Half finished an interesting experiment...

Options
I had bought a Heart Rate monitor watch as well as a chest strap. I believe it is quite accurate, so I decided to wear it since 10am this morning. It is now 10:19pm. Mon-Fri I go to the gym, so today is my rest day. I only went to the washroom and made meals today, wonderful day haha. I have burned 2462 calories. I am going to sleep with it overnight and see how much my body burns in a 24 hour period. Just thought I would share how accurate it seems to be if you are considering picking one up!

Replies

• MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just started using one for my workouts. I think it is the most accurate. The elliptical cross-trainer i love will tell me i've burned 450 calories during my workout, my FitBit will tell me i've burned 350 calories during the same workout, and the HRM tells me only 250 calories!! I believe the HRM is the most accurate, but imagine if i ate back the 450 calories the machine told me? That can be a considerable difference!
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I really sound like a Gadget-Girl, don't i? :smile:
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Haha just a little. Yeah I worked my *kitten* off on the elliptical on Friday and burned 600 calories in my workout and kept my heart rate going for a while!
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    HRM are not meant to be wore all day, only for cardio exercise. You won't get an accurate reading at all. If you want something to tell you how many calories you burn all day you need a Fitbit or a Bodybug.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    HRM are not meant to be wore all day, only for cardio exercise. You won't get an accurate reading at all. If you want something to tell you how many calories you burn all day you need a Fitbit or a Bodybug.

Not in my case.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I tried this too! I wore it from 8am to 10pm one day. This day was a normal day for me, was in school, not really any exercise! I burned 2400 calories that day!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I just started using one for my workouts. I think it is the most accurate. The elliptical cross-trainer i love will tell me i've burned 450 calories during my workout, my FitBit will tell me i've burned 350 calories during the same workout, and the HRM tells me only 250 calories!! I believe the HRM is the most accurate, but imagine if i ate back the 450 calories the machine told me? That can be a considerable difference!

Funny, I wore my HRM and my Fitbit to compare a few times last week. Each time they were within 10 calories of each other, no matter the activity! I was impressed!!
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am interested in a HRM that tracks calories can you recommend one? I am sure the treadmill, elliptical are overestimating my calorie burn and it makes me nervous about eating all of my exercise calories back.
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    I have a polar ft7. I love it! It tracks calories! When I started using my HRM, I realised that the treadmill was over estimating by over 100 calories! Get one, it's worth the money!
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    TY I will look into it .