and primarily run outside, I have an 8k coming up on the 3/25 and any info will be greatly appreciated!
Oh and I occasionally on the treadmill, although I tried and avoid them.

Thanks!
L

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The only thing I know is to keep running. I used to train primarily for running, but now I have *kitten* for endurance. If you have a good running base then you could try intervals or the less stringent Fartlek training.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Intervals help me :wink:
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Speed or track workouts are the best thing for increasing your mile times...

Yasso 800s have worked VERY well for me in the past........

Basically, these consist of running 800m intervals at a speed that has you breathing quite heavily and unable to carry on a conversation (or even spit out a complete sentence), and then following each repeat by an 800m recovery interval (either slow jogging or walking).

Start with trying to do 2-3 repeats (so 800m hard, followed by 800m easy; 2-3 times), and build up to 10 repeats......But don't forget to include an easy warm-up, and a cool down! These workouts are EXTREMELY taxing, physically, and typically if you feel that you're going to throw up, then you're doing them right! lol They're not enjoyable, but they're incredibly effective!!!

You'll be amazed at how quickly your speed will increase!
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C25K on the treadmill. The first time I ran it just to see if I could get to 3 miles. I did running 12 minute miles. I am now on my second trial of C25K, and I started by running the minute at 7 mph, then walk at a normal pace. I just finished week 3 of C25K, and am running 3 minutes at 6.7 mph (9mile/minute) pace. My goal is to run a 5K in under 30 minutes. It seems to be working, as I would not have believed I could run at 7mph at all anymore. This is what I am trying. I don't run outside much, because my mind wanders and I keep slowing down.
  • rhinojoe
    rhinojoe Posts: 21
    Options
    Lengthen your stride.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    research some interval programs, i have found interval sessions a great way to improve my pace. Mine are usually 20 or 30 minutes long, alternating between 1 minute walk/slow jog, and 1 minute full sprint. 30 secs at your maximum speed might be a good starting point.
    also focus on your pace. shorter, quicker strides are more efficient and prevent injury. in my last couple of 'steady runs' (non intervals) i have aimed for 180 steps per minute . take a look at this site : http://www.nomeatathlete.com/180-steps-per-minute/

it sounds like a lot of steps per minute but it's something to aim for that could possibly improve your pace and your technique.

and best of luck with your race!!!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Basically, these consist of running 800m intervals at a speed that has you breathing quite heavily and unable to carry on a conversation (or even spit out a complete sentence), and then following each repeat by an 800m recovery interval (either slow jogging or walking).

Start with trying to do 2-3 repeats (so 800m hard, followed by 800m easy; 2-3 times), and build up to 10 repeats......But don't forget to include an easy warm-up, and a cool down! These workouts are EXTREMELY taxing, physically, and typically if you feel that you're going to throw up, then you're doing them right! lol They're not enjoyable, but they're incredibly effective!!!

This^ Speed intervals Work well to build Leg strength and converts that to fast speed
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    research some interval programs, i have found interval sessions a great way to improve my pace. Mine are usually 20 or 30 minutes long, alternating between 1 minute walk/slow jog, and 1 minute full sprint. 30 secs at your maximum speed might be a good starting point.
    also focus on your pace. shorter, quicker strides are more efficient and prevent injury. in my last couple of 'steady runs' (non intervals) i have aimed for 180 steps per minute . take a look at this site : http://www.nomeatathlete.com/180-steps-per-minute/

it sounds like a lot of steps per minute but it's something to aim for that could possibly improve your pace and your technique.

and best of luck with your race!!!

Thanks!
    Yeah I have tried running with a higher cadence and more on my toes then the long, heel strike strides I started out doing when I began.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options

thanks, i will try this out!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    T......... but now I have *kitten* for endurance. ............

TMI :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I went from only running to adding strength two nights a week and also added in cardio cross-train days I saw my pace increase steadily. I went from averaging 10:30 min miles to 9:30 minute miles in just under two months.

I lost a lot of that pacing from being off my workout schedule combined with being sick for awhile at the end of last year/beginning of this year. But I'm back on a similar schedule again and seeing my pace improving the same as it did last time.

I got back on schedule Jan 31st and was back at 11min miles again. But now I'm running 10min miles on my long runs (last one was 11.5 miles) and did 9:45 for a short three miles last night. (though, I know I could have gone faster, but it was my very first run since last October without a compression wrap on my thigh from a skating fall and didn't want to push it too hard)

My schedule is:
    Sunday - long run
    Monday - strength, about an hour of combined upper and lower body
    Tuesday - mid-length run, usually about half of Sunday's length
    Wednesday - hill work (my half is hilly, this used to be a cross train night)
    Thursday - strength (same as Mon) and a three mile run.
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - cross train day (I usually do 45-60 min on the ARC trainer)

I varied it this week and split my Thursday onto two nights simply because I was literally falling asleep after I finished my strength workout and didn't want to risk injury from running while exhausted.

I see steady pace improvements week over week on my long runs following this plan. And I've had no overuse injuries or strains since starting it (I'd been plagued with them before).
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Agreed with wolf above....

I added Squatting/ leg presses to my Strength workouts and the Speed intrevals, and in 8 weeks my speed per mile has dropped considerbly from a dreaded 13:00 min/mile to just over 9 mins (9:14 per)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for cutting down running time? My average minute mile is *REALLY* slow (about an 11.25m/m) regardless of the distance (3 miles or 11 miles--11 being the longest run I've done)
    In races I average about a 10.40m/m.
    I know I'll never be a fast runner, I would just like a consistent 10 or 9.45.
    Any tips??
    Oh yeah I've been running for about 10 months now and primarily run outside, I have an 8k coming up on the 3/25 and any info will be greatly appreciated!
    Oh and I occasionally on the treadmill, although I tried and avoid them.

Thanks!
    L

I'd be inclined to worry about endurance before speed. At 10 months you're still building your base.

When you are ready to work on speed; intervals (do you live close to a HS with a track? doing fast 400s is one way), fartleks (funny word - has nothing to do with beans; it's Swedish for "speed play" and is a form of interval training where you'll go from an easy jog to full blown anaerobic and everything in between) , hills (I hate hills, but they work)
    Lengthen your stride.

Bad advice. Longer stride = heel striking (bad form and it actually slows you down a bit unless you're a very moderate heel striker)

Shorter stride (midfoot strike) and faster turnover = good form
  • TakeMyTai
    TakeMyTai Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Intervals are an AMAZING way to reduce run time, simply because you can experiment with your stride. I would recommend starting with a 30/60 - 30 seconds running and 60 seconds speed walking to keep up the cardio but allows you to catch your breath. Then after a few weeks of doing this or if you feel comfortable sooner, bump it up to 60/120's. From there, 100 meter dead sprints. For 100 meter sprints, try and time your sets. For the first one, try and keep your following sprints under the time of the first. That really pushes you to try and overcome tiredness. It's hard, but very effective. Took my 9:30 M/Mile down to 8:50 M/Mile
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    speed isn't what counts, keeping with it is the vital thing. Don't beat yourself up about it.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If your pace for 3 and 11 miles is the same then you already have the ability to run faster, at least for 3 miles.  You just need to stride faster and longer.  You also need to accept that there will be discomfort involved.  

Next time you go out for a three mile run just try to run faster.  When it becomes uncomfortable, then zip up the man suit and keep going.

To get your body accustomed to a faster pace you can do speed and strength work twice a week.  Right now you would probably benefit most from these.

Hill sprints - find the steepest hill you can find and sprint as fast as you possibly can up it for 8 to 12 seconds.  Then walk back down and do it again after you have recovered.  Start out with just a couple of repetitions at 8 seconds.  Each week increase until you are doing 10 to 12 reps at 10 to 12 seconds.  Do this twice a week at the end of an easy run.  Builds leg strength and stride power.  Also helps make you injury proof.  

Hill repeats - find a really steep hill and run up it at race/ very hard pace for 90 sec to 2 min.  Jog back down and repeat for 8 to 12 reps.  No more than once a week.  Makes your legs strong so you will benefit from hard intervals later.  Strong legs will also make you faster and since it is hard your body will get used to running at great discomfort.  

Tempo run - 20 to 30 min at a hard but sustainable pace.  Probably right now this is around 10 min/mi.  Trains your body to handle the lactic acid produced at faster paces.  After a few weeks you will be able to run faster with less discomfort.  Increase the pace as you are able to.

Fartleks - during any run pick up the pace for a few hundred meters and then slow down to recover.  Do as many reps as you want during the run.

Strides - at the end of any run do a few 100 meter sprints.  Not all out but fast and under control.  Teaches your legs to move faster.

Also, increase your total volume of easy running as you are able. This will continue to increase your aerobic capacity which is the #1 thing needed to run fast over any distance over about 800 meters.

Also recommend you read this: http://mcmillanrunning.com/articles "McMillan's Six-Step Training System".  That is everything you need to know about running training in a condensed form.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start doing fartleks. those really help
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    If your pace for 3 and 11 miles is the same then you already have the ability to run faster, at least for 3 miles.  You just need to stride faster and longer.  You also need to accept that there will be discomfort involved.  

Next time you go out for a three mile run just try to run faster.  When it becomes uncomfortable, then zip up the man suit and keep going.

To get your body accustomed to a faster pace you can do speed and strength work twice a week.  Right now you would probably benefit most from these.

Hill sprints - find the steepest hill you can find and sprint as fast as you possibly can up it for 8 to 12 seconds.  Then walk back down and do it again after you have recovered.  Start out with just a couple of repetitions at 8 seconds.  Each week increase until you are doing 10 to 12 reps at 10 to 12 seconds.  Do this twice a week at the end of an easy run.  Builds leg strength and stride power.  Also helps make you injury proof.  

Hill repeats - find a really steep hill and run up it at race/ very hard pace for 90 sec to 2 min.  Jog back down and repeat for 8 to 12 reps.  No more than once a week.  Makes your legs strong so you will benefit from hard intervals later.  Strong legs will also make you faster and since it is hard your body will get used to running at great discomfort.  

Tempo run - 20 to 30 min at a hard but sustainable pace.  Probably right now this is around 10 min/mi.  Trains your body to handle the lactic acid produced at faster paces.  After a few weeks you will be able to run faster with less discomfort.  Increase the pace as you are able to.

Fartleks - during any run pick up the pace for a few hundred meters and then slow down to recover.  Do as many reps as you want during the run.

Strides - at the end of any run do a few 100 meter sprints.  Not all out but fast and under control.  Teaches your legs to move faster.

Also, increase your total volume of easy running as you are able. This will continue to increase your aerobic capacity which is the #1 thing needed to run fast over any distance over about 800 meters.

Also recommend you read this: http://mcmillanrunning.com/articles "McMillan's Six-Step Training System".  That is everything you need to know about running training in a condensed form.

AMEN!!!!
    "Zip up the man suit" I love it. Yes speed training it's going to be uncomfortable but nothing worth attaining is easy!

I logged on to give some input but everything you need to know is right here.

Good luck