Eating your exercise calories.

Ive seen different responses about this. I've been losing steadily. My calories is set to 1200, then I usually exercise and burn anywhere from 150-400 or more. Obviously I make sure I eat at least 1200. And on days when I don't exercise (just one a week, for rest) I eat probably about 1250 or 1300 at most. On the days I exercise I usually eat the majority of my burned calories. I leave 50-100 there but eat the rest because I know I need to keep my body working properly so that it can lose. Does this sound correct and healthy?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Yes, especially when your target net intake is set fairly low.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    It sounds reasonable enough to me, and if you have been losing steadily ... well, don't fix what's not broken. Wait until (and if) you hit a plateau to do that :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    It's been scientifically proven that exercise calories taste better.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Go to "Message Boards" "Home" then search for "eating exercise calories" there are 50 pages of posts there on this very subject.
  • BUMP
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member

True story.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    eating back exercise calories can backfire if you over-estimate calories burned during exercise.
    Unless you have a HRM that tells you calories burned. I need to get one - does anyone know if HRM can ever be wrong??
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member

Natch.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    eating back exercise calories can backfire if you over-estimate calories burned during exercise.
    Unless you have a HRM that tells you calories burned. I need to get one - does anyone know if HRM can ever be wrong??

While I 100% agree w/you that it can backfire, if she's losing steadily it sounds like she's not too far off.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

True story.

This. And they make you sexier.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    I stick to 1200 calories a day, and sometimes eat them back depending on how I feel. If I'm hungry I'll eat them but if I'm not feeling hungry I don't.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    :noway:

This is one of those necrophiliac equine flagellation topics.......

People are split on this and from every 4 people responding you will get 1 who says do, 1 who says don't, 1 who says eat some of them and 1 who posts something like this which doesn't assist you with your query at all
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    I try not to eat them back as non exercise days I eat over my goal
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member

True story.

This. And they make you sexier.

this is why I try to eat so many of them. I need the help.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    If I didn't eat mine I would quit. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm