The worst thing ever....

Options
Went to my ultra FUN, international Zumba class last night, was having fun until I felt a huge pop/snap in my calf with excruciating pain...tried to walk it off, yeah that wasnt going to happen.
Five hours and one ER visit later I've torn a muscle in my calf. I'm on crutches and can bear no weight for 2-3 weeks. Im out of the gym for at least a month. :sad: :sad: :sad:
I was incredibly irked at the doctor, he almost accused me of being immobile all winter and then deciding to overdo it at the gym. :grumble: I assured him over and over that wasnt the case, that I've been doing this for months and months, but its like he didnt believe me. It gave me the impression that he figured since I'm fat I've never excercised before . Whatever.

I'm sad, pissed off, in pain and scared as to how I'm going to continue my weight loss.
Whatever. :angry: Nothing I can do about it but enjoy the painkillers, right?! :huh:

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Went to my ultra FUN, international Zumba class last night, was having fun until I felt a huge pop/snap in my calf with excruciating pain...tried to walk it off, yeah that wasnt going to happen.
    Five hours and one ER visit later I've torn a muscle in my calf. I'm on crutches and can bear no weight for 2-3 weeks. Im out of the gym for at least a month. :sad: :sad: :sad:
    I was incredibly irked at the doctor, he almost accused me of being immobile all winter and then deciding to overdo it at the gym. :grumble: I assured him over and over that wasnt the case, that I've been doing this for months and months, but its like he didnt believe me. It gave me the impression that he figured since I'm fat I've never excercised before . Whatever.

I'm sad, pissed off, in pain and scared as to how I'm going to continue my weight loss.
    Whatever. :angry: Nothing I can do about it but enjoy the painkillers, right?! :huh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    what about swimming? Or the rowing machine.
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    I was down for 6-8 weeks recently for a serious sprank ankle - cruches and all...wasn't able to do much carido, but continued to do weights and after a couple of weeks the stationary bike. Tried lap swim, but the motion and use of legs (ankle) prolonged my recovery..so I had to give it up until just recent! Adjust calorie intake to accommodate calories you're not able to burn!
  • neecey
    neecey Posts: 16
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this frightening and frustrating experience!
    Definitely keep up with the eating plan - be very diligent here as being sad and depressed about the injury may cause you to "give up" the healthy eating and turn to comfort foods.
    Definitely try to do upper body exercises. Maybe go to the gym and use the weight machines for upper body. If you have a set of dumbbells, use them while sitting on the couch watching tv. If you can lay on the side that is hurt, you can still do leg lifts on the other side while lying down.
    A month goes by really fast :0) Not so much when you're anticipating time to go by, but it will pass. Thank goodness you didn't get an order to stay down for 3 months as what happened when I injured my knee. And running is my main source of exercise and calorie burn - yikes!
    Keep your chin up and hang in there!
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    swim swim swim
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You are not necessarily out of the gym for at least a month. Talk to the trainers there and see what you can do with your upper body. What about swimming? You might also be able to do some strength training on other parts of your body. I'm no expert, and you definitly should rest your calf, but don't lose all of your hard work if you don't have to.

As an add on to your anger, one thing that has been simmering for me is the plus sized workout clothes. THEY SUCK! I guess the fashion industry assume fat girls don't exercise. Well, how do we get thin if we don't exercise? And we do need good quality clothes to wear while doing it.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That's terrible! I'm sorry the doctor was so asinine - in medical we have a saying... when Dr. goes in the front, *kitten* is in the back :)

I hope you have a speedy recovery. For now focus on your health. Keep dieting but make sure your body has enough calories to keep healing. If you have your settings at losing 2lbs a week drop it down to .5lbs just to make sure that you have whatever you need.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    As far as cardio goes, some gyms have an arm machine (the name "Ube" comes to mind) that's like a bicycle crank that you pedal with your hands. I've done that and I'll be darned if you can't get your heart rate up in a hurry! So, check your gym to see if they have one while your off your leg.

Good luck with your recovery!!! :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Somebody mentioned that when swimming, it made their injury worse. Most pools have a leg float (I'm not sure what it's called) that you can put between your legs, and it keeps you from kicking. Unless you're racing, legs are mostly used for stabilizing when swimming anyways.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    how about using a light weight, seated, shadow boxing? I just heard it on Jillian Michaels radio show... Not sure which date, listening to back episodes.
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I really hope you get to feeling better. I know anything torn is not good.

The best thing, I believe, is to rest the injury so that it can heal properly. If you stress it too much it will not heal correctly and it may cause more trouble down the road.

I would say that the key thing right now would be to maintain. Just eat healthy and rehab your muscles. You'll be back in no time!

-Ian