Running above max heart limit /FT4

Options
janeosu
janeosu Posts: 140 Member
I just started using a Polar FT4 yesterday. I've been easing myself back into running and today I ran about 3 miles and my FT4 was beeping like crazy because for much of the run I was above my heart rate zone limits. The thing is, I didn't feel overly winded or that I was doing too much too fast. I've been running for most of my life since I was 12 and I felt like I always do after not being out there on the road for awhile :) I was actually slowing myself down to get back in my" zone". How concerned should I be about staying in the limits? Also, how do I know if these limits are the right numbers for ME?

Replies

• janeosu
    Options
    BUMP
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The heart rate limit on there is really just a suggestion of about where it starts to not really be "worth it" to push yourself harder. so if your limit is 160 you won't see much more of a benefit in calories burned to push to 170.

However it could also be that you have a higher max heart rate. I think I might since my max heart rate should be around 200 for the formulas they give and I hit 191 during a harder c25k run last week.... If 200 was really my max I would think I would feel about ready to pass out at 191... no idea how to really tell for sure that my max is higher though.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I just got a HRM a few weeks ago. I am currently training for a half marathon and thought I'd check out how my heart rate is during training.

Mine also shoots up and I am doing a long slow run...not winded in the least bit and mine is over my limit too.

I posed this question and have seen others post too.

My conclusion is that some folks run high. Also because of this, I burn more calories than the MFP calculations or my run keeper or any online tools.

I do want to get a Vo2 max test done to determine what my true zones should be.
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    I wish mine did this. Mine runs way low. I checked it vs my treadmill HRM. I did one mile as fast as I could, 6:38 pace (during long runs I am way slower like 8:30 pace so that is fast for me, LOL). I was sucking wind by the time I was done. Treadmill HRM had me in the low 200's and that felt about right, Polar FT4 had me in the mid 160's! No way! This has been a constant problem w/my HRM giving me low readings and I've set it correctly and wet the strap, etc. I really think those are just guidelines and have found I can go more by how I feel then what the HRM says.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I never manage to run in my "Fat burning Zone". I just do what I gotta do and it beeps at me from time to time when I am "Over" my max HR. I have a 50 for my resting rate but I think my max is more then 195 which is what it calculates for me. All my runs I average 167( on a really lazy day) to 187 (on a harder day). I dont set it to beep for target zones because I love running and know what feels good. My HRM does not. I get up to 192-198 almost every run and haven't keeled over yet!

exercise.png
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I just started using a Polar FT4 yesterday. I've been easing myself back into running and today I ran about 3 miles and my FT4 was beeping like crazy because for much of the run I was above my heart rate zone limits. The thing is, I didn't feel overly winded or that I was doing too much too fast. I've been running for most of my life since I was 12 and I felt like I always do after not being out there on the road for awhile :) I was actually slowing myself down to get back in my" zone". How concerned should I be about staying in the limits? Also, how do I know if these limits are the right numbers for ME?

Basically these are questions for you to answer.
    First, why are you training in your zones, and why do you have beepers set? Are you specifically doing zone training? What do you hope to accomplish from zone training? And will you miss your training goals if you turn off the alarms and just run?

Second, have you worked on actually figuring out your zones? HR Zones are not set in stone things - like state lines or 10 commandments. Everybody's bodies are different, so everybody will have different zones. Even people of the same age, size, etc will differ, sometimes wildly. Turning on your new HRM and thinking to yourself, "I'm zone training, baby!" loses this fact. You're going to have to put down the charts, turn off your HRM's plugged in zone system, and figure yourself out. Once you do that, then you can program your HRM to reflect YOU, vs/ reflecting some meaningless number programmed in at the factory. There are ways for figuring this out, that won't be fun or easy. You can find them online, or there are fitness companies that can help you with this.

I hope this helps. I'm not trying to flippant, or snobbish. Getting the hang of HRM's, and zones, and zone training, and all that other stuff can be a confusing intimidating pain in the tuckus. And sometimes, it's simply not worth the effort. (Although sometimes it is.) I wish you well figuring it all out, and deciding what's best for you.
  • bchmura
    bchmura Posts: 18
    Options

The calculations for my max heart rate show 181, and my polar shows me above the zone at 151, which is the end of the easy zone, you can do more. I think it is just recommending that i am doing more than I really need to. I am typically running at more than 150 but not too much more on a normal jog - maybe 160 on an uphill.

I also have an FT4... You can turn off the beep :)
  • janeosu
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I got the hrm mainly to get an idea of calories burned. I have no problem turning the alarms off and just running, but just wanted some insight. I've never been worried about zone training, but hey I'm a nurse so when an alarm goes off - I wonder why :)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I really don't focus too much on "zones" with my heart rate, because I've noticed that my average heart rate during runs is WAY higher than it "should be", according to the guides using mathematical calculations. My average for a really easy run is around 175, and for a more moderate run, it's always about 180. The last run I did where I was working at past a 5K pace for speed, it was 185-190 for the entire last mile, which should be really pushing my apparent "max", but I really didn't feel like I was dying; it was hard, but nothing like I know I would be feeling if I were approaching my actual max zone.

I just like to keep my heart rate as a guide, and a reference, but otherwise, I don't use the zones they recommend, because until the day I can figure out my own VO2 max and other factors, I can't rely completely on the norms that the HRM uses.
  • janeosu
    Options
    Thanks, I would love to know my actual limits too just for fun :) I turned my alarms off today and did some serious intervals. It was great!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've long since started ignoring the "zones" in my HRM and run on perceived effort and pace (one of the nifty things about a Garmin) - today was my long slow run so my main goal was to keep it between 6:30 and 6:40 per km. My average HR was in the mid 150s but PE was medium effort.

Most of the HRMs use 220-your age as your max HR and base all of the zones around that. To get a really accurate idea of you max HR you need to have a stress test done (and be ready for some humiliation as they crank up the incline on the treadmill :laugh: :laugh: )
  • janeosu
    Options
    I've long since started ignoring the "zones" in my HRM and run on perceived effort and pace (one of the nifty things about a Garmin) - today was my long slow run so my main goal was to keep it between 6:30 and 6:40 per km. My average HR was in the mid 150s but PE was medium effort.

Most of the HRMs use 220-your age as your max HR and base all of the zones around that. To get a really accurate idea of you max HR you need to have a stress test done (and be ready for some humiliation as they crank up the incline on the treadmill :laugh: :laugh: )

Hopefully I won't be needing a stress test anytime soon, but it would be nice to know the results! That's nice that you can measure pace/effort. I like that. Might have to get something like that someday!