Eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs!

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
I have lots of eggs...

Basically I'm looking for some egg recipes. I'm totally broke right now so these are kind of my staple - I have lots of herbs and spices but aside from scrambling them, I have no idea what to do!

It's going to be a pretty boring month eating plain old scrambled eggs.... help!

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I have lots of eggs...

Basically I'm looking for some egg recipes. I'm totally broke right now so these are kind of my staple - I have lots of herbs and spices but aside from scrambling them, I have no idea what to do!

It's going to be a pretty boring month eating plain old scrambled eggs.... help!

Oh girl, I love eggs! I make them all sorts of ways and I'll send you some ideas. But in the meantime, search Pinterest for "eggs" and you'll find all sorts of delicious recipes! http://pinterest.com/search/?q=eggs
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Get a non-stick muffin tin that has 12 cups.
    6 whole eggs
    6 egg whites (or whatever proportion of eggs/egg whites you want)
    Mix them up

Find some "filling" that you like, whether sauteed veg (spinach and mushroom is good), or chopped up meat (like lunchmeat), or cheese, or a combo of them.

Spray the muffin tin with oil. Put some filing in each cup, say a quarter or a third of the way.

ladle the egg mixture into the cups.

Bake on 175C for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked.

I tend to also add some garlic paste, hot sauce, salt and pepper into my egg mixture.

You can then freeze them and take out and microwave for a quick low cal snack.
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mini_mushroom_sausage_quiches.html

I just made exactly what you described AirCircle, what a coincidence. I made them tonight for breakfast tomorrow. I tried one and they are so good! I look forward to doing them again and changing it up with different veggies and fillings.

jo
  • orchidsand
    Options
    I spent a whole summer once living on eggs, milk & cheese, so I know where you are coming from. One of my favorites are fritatas. They are essentially the same thing as AirCirlel posted except I put the mixture in a cast iron skillet and bake it in the oven. Once out, and cooled you cut it like a pie and can refrigerate the pieces for several days. It is on my list of things to make today so I will have food this week. What I love about fritatas is you can put what ever you have in the mixture. If I want a few more calories I add some cheese. I also love fried egg sandwiches or wraps. I fry the egg and use it in a sandwich or wrap like a piece of meat. I love it with lots of fresh veggies. Here is a web site devoted to eggs. There are some really interesting things listed.

http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/recipes/category/main-dishes
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I love fritata too. I fry potato and onion with garlic (cheap) until soft, add in 6 eggs with lots of black pepper let it set, then pop under the grill to set the top. Delicious! X
  • JoHola
    JoHola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i love frittata's too.

Whichever veg I have around the house, I boil up. Drain when cooked, add some eggs and seasoning (I like salt, pepper, few herbs and and nutmeg) then put the eggie, veggie mixture in a frying pan with some fry light. Once its set, and gone a lovely golden colour on the bottom, turn it over (I use a plate to put on top) and then fry the other side.
  • JoHola
    JoHola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Or you could make a Spanish Tortilla (but it uses a little more oil). To make you slce potatoes super thinly, then fry with onion (or you could try boiling I suppose). Then when the potato is cooked you mix some eggs, put the potato mixture into the eggs. Season again and then add back to the frying pan. Cook unil golden brown on top and then turn it over and cook the other side. :smile:
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Frittatas, omlettes, breakfast burritos, hard boiled for a snack, breakfast sandwiches, quiche
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    quiche!!!! *nomnomnom!*
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Good old omlette!
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs with milk and butter.
    when almost done throw in some shredded cheese.
    after that you might want to have salad for lunch.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bump... I want to try ALL of these things :)
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Asian Oven Omelet (4-6 servings)

INGREDIENTS

6 ounces angel hair pasta

2 teaspoons oil

1/2 cup thinly-sliced celery

1 8-ounce package mushrooms

4 scallions, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger

3 eggs

6 egg whites

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1/2 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a large, nonstick, oven-proof skillet. Add celery and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, scallions, and ginger and cook until browned, 7-10 minutes. Stir pasta into skillet. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, sesame oil, and sugar. Pour into skillet, and spread everything into an even layer. Cook 2 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until set. Cut into wedges and drizzle with soy sauce.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Yummmy eggs:-) I typically use 6 egg whites every morning (the yolks are fine I just don't like them)

I love making an egg white omelete with salsa and cheese.
    Deviled eggs
    egg salad sandwiches
    Egg in salads
    Eggs, cheese and bacon in a high fiber tortilla wrap
    crustless spinach pie with extra egg whites
    I also take whatever vegetable I have and need to use, sautee it up with red onion and then add my 6 egg whites to it, it is yummy, low cal and filling.

OMG..too many things to list.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/323393-marshmallow-cake-81-cals

It's a pudding but amazing. I have tweaked it for my own taste to

4 egg whites whipped up to stiff peaks.

2 packets (enough for 2 pints) of flavored sugar free jelly (think that's jello in the US)
    1 flat tsp of xanthan gum
    dissolve these two ingredients in 125ml boiling water (whisking it helps to dissolve) then top up with 125ml of cold water.

Whilst the whisk is on slow add the liquid mixture very slowly to the egg whites bit at a time. When all together pour into a bowl and put in fridge for 90 mins.

I love the taste and amazed at how low calorie it is. It tastes like it should be a lot more.
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wdmom
    wdmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump