water

Options
hi everybody :)

i am not sure if anybody has already posted about this, as this is the first time ive posted and looked at the message boards.
i know that you are supposed to drink approx 8 glasses of water per day, but what size glasses?

thanks.

kelly.

Replies

• VVasquez22
    Options
    8 oz or a "cup". I drink about 12 cups a day.
  • shannoni_23
    Options
    Suppose to be 8 "8oz glasses" of water. Most glasses are bigger than 8 oz. I drink about 4 bottles (at least, usually 5-6) per day. A 16.9oz Dasani bottle (from the 24 pack) is a little over 2 "glasses" of water. My trainer told me that the water I drink while working out does not count tho. That's just replacing what you're sweating out.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

Research measuring water loss has shown that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks. All non-alcoholic drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest.
  • charlee_bubbles
    Options
    i try to drink 500 mls when im working out, its not as much as it should be but i detest water!! i can just about stomach flavoured but i begrudge the calories in it!! lol
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    meaning qty 8, of 8 oz cups (64 oz)...but I usually double that amount at least...
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    A little lemon or lime juice can make water much more palatable for people who don't like plain water without adding many calories. I also find that cold water sometimes tastes better.

Also, be aware that some bottled waters add salt. If you're exercising and trying to regain salt as well as water, that may be good, but for people watching their sodium or salt intake, check the label. (Sometimes the big advertising words say "minerals"... remember salts are minerals.)

Oh, and too much water or too fast can be very bad for you. If you haven't been drinking your water all day, don't try to "catch up" by drinking 64 oz. before bed.
  • butttrffly
    Options
    I never thought about it, I have always been a water drinker it is my preferred drink. If you do not like it. Have a water bottle near you all day. Pretty soon you will be sipping on it and not thinking about it. I add lime whenever I can. It helps with seasonal allergys. Hope that helps.
  • cherrypie80
    cherrypie80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody.

i sometimes wonder if i drink too much water.
    i quite often guzzle pints of the stuff.
    it is also my preffered drink theses days.
    i do work out almost every day. so i guess i need it.
    i guess our bodies generally tell us when we need it right?
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You're probably ok... just don't drink multiple glasses quickly. As someone else suggested, keep water handy and drink it a bit at a time throughout the day. In addition to the water intoxication or poisoning (see links below), you can stretch out your stomach. I know a woman who got an infection due to the regular stretching and then folding of her stomach when she was drinking about 32 oz each night to "catch up" on what she was supposed to eat during the day. Like anything... food, sleep, exercise, the key is finding the right balance for your body instead of doing crazy-extreme things. As the articles below suggest, part of the problem with too much water can be the watering down of other necessary nutrients or electrolytes. As with all health information, consider the source and be careful.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Good luck! Remember that juice and liquid in foods (stew, smoothies, etc.) help keep your body hydrated too.
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    yes, cups. doesn't matter the size glass. i would drink more then that if I were you.