Post run nausea??

As of late my wife has been getting very nauseous after her runs. We've been reading up on the causes (dehydration, overexertion, etc) but I'm wondering if anyone has/had this problem and have a solution to stop the nausea sooner than later?? (like I would really like for her to feel better, she just came from a run and feels awful) :(

Replies

• Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    I used to get nauseous every time I ran until I started getting in better shape. Trying to do too much too soon could be the culprit. I also don't like to eat 1-2 hours before I run especially anything with citrus will make me nauseous. Another thing is if you have a good run and just stop without allowing your body to properly cool down and lower your heart rate with a light jog. Good Luck!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    this happened to me all the time. for me it was a food issue. i wasn't eating enough before i ran. i don't mean sit down and eat a big meal 1/2 before workout. but now i try to eat a protien bar or a banana with a greek yogurt about an hour to 1 1/2 before i run and it has helped immensely. i found through trial and error that i needed something with protien to keep me going and from feeling sick.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Eating too much or too little or too close to the run can do it.

Has she added anything to her diet lately? Some foods and exercise don't go together for some people.

This is probably going to be one of those trial and error things.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Thanks everyone!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    If she's sweating a lot she might need to replenish her electrolytes. some drink Gatorade, others eat packets of salt (eeewwwww). She should keep notes on eating habits around exercise, and how she feels during and after. Over time the culprit should present itself.

Edit: iphone auto complete... Grrr...
  • samuraidoctor
    samuraidoctor Posts: 29 Member
    Drink enough water before the run.
    Add a hydration tablet to your water for the run to replace electrolytes.
    Eat a low glycemic carb (I have 1/2 cup trail mix) an hour before the run.

Protein is good, too, but you don't burn that. The best time for protein is right after, to help build strong muscles!