Did I lose fat or muscle? (and bra sizing)

Options
Firstly... Someone mentioned on here that if you are losing inches but not pounds it must be fat you are losing cos it takes up more space than muscle or something? .. I had lost more inches than the other person had even though they had lost much more in pounds in a much shorter time. I haven't even got to 3 stone lost yet and started last June, they were at something like 4-5stone lost in a few months but only a few inches?.. I was wondering how this was possible?

I was saying how lost 13" from around tummy and 7 " from around the waist quite quickly last year but now the inches seemed to have stalled (though I never measured anywhere else at start tbh cos I just wanted to lose tummy).. I do know I've also lost 5" off boobs they gone down from 40 to a 35.

Secondly.. When I was in Asda the other day I didn't know what size bra to get cos they go up in even numbers, do I pick 34 and a bigger cup or 36 and a small cup?.. I can't remember how to work out my cup size as I had been getting those sports bra's you just put over your head and tend to come in small, medium or large, so only needed to know the number.

The bra's I had seen on special offer were 34B's got 2 in the pack for a good price but I had no idea whether they would fit so left it. . what would be a good letter if you're inbetween sizes.. should I go for a 34C or D or something like a 36A or B?

Thanks

Leigh :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rockyluv88
    Options
    I would go into a nice department store or a Victorias secret if in the US and have them properly measure you. You are not obligated to purchase anything but they will tell you what band size and cup you are. It's kinda awkward to have a lady measuring you but I think it's worth it. If you don't want to be measured I would go a cup size up rather than down so you don't " spill out" lol
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    lol!.. so should go with 36 bra's rather than 34's?

I can't remember how to work out the cup letter though it used to be something to do with subtracting certain numbers depending on what measurements you had but I can't for the life of me remember what they were!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    3ep get measured although preferably not at vs (generally they are not trained the greatest) i speak from a lot of experience. And it is swkward for some... Just remember its their job and completely normal to them @:-)
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options

I can't remember how to work out the cup letter though it used to be something to do with subtracting certain numbers depending on what measurements you had but I can't for the life of me remember what they were!

I would try on a smaller band with a bigger cup and see how that works. It certainly did wonders for me. I was walking around wearing a 36C for ages and the band would always ride up my back or I would be falling out of the bottom of the bra. I got some 34D's and boy.. what a difference that has made!
  • shakybabe
    Options
    wheelchair access is a problem and the cost of getting there in my powered chair I was hoping to be able to work it out myself.

Asda is only store I can get to on scooter as its on edge of village but they don't do bra fittings and again chair doesn't fit in changing rooms so have to bring them home to try them on and take them back if they don't fit.

Does anyone know about whether I have lost mostly fat or muscle? I was wondering if the inches had stopped going down cos it meant i had lost all my excess body fat? ( I was only 2 stone over the top end of healthy for my height when I joined here).

my ribs just under boobs are nearly as big as my boobs now the boobs have shrunk and gone as flat as pancakes... lol! I never realised my ribs stuck out that much when they were covered in fat before! I can really feel my collarbone too. I don't want to go much thinner as I'll look like skeleton, just need tummy tightening up a bit now and last 3lbs off I think as I really want to make it to the '3 stone lost' goal.

I was wondering if I had reached my bodies set point weight? (I used to be around 9st 7 before all the weight went on from illness and mobility problems in early 2002.. at my largest I was 16st in 2002)
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Go to M&S - they will measure you and you aren't obliged to buy - though it is good to try on to see the difference when you are wearing a properly fitting bra. When you are measured for a bra it is done with your bra on (I know some people don't get measured because they think they have to do it braless)

To work out your cup size measure below the bust and then measure around the bust -if the size below the bust is odd add 5 inches, if it is even add 4 inches - so you would be 40. Then measure round the fullest part of your bust (with bra on) - if they are the same, i.e. 40 and 40 you are an A cup, 1 inch difference is B cup, 2 inches difference is C cup etc. etc.

Hope this helps :-)
  • puppycloud
    Options
    Here's an online calculator where you can find your bra size
    http://www.whatsmybrasize.co.uk/

Remember that if you go down one band size, you usually have to go up one cup size. Like 36B to 34D.
    Most women wear the wrong bra size actually, the best is to get yourself measured like the others have said.
  • shakybabe
    Options

:

I would try on a smaller band with a bigger cup and see how that works. It certainly did wonders for me. I was walking around wearing a 36C for ages and the band would always ride up my back or I would be falling out of the bottom of the bra. I got some 34D's and boy.. what a difference that has made!

I get the problem of my boobs coming out of the bottom of my bra, so that size is too big when that happens? mind you my old bra's were like 40DD's or something like that! :embarassed:
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Thanks.. I'll ask sister-in-law she's coming to pick me up with bro today to visit step-mum for Mothers Day, see if I can get some measurements. My step-mum hasn't seen me since before xmas so I'm wondering what she will say now or notice if she thinks I'm any thinner than before xmas!

Does anyone know answer to the losing fat or muscle question please?

Thanks!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Firstly... Someone mentioned on here that if you are losing inches but not pounds it must be fat you are losing cos it takes up more space than muscle or something? .. I had lost more inches than the other person had even though they had lost much more in pounds in a much shorter time. I haven't even got to 3 stone lost yet and started last June, they were at something like 4-5stone lost in a few months but only a few inches?.. I was wondering how this was possible?

I was saying how lost 13" from around tummy and 7 " from around the waist quite quickly last year but now the inches seemed to have stalled (though I never measured anywhere else at start tbh cos I just wanted to lose tummy).. I do know I've also lost 5" off boobs they gone down from 40 to a 35.
    Yes. Most estimates say that human body fat to takes up about 1100 cc/kg, and that lean body mass (muscle plus bone, organs, sinew, etc) takes up about 910 to 920 cc/kg.

What has probably happened is that you have lost fat and gained muscle. Congratulations on your success and all your inches lost! :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i would say you have probably built muscle - have a look at this for a comparison!!!
    http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

re the bra, its best to get professionally fitted at somewhere like M&S / debenhams, but remember sizing is different even between different styles in the same shop so once you have been fitted and know what to look for, its best to try your 'recommended' size and one either side when you buy new bras. I am generally a 36d, but have been been 36dd / 38c / 38d depending on the style of bra!

to work out yourself it the back / underbust measurement plus 4 if its an even number, plus 5 if its an odd number. This will give you the band size. for the cup size measure around the fullest part of the bust, and for each inch this is above your band size = 1 cup size:

eg - back measurement 30
    add 4 = 34 band size
    bust measurment 37
    3 inches above band size = 3 cupsizes (A,B, C) therefore size would be 34C.

a 34c is the same cupsize as a 32d / 36b, the differnece is in the band size only.

hope this helps :-)
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Get yourself measured properly !! Proper bra size will make you look better and will feel more comfortable. But bear in mind different shops do vary a bit in size. I have bought bras from asda before and they are generous in their cup sizing and do they are comfy!!

I think if you still have weight to lose then it's most likely your body will burn off fat before muscle but I am in no way an expert.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    Thanks for answers. I didn't realise I could have built muscle and thats why weight was going down so slowly. I was expecting it to be slow anyway as have underactive thyroid and mobility difficulties which restrict what and how much exercises I can do so had given myself a year to get from 12st 7 to to under 10st 7!.. which is the top end of healthy for my height.

I got a bit further than expected a bit quicker when I dropped wheat at end of last august and dropped 18lb in september! .. so by xmas I had managed to reach 10st 3 when my initial goal was to get from 12st 7 (June) to11st by xmas day! .. so I changed my goal at xmas to reach 9st 7 by my next birthday (6th June). I used to be around 9st 7 when I was young, fit and active.. so maybe that's my bodies natural weight? (without any additional fat etc).

so If I can see outline of ribs and collarbone etc does that mean I've lost the additional body fat and will be in healthy body fat range again when I reach goal? .. my BMI is under 25 now.

I know our range fluctuates by about 5lbs daily but I'd be happy to be fluctuating between around 9st 3 - 9st 8 (as its usually around 5lbs for me).. and hopefully not more than 9st 12 at TOTM... my next goal will be to stay under 10st throughout the menopuase!! :ohwell:
  • shakybabe
    Options
    so my bust is 34 now and just under is 31.

band size 31+5= 36!
    bust 34

what happens if my bust is BELOW my band size? how do I work out cup size?

what are the extra 5" for anyway? .. mine have gone quite flat with the weight loss, they've not been this small since I was at high school and they were still growing.. lol!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    How to measure and fit a bra in three easy steps:
    http://www.herroom.com/bra-fitting-advice,901,30.html

STEP 1: Measure for band size:

How to Measure Bra Band Size
    Keeping the measuring tape parallel with the ground, measure around your bra directly under your bust after expelling all air from your lungs - you want this measurement to be as small as possible. Round all fractional measurements to the nearest whole number.

If the measurement is even, add 4"
    If the measurement is odd, add 5"

Need help?
    Expanded bra band measuring instructions »

STEP 2: Measure for cup size:

How to Measure Bra Cup Size
    Standing straight, with your arms at your side, measure at the fullest part of your bust (while wearing a non-padded bra) making sure the measuring tape is parallel with the ground and not binding.
    Round all fractional measurements to the nearest whole number.

Need help?
    Expanded bra cup measuring instructions »

STEP 3: *Calculate your bra size:

Subtract your band measurement (step 1) from your cup measurement (step 2). Generally, for each inch in difference, the cup goes up by one size. See the cup size conversion chart here.

Example:
    Step 1: 34" under measurement +4" = 38" band
    Step 2: 40" over measurement
    Step 3: 40" - 38" = 2" or Cup "B"
    Your size would be 38B

If The Difference Is: Your Standard Cup Size Is:
    0"-1/2" (1.3 cm) AA
    1/2"- 1" (2.6 cm) A
    2" (5.1 cm) B
    3" (7.6 cm) C
    4" (10.2 cm) D
    5" (12.7 cm) DD * or E *
    6" (15.2 cm) DDD * or F *
    7" (17.8 cm) G *
    8" (20.3 cm) H *
    9" (22.9 cm) I *
    10" (25.4 cm) J *
  • shakybabe
    Options
    my band measurement is bigger than my bust measurement, so how can I subtract 36 from 34 that gives me -2? .. do I just count that as 2" even though its a negative number? .. so I'd be a 34B? .. or 36B?
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It'd actually be your measurement before you add the inches I believe, which is 3 inch difference or size C cup.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    DON'T add anything to your underbust measurement to get your underband size. Your underband size IS your measurement. If you measure 35 inches, for instance, get a 34 band, it'll stretch.
    I'm 34 under and 37 over and take a 34C in pretty much all shops.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    jeez I'm confused now, maths was never my strong point to start with! :noway:
  • Taffyali
    Taffyali Posts: 17
    Options
    I have never been able to get a consistent answer on bra sizing! I think Marks & Spencers still use the method of measuring under the breast, add 4 for an even result or 5 for an odd result etc etc, however, I've seen a few websites lately which now say this is an outdated way of measuring (unless of course you are going to buy an M&S bra).

There definitely isn't a definitive answer as each manufacturer will make bras slightly different anyway and that's before you start to consider the different styles!

The best thing I can recommend is to start with your current bra. Take a look at what is wrong - if it is riding up at the back it is too big - if the cup is saggy - then the cup is too big. You may need to try a few different bras on - pain in the butt but will be for the best.

HTH