TAKE A BREAK! am I the only one

Options
I am 17 days into my journey and having a hard time taking a day off from exercise. Does anyone else having a hard time just saying no??

Edited to be more clear.

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what you're asking? Taking a day off of what? Exercise? What are you having a hard time saying no to?
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    it is ok to have a day or two each week of rest. I always save Sundays for my day of rest plus usually another day during the week. It is actually better for your body to have a day of rest then constantly exercising and doing workouts every single day, at least when it comes to weight training. It needs that day to repair muscle fibers. So yes, it is ok for you to say today I need a day break from working out. You shouldn't feel bad about that.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Once you get into the habit of the new lifestyle it does feel strange to take breaks off from doing exercise. I feel like I should be doing something and I feel almost guilty for being lazy. I'm trying to learn to enjoy the days off now. It's a strange feeling because it used to be the complete opposite for me. I suppose that is a true indicator that this is a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet/exercise phase.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Rest is important. That said, on a rest day, take a leisurely walk or bike ride that way you don't feel "guilty."
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    no i don't. i schedule my workout days and therefore my off days are scheduled. it works perfect.
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday unless I'm really sick example: Chest cold. I'm still a bit of a newbie but I've been with MFP for 44days and only have missed 3 days of working out because of being really sick. OMG I felt so guilty for not working out but soon as I was well enough I was back at it and have been ever since.
  • dHowe4406
    dHowe4406 Posts: 114
    Options
    No because I scheduled my runs and workout so I have a day off and I can tell I really need them. Now a week off because the workout you are following says to, like the one I'm doing now. Yes I had a hard time with that.
  • xoMommyWxo
    Options
    Once you get into the habit of the new lifestyle it does feel strange to take breaks off from doing exercise. I feel like I should be doing something and I feel almost guilty for being lazy. I'm trying to learn to enjoy the days off now. It's a strange feeling because it used to be the complete opposite for me. I suppose that is a true indicator that this is a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet/exercise phase.

This is exactly how I feel. It's kind of like I won't get results if I do, but I know I will get better results with rest. I am soooo used to being a lazy bum I don't want to fall back into my old lifestyle
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to take rest days. Remember that active rest days are fine - so go for a walk, if you're feeling restless.

But yeah, I know I perform better when I do have some rest time. It's worth it.
  • kelleyke
    kelleyke Posts: 20
    Options
    I just finished my first round of P90x only missing one day (christmas) from the schedule and now I'm taking the rest of the week off before starting again this coming Monday, since I figured I could use the rest. It's quite odd for me normally on rest days to have that extra hour free, but now having a string of days in a row just makes me feel downright lazy, even though 6 months ago I probably went weeks in between quality workouts :laugh:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a couch to 10k program. And it states not to run every day. I've tried running several days in a row, but really at this point it just messes with the quality of the workout and actually slows my progress. I try and fit in some strength training in the I between days, but so far I am not very good at it. :blushing: