Hula Hooping Questions

Options
Ok so I have been hearing a lot about hula hooping and I used to love to do it leisurely when I was younger, but my questions are now for exercising, what kind of hula hoop should I get? Are there certain techniques I should try, etc. Anything and everything that anyone knows about hula hooping would be greatly appreciated!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• brittlouise
    Options
    I'm going to start hooping everyday. I'm planning to do a 30 day challenge, where I'll hoop for 30 minutes a day at least. I made my own hoops to start hooping, but you can always buy from hoopnotica.com hoopgirl.com both are great websites. i am waiting on a travel hoop to arrive from hoopnotica. I also go to the website hooping.org its a community and they are constantly posting videos, pictures, and articles on hooping. Also, at your sporting good stores they sell "fitness hoops" that are a little more heavy duty and are strictly for exercise.

Hope this helps. Happy hooping! :]
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    how many calories do you burn in a minute doing hula hooping, use to do it as a child and won many competions, have one here and tried using it a year ago and couldn't do it, any suggestions or should I just keep trying?
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Was also one of my favorites as a child. I bought one for 4 yr old and she took right to it. As long as you are moving those hips go for it When you find the answer pls post it.
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    okay I went on to hooping.org it say's under the faq's that you will burn 210 calories in a 30 min. session.

Not bad also tells you how to do it, I have one here so starting monday, I am gone to try it, gone to add it to the exercise data base for me also, so you should see it there, gonna put it in at 10 min , 15 min, etc. so 10 min should be 70 calories
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    For a while I have been toying with the idea of using a hula hoop and was going to buy one from wally's world on Monday. Just for starters and go from there. I saved those websites, thanks :)
  • brittlouise
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M7XTPGpkVA
    There is a pretty basic tutorial on waist hooping. Just google hula hoop tutorials and you'll get tons of tips and tricks and fun new things to try out.

I hooped yesterday for 50 minutes. And then for 35 minutes. I also wrote it in as 210 calories per half hour also.
    First session I did the hoopgirl dvd workout. http://circushoops.sectorlink.org/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=38
    It was a great drill for getting better at hooping and I was sweating afterwards. Haha.
    The next session I just played and put on some music and tried some more moves I learned in the hoopgirl dvd again.

I suggest NOT to get a toy hoop from the kids department. They are too small, too light, and will make it really complicated to keep it up. Some smaller girls who have the hang of it can do it, but its much better to get an adult size one that measures to your belly button when resting on the floor.

You can always purchase from online or watch a hoopmaking video and make your own hoops. It is super simple and you can get everything from the hardware store.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBreLABeqlI There is a hoopmaking video.

And here is a cool hooping weight loss transformation video I found a couple days ago.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qlAhRiBpoY
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Bump! My son can out hula me... I need to learn! Figure skating is my hobby and I really want to incorporate it into a program!
  • brittlouise
    Options
    Cool!
    I am going to join. :]
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mamadragon
    Options
    just joined the group :smile: thanks for posting it. I was going to get one from Wal Mart to start out with and fill it with sand to weigh it down some. They had large ones that almost reach my belly button.
  • mamadragon
    Options
    @ brittlouise - how did you make your own hoops?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You know I've always wanted to incorporate hula hooping into my fitness. I might have to do that. I used to be really good at it.
  • brittlouise
    Options
    Watch this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBreLABeqlI

That is how I make my hoops, except instead of dipping the ends in boiling water, I just heat them up with a blow dryer for about 30 seconds.

If you go to the hardware store, such as Lowes.. everything should be in the plumbing department.
    You'll need the 3/4 inch, 100 or 160 Psi Flex PVC tubing (irrigation tubing). If you want a heavier hoop 160 Psi is the way to go. The come in 100 ft rolls so you are going to be able to make a lot of hoops. Which is okay, get your friends into and make them hoops at cost or just have several hoops in different colors.
    You'll also need the insert couplings. They should be close to the drainage pipe if you go to Lowes. There are lots of different kinds so just go slow and scan the shelf for the one she shows you in the video. It goes inside the hoops so when its put together you will not see it! Get the 3/4 inch one.
    And then to decorate your hoop just get electrical tape in the different colors. You can also buy grip tape and other fancy ones online but electrical tape will do for now.
    And to make it a bit easier to cut the tubing I bought the PVC Cutter Ratchet tool. I'm really glad I bought it, it makes it a breeze to cut the tubing.

Hope this helps!
  • kayleighcr
    Options
    I have the hoopnotica hoop with the videos. This one is great for hoop dancing. The videos teach you fun dance like moves but you also burn calories! My mom just bought a weighted hoop (about 4lbs, the hoopnotica hoop is only 1.5) and she loves it! She hoops on her hips for as long as she can throughout the day. Either one is a great workout! I've seen quite a few groupons for these as well.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 1.5 / 2 lbs one, should I have gone higher? I'm going to give hoopnotica a try, hoping to find a workout DVD that I actually look forward to!
  • popopo011
    Options
    You say 30 minuts will burn 210. But I am 310 pounds and in myfitnesspal exercise calculator I only found some wii super hoop and it says for my weight 30 minutes is 183. I don't understand? Anybody with more precise numbers?
    Also, do you think I could just buy two childrens, cut a piece out of it, and put them together? Maybe put some sand/rice in it? I am not sure if this workout is for me, so I would prefer to try it out like that before I go and purchase a good one, plus it takess time to ship to my place and I can try this two hoops thing tomorrow.
  • popopo011
    Options
    bump
  • mamadragon
    Options
    popopo011 - your weight will affect how much calories you will burn. A good place check out is http://calorielab.com/burned/. It's where I go to check out things I do, especially when FP doesn't have it listed.