What badness can't you live without?

Options
I know so many people try and avoid bread these days... but I can't live without it! I don't eat a lot of rice and potatoes and don't crave them terribly much, but life without bread would be too much to bear. I do try and keep it wholegrain - but a lot of that is for taste reasons - most white bread tastes like nothing.

I am mindful of not eating massive amounts of noodles and pasta also, but noodles and pasta are also things I couldn't live without.

I know that cheese is not great for you, it is very fatty and it's all saturated fat. I have cut down on it and have more low fat and cottage/ricotta cheese these days than hard cheeses and soft centre cheeses, but a life without cheese is not worth living.

Replies

• Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Agreed on cheese and bread. Also peanut butter and alcohol. Only, I don't live without them, I fit them within my daily goals. It's the only way I've made it this far!
  • TommysMum15
    TommysMum15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wine wine and more wine!!
    I am definitely a sucker for bread too but I have recently discovered I have a dairy and wheat allergy so have now switched to wheat-free bread. It doesn't taste as good and has helped me cut that down.

When I am being really good on my diet (low carbs, no alcohol etc) I compensate with loads of black coffee. I know caffeine isn't all that great for you but I've gotta have something!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Cant live without bread or rice. Indian cuisine doesnt exist without those....
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    These days? I'm kind of addicted to Fage honey greek yogurts, the ones with the honey separated... It's soooooooo good. I eat like 1-2 per day... hehe...

Movie theater popcorn is another one. I drench it in that fake butter stuff, and no, I don't care how bad it is for me.
  • kimdwl
    kimdwl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can not live with out cheese, I love it so much i would rather a cheese plater over a box of chocolates any day.
    accept now I keep some really good cheese in the fridge and have a tiny bit of it as a treat snack rather than eating heaps of cheap cheese.

I would have thought wine but 3 weeks in i just realised i haven't had a sip of wine and haven't missed it at all.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ice cream.

Definitely ice cream.

In fact, I'm gonna have some right now!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Nachos! It's the only food I've really had a craving for since I totally changed my diet at the start of the year.

To date I've not had any bad take away food, only had 1 alcoholic beverage and absolutely no carbonated soft drinks.

My birthday is coming up next month so I'll be looking at treating myself to a bowl of chipotle steak nachos xD
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bagels, pancakes, dry roasted peanuts. Lots of things actually but I manage to fit them into my calories since I just couldn't be without them.
  • Roly59
    Roly59 Posts: 21
    Options
    Wine every time
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ice cream.

Definitely ice cream.

In fact, I'm gonna have some right now!

Same for me. I would never be able to give up ice cream for the long haul.
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    granola bars and processed peanut butter
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am a sucker for pizza & root beer floats! Saturday night mmm....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I know so many people try and avoid bread these days... but I can't live without it! I don't eat a lot of rice and potatoes and don't crave them terribly much, but life without bread would be too much to bear. I do try and keep it wholegrain - but a lot of that is for taste reasons - most white bread tastes like nothing.

I am mindful of not eating massive amounts of noodles and pasta also, but noodles and pasta are also things I couldn't live without.

I know that cheese is not great for you, it is very fatty and it's all saturated fat. I have cut down on it and have more low fat and cottage/ricotta cheese these days than hard cheeses and soft centre cheeses, but a life without cheese is not worth living.

This is a bad mindset. There isn't any reason (unless you're allergic to it or it physically makes you ill) to eat foods you enjoy if you don't over consume it.
    Part of the reason why people regain weight lost is because of the mindset of something being bad, omitting it from their diet, then gorging on it because they miss it.
    Eating is a behavior. You can change the behavior without having to omit the foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Morel Mushrooms!

If I had to pick one thing I seriously couldn't live without though, it would be Morel mushrooms, coated with Ritz cracker crumbs and fried with BUTTER! I fear mushroom season this year but I'll exercise more and fit it in, somehow. It's THE one thing that I really wouldn't care if I gained weight with. LOL Thankfully they aren't available year round.

As far as anything else goes, if I want it, I make room for it in my calorie count by exercising more. I'd rather not deprive myself so much that I feel like I'm on a diet, and I've lost almost 17lbs now so it must be working. :)
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Chocolate, cheese, bread, Nutella. But I don't have to live without them, I fit them into my daily numbers. I'm mindful about how much I'm eating. And I don't have to eat them every day.

And agreed about Indian food not being the same without bread/rice. I've learned that chicken Tikka Masala just isn't the same without a little bread or rice with it. It's all about fitting in and not overindulging.
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    cheese, coffee creamer and creamy salad dressings. though i have been able to convert to the "light" dressings so the calorie count isnt as high :smile:
  • anat0my
    anat0my Posts: 15
    Options
    I can't get myself off shortbread, which is horribly unhealthy - but as long as you think of portion control, I think it's fine to eat what you enjoy. Weight loss shouldn't be viewed as a chore, and it's true it may be slower if you carry on with foods you love, but I think it's important to to keep weight loss a positive thing (: Exhibit A; I've lost 11lb in two/three months and I've been portioning the food I love c:

14648944.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 4pence
    4pence Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Crisps, for sure. I've been buying multibags of 'healthy' crisps (walkers sunbites etc) but they just don't satisfy me. Even though I have bags in my cupboard i'll still go down the road to get some pringles from the shop.

And bread, used to be a big problem for me at about 100cals a slice, then recently I discovered danish bread. They're tiny little slices but at 50-60 calories each they let me eat bread without feeling bad :D
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    i know this isn't that bad, but it is because it's high in fat and calories, but i eat peanut butter every day. i'm trying to find other options.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I have one cheat meal a week, with whatever I want. Sticking steadfast to my diet plan sheds fat like no-ones business. Keeps you sane with one meal a week of your choosing.

In the most part tho, I'm not a dog so don't reward my self with food...