The ever hungry feeling.

Hey guys. I have been on myfitnesspal everyday for the last four days, trying to follow my diet as strict as I can. And I am so often hungry... do you have any tips, kinds of food, that will make me feel less hungry? Or will this sensation fade away as the days go by? I am so tired of being hungry.

Replies

• lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    when i first started cutting calories i was hungry for about a week, maybe 2. At that time I was also trying not to eat past 8pm (which turns out it just doesnt work for me, im usually up past midnight). But after the first week or two my body adjusted and Im rarely hungry anymore. In the past week or two I've also started making sure I leave 200cals or so for evening 'snacking', which helps on those nights when i need it. Hope that helps!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    H20/fiber/protein. Make sure you are eating 5-6 meals daily.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Also they say greek yogurt fills you up. Have not tried it-not my favorite.
  • depends on how much you're eating. SOOOO STRICT is not mentally healthy and can be physically unhealthy if your calories are being restricted too much.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    It gets better. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of protein/fiber. Don't give up. It does get better!

When I first started I just logged everything I ate and didn't worry to much about calories. Then, as I went along I learned what calories I was eating and slowly switched things up. I was hungry but it got better. A year later and I'm eating a TON better and the hungry feeling is so much more manageable.
  • Giant spoonful of peanut butter. Either that or work protein powder into your diet and make the shake with a banana . I always feel more full after either of these.
  • Go to William Sonoma.com and search their Butternut squash and carrot soup. Make it without the pork and the cream. It is delicious and very thick. It will satisfy your need for something tasty/good flavor and it is very filling. I figured it is about 80 cal for a full cup if you eliminate the pork and cream
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Hey guys. I have been on myfitnesspal everyday for the last four days, trying to follow my diet as strict as I can. And I am so often hungry... do you have any tips, kinds of food, that will make me feel less hungry? Or will this sensation fade away as the days go by? I am so tired of being hungry.

Read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html
  • lschuttem
    lschuttem Posts: 82 Member
    yeah i forgot to mention that- i try to eat a lot of very fibre rich foods (i tried dried figs for the first time this week and i love them!) and protein throughout the day, especially at breakfast. check out my diary for ideas if you want (im pretty sure its public) and of course drinking LOTS of water and tea!
  • whenever I am hungry I force myself to drink some water (usually 2-3 cups worth) first, and if I am still hungry after then I go ahead and get a high fiber snack, but I have found that usually I am not hungry after having the water...my body was just so used to confusing thirst for hunger...I am finally adapted and now I can tell the difference right away, I also feel "snacky" far less often, it does get easier.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Lots of water. Every time I feel hungry I drink a glass of water. Sometimes I find my hunger goes away for a while.
    Lots of non starchy veggies. they can take the edge off your hunger.
    I eat more meat and higher fat since I'm diabetic and have found I can't really eat carbs. It does make me feel full longer.
    Soup, all that warm liquid helps me feel full.
    Fiber, if you are eating carbs stick to high fiber stuff like whole grains, oatmeal etc.

Gradually shrink your stomach. My dear hubby has started to lose weight. His only change is to reduce what he eats. Bit by bit he's worked his way down to slightly smaller portions and his stomach is starting to shrink. It is a much slower way to lose weight but much less difficult. He's taken off about 15 lbs in the last month but he is pretty overweight too.

I found that after a week or two my stomach shrinks down and I'm less hungry so it might be you just have to wait it out a bit.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    If you're used to eating a lot more, your stomach is probably stretched, in which case, the feeling will fade as the days go on. I felt like I was starving for a while when I started 1 month ago, but I've lost 8 pounds since, so it has paid off! I no longer feel like I'm starving all the time and I feel healthier for having stuck to it. So stick to it!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    I sometimes resort to large meals. I am a Volume eater, so I crave lots of food.

So what I do is make a gigantic plate of veggies with some type of low cal sauce, soup, etc.

Sometimes 2 huge plates can be less than 500 calories when cooked right.

So if I am having a crazy hungry day, I make myself a huge dinner with tons of low cal content.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    You look lean already and your weight loss goal is small. You may be better off with a very small deficit and take the time to lose that last small amount.

If you haven't calculated your BMR and TDEE do that and then just go maybe 5% below your TDEE always staying above your BMR . (I go 15-20% below my TDEE but I have 100 pounds to lose)

I eat healthy fats from nuts and seeds and lots of raw veg which is filling. I haven't had a problem with hunger yet.

Or you could just forget the weight loss for a while considering your size, enjoy eating and do some lifting.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Are you drinking enough water? I drink half my weight in water, about a gallon...that seems to help a lot as well, as eating protein at every meal.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member

Questions:

1) Are you eating enough? For a male, should be minimum of 1500 calories but if you're taller/heavier it should be much more. Set a reasonable goal for weight loss (eg. 1lb per week rather than 2)

2) Are you eating plenty of protein? Eating more protein can help with satiety. I find eggs are a great, filling snack to have.

Drinking water, tea and coffee helps suppress appetite.

For me, I eat infrequently and practice intermittent fasting. I find that I rarely get hungry on this regime, because my body has adjusted and I don't get hungry at the same times anymore.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    H20/fiber/protein. Make sure you are eating 5-6 meals daily.

This is incorrect, more meals will just make you want to eat all the time. This is well documented, the amount of meals per day DOES NOT affect anything. I wander when this will actually be put to rest. The H20/fiber/protein is correct tho.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    when i first started cutting calories i was hungry for about a week, maybe 2. At that time I was also trying not to eat past 8pm (which turns out it just doesnt work for me, im usually up past midnight). But after the first week or two my body adjusted and Im rarely hungry anymore. In the past week or two I've also started making sure I leave 200cals or so for evening 'snacking', which helps on those nights when i need it. Hope that helps!

Same here! with some minor changes... basically, it takes awhile to adjust. Work through it
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    depends on how much you're eating. SOOOO STRICT is not mentally healthy and can be physically unhealthy if your calories are being restricted too much.

THIS!

Not to mention exhausting. Hunger usually passes after about 20 minutes. Drinking cold water helps me with that. Also meal frequency can leave you starving even after ten minutes of eating. Not having enough room in your calorie budget for daily treats could also set you up for failure.

I like to use this example for buddies.

80% of the time your on track with meal plan and 20% your not this means the following.

2 meals per day X 7 days = 14 meals per week = 1 non compliant meal per week
    3 meals per day X 7 days = 21 meals per week = 2 non compliant meals per week
    4 meals per day X 7 days = 28 meals per week = 3 non compliant meals per week
    5 meals per day X 7 days = 35 meals per week = 3 non compliant meals per week
    6 meals per day X 7 days = 42 meals per week = 4 non compliant meals per week

The above I like because its not keeping me strict but it also keeps me in check with my eating and my junky cheat meals here and there. I don't believe in clean eating its a scam!